PDA

View Full Version : Interesting gig last night.

N7YA
03-10-2011, 08:43 PM
We were contracted to play a corporate event last night at the Monte Carlo. Seemed like a small convention party, about 50 people or so. It turned out to be a Vegas meeting for Icom reps. None of the members of the band knew what it meant, but i could tell right away...these were hams. They had "the look".

We have a beautiful female singer, and the venue hired three beautiful women to dress like devil girls (yes, they were hot), and hams being the sexless dorks we are, stood right in front of the stage and started taking pictures...only of her...and only her girl parts...for uncomfortable amounts of time. And they also were trying really hard to rub on the devil girls, only to be poked in the chest by their plastic pitchforks and told to back off. This went on all night. Really embarassing.

Anyone want to take a guess why i didnt go around and introduce myself as a ham? Or why i havent been to a club meeting of any kind since the 80's? My bandmates know im a long time ham, but fortunately they know im not like those guys, but now they know why i dont talk it about it too much.

I love my hobby, i will always be a ham, but wow!

Anyone have any similar stories? We can work through this pain together...unless you're a UT, of course. :lol:

KG4CGC
03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Hams, Shriners, Window salesmen, doesn't matter the career or avocation, they all act the same when they think the wife won't find out what the dog has been doing. Of course, men in the presence of their peer group must act out to prove who has the biggest caveman cranial brow ridge.
There is a female version of this behavior that can get to a strikingly similar set of male behavior patterns. In desperate situations, the female of the species can become hermaphroditic and grow a penis and convert to producing sperm if the drive to reproduce and lead a tribe is strong enough.

ab1ga
03-10-2011, 09:56 PM
In my raw youth I helped defray the cost of college by occasionally throwing undesired people out of a bar and sweeping up after closing. There were many tales of wild behavior, not all of it synchronized with the full moon. The funniest was about a Christmas party we hosted for a local bank. At first drinks got the talk going, the next drinks increased the volume, and at it's peak those Boston bankers were dancing on the tables twirling their jackets around the head, hootin' and hollerin', male and female alike.

So it's not just ham radio operators, it's pretty much everybody. I think hams appear worse because of the skew in the age distribution; if we're not at home with a lap blanket and a cup of tea, we're in the grips of male menopause, reaching back to a wild youth we never had, because we dreamed of P5 instead of YL.

NA4BH
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
In my raw youth I helped defray the cost of college by occasionally throwing undesired people out of a bar and sweeping up after closing. There were many tales of wild behavior, not all of it synchronized with the full moon. The funniest was about a Christmas party we hosted for a local bank. At first drinks got the talk going, the next drinks increased the volume, and at it's peak those Boston bankers were dancing on the tables twirling their jackets around the head, hootin' and hollerin', male and female alike.

So it's not just ham radio operators, it's pretty much everybody. I think hams appear worse because of the skew in the age distribution; if we're not at home with a lap blanket and a cup of tea, we're in the grips of male menopause, reaching back to a wild youth we never had, because we dreamed of P5 instead of YL.

You forgot to say HELLO. :lol: :lol:

ab1ga
03-10-2011, 10:21 PM
You forgot to say HELLO. :lol: :lol:

Nay, nay, I say! The dreaded BPTE dared not invade my space, or taint my precious bodily fluids.

And whereas I may embellish the language in my tales, the facts are as they were. I did not, as I mentioned, witness the Bankers' Bacchanalia personally, but those months I spent plying the trade of human trash disposal has left me with no doubt that it occurred as described. In fact, I would require all young people to work as a bartender, waiter/waitress, or bouncer for at least six months in order to gain a true appreciation of human nature. It's nothing short of amazing to see how quickly allegedly normal and friendly people can turn supremely ugly on a Saturday night.

NA4BH
03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Nay, nay, I say! The dreaded BPTE dared not invade my space, or taint my precious bodily fluids.

And whereas I may embellish the language in my tales, the facts are as they were. I did not, as I mentioned, witness the Bankers' Bacchanalia personally, but those months I spent plying the trade of human trash disposal has left me with no doubt that it occurred as described. In fact, I would require all young people to work as a bartender, waiter/waitress, or bouncer for at least six months in order to gain a true appreciation of human nature. It's nothing short of amazing to see how quickly allegedly normal and friendly people can turn supremely ugly on a Saturday night.

Did they issue you an APU? :stickpoke:

NQ6U
03-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Did they issue you an APU? :stickpoke:

Hello.

No, but they did give him a Motorola 800MHz band HT.
It was modified using TV horizontal sweep transistors to produce full legal power from DC through 10GHz.
Thanks to his ability to suspend the laws of thermodynamics, it ran for twelve hours on three AAA batteries.

ab1ga
03-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Bartender,

May I throw these people out?

:-)

KG4CGC
03-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Kevin is the Island Bouncer but why would you want to throw out such a knowledgeably outstanding group of people?
You simply need ask for more drinks or take an umbrella drink from the bar where they are kept stocked and ready.

NA4BH
03-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Kevin is the Island Bouncer but why would you want to throw out such a knowