PDA

View Full Version : GOOD SOUTHERN TEA (1 gallon)

NA4BH
03-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Two (2 quart) Luzianne Tea Bags
"X" amount of boiling water (with "X" being less than 1 gallon)
2 cups of sugar

Boil the water, add tea bags, let steep, add sugar. STIR
Pour mixture into a 1 gallon container and add water to make 1 gallon.
Place container in fridge.
Lemon as needed.

Diabetics, disregard recipe.

kd8dey
03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
2 cups of sugar

Lemon as needed.

Diabetics, disregard recipe.

Just substitute Splenda, "Measures like sugar, Tastes like sugar" (at least according to their ad)
actually you need to reduce the Splenda by 1/4 of the amount of sugar in recipes.

If I'm out motoring I occasionally grab a can of Arizona sweet tea.
Hard to beat such a large can for only 99cents.
Disclaimer: No I don't work for the company, Just a satisfied customer.

Speaking of sugar, I'm doing a nice spice cake with whipped sour cream frosting. Should top off my "Sugar" level through the roof.

W4RLR
03-10-2011, 11:25 PM
2 cups of sugar

Lemon as needed.

Diabetics, disregard recipe.Screw that! My doctor and my dentist tell me to abstain from the consumption of the table wine of the South. There are some things I just will not do. I've already given up enough in my diet. Tea made in the Southern tradition, the way that the Lord Almighty intended, is one thing that is still on my menu. I'm still trying to wean myself onto Splenda, but the cost of the stuff rivals crack cocaine.

KA5PIU
03-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Hello,.

I do not like Splenda, it has nearly the same effect that the powdered coke does to the tongue, instant numb.
The cost is not an issue, I can get all I would ever want by way of Mexico. ;)

W3MIV
03-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Do not like sweet tea. Thank the lord most folks throughout the South still have the good sense to ask before just bringing you tea-flavored syrup. Just add lemon and enjoy the taste of the tea -- not a bunch of cane sugar.

W1GUH
03-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Me, too. Always liked iced tea unsweetened. Not that I hate sugar, mind you. After all it is one of the important food groups (along with fat, salt, and alcohol). Guess I get plenty of sugar, well, HFCS usually, in soft drinks.

As for iced tea, my favorite will always be sassafrass roots boiled for a long time. THAT I'll drink with sugar -- tastes like root beer.

And for hot tea -- Dameana with little honey. Liquid gold!

w3bny
03-11-2011, 11:39 AM
See you done did screw up once you used Looser-anne teabags. BLEH. Lipton or nothing! Go to Sams, In the tea section get the restaurant sized bags. get another Mr. Coffee (one that has a pause feature if you take the carafe out) and never make coffee in it. Stuff one pillow in the basket. take out the carafe and turn on the unit for about a minute to wet the bag. Turn it off and wait 3 minutes. Put the carafe back in and turn it on. when its done, leave it on for 5 minutes then put it in a gallon jug, two cups (more like 2.5 cups because you want it to stand up to the ice) of sugar, stir like hell, THEN add water and keep stirring like hell while its filling up. Give it 5 minutes and make another one cuz that one is going to be gone.

Loozer-anne tea...HAH!.

W1GUH
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
The trouble with iced tea is it makes me pee MORE than beer does.

w3bny
03-11-2011, 12:29 PM

actually...it does that to me too. Thats how we keep hydrated/dehydrated in Texas.

N9FE
03-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm with Albi. Lemon only for me please.

WV6Z
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Hot with cream and sugar please, screw the ice cubes and screw the lemon.

n6hcm
03-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Me, too. Always liked iced tea unsweetened. Not that I hate sugar, mind you. After all it is one of the important food groups (along with fat, salt, and alcohol).

+1

i like sweet, but sweetened iced tea feels like that powdered crap that you have to add water to ... yecch.

second-place yecch: peach/mango/... tea.

tea should taste like tea!

W3MIV
03-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Hot with cream and sugar please, screw the ice cubes and screw the lemon.

You damned Brits are sooooooooooooo predictable.

WV6Z
03-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, but that's why everyone loves us. It's a bit like marching to battle in a straight line wearing bright red coats, innit?

W3MIV
03-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Yeah, but that's why everyone loves us. It's a bit like marching to battle in a straight line wearing bright red coats, innit?

Aye, but when it worked -- it really worked. :)

HUGH
03-12-2011, 04:01 PM
http://www.kitchenniche.ca/images/tea%20press%20teapot%20bodum%20assam%201%20l.jpg

Our tea is always made in a Bodum teapot, a pint of tea for each of us at a time, small dash of milk and some sugar for me.
In Tibet you'd have Yak butter, probably much better than using a stale teabag and powdered milk.

KA9MOT
03-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Southern Style Sweet Tea is like nectar from God.......and why Bubba has no teeth....

No sugar and 1 cut up lemon and 1 orange in mine please...wash both well and leave the peel on.

Then again, I am from the North Eastern United States and like boiled food.

ab1ga
03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Then again, I am from the North Eastern United States and like boiled food.

Sometimes boiled is the right way. Deep-fried lobster?

NQ6U
03-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Sometimes boiled is the right way. Deep-fried lobster?

How about a nice, boiled rib eye? Yum.

ab1ga
03-13-2011, 10:03 PM
How about a nice, boiled rib eye? Yum.

Over spaghetti?

NQ6U
03-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Over spaghetti?

Only if the spaghetti is breaded and deep-fried.

kd8dey
03-14-2011, 06:50 AM

Beer will be the urination of me >Benny Hill

ab1ga
03-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Only if the spaghetti is breaded and deep-fried.

What about the spam?

NQ6U
03-14-2011, 01:47 PM
What about the spam?

If it's boiled, you mean?

ab1ga
03-14-2011, 01:59 PM
If it's boiled, you mean?

How do you prepare it to best complement boiled ribeye and deep-fried spaghetti? Spam scampi? Spam mole'? Spam a la mode?

NQ6U
03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Pistachio gelato with a Spam and baked beans topping.

W3MIV
03-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Nah, better with refried beans. Ask Rudi.

ab1ga
03-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Gelato is sweet, and the molasses in baked beans is also sweet, we need to try something else. Also, can't be salty like the Spam. I've got it:

Pistachio gelato with Spam and BAKED ASPARAGUS topping.

Mmmmm!

NQ6U
03-14-2011, 02:13 PM
"Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans and Spam hasn't got much Spam in it."

ab1ga
03-14-2011, 02:15 PM
"Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans and Spam hasn't got much Spam in it."

"Bloody Vikings!"

ab1ga
03-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Nah, better with refried beans. Ask Rudi.

Albi, you need to stay away from Rudi, you've caught BPTE from him TWICE already.
God in Heaven, how much roast pork loin and Jaegermeister can you take?

:-)

W4RLR
03-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Gelato is sweet, and the molasses in baked beans is also sweet, we need to try something else. Also, can't be salty like the Spam. I've got it:

Pistachio gelato with Spam and BAKED ASPARAGUS topping.

Mmmmm!Not only will you pee, but your pee will stink.

ab1ga
03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Not only will you pee, but your pee will stink.

Good, there's a bear wandering around the woods behind me and I need to mark my territory so even HE knows it's off-limits.

W3MIV
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Good, there's a bear wandering around the woods behind me and I need to mark my territory so even HE knows it's off-limits.

Hope he doesn't like Spargel.

NQ6U
03-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Does that bear...yeah, yeah, of course he does.

ab1ga
03-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Does that bear...yeah, yeah, of course he does.

With my luck, he'll do that right where I'm gonna... yeah, you know. The decision on whether to escalate will take me into uncharted (yet marked, twice) territory.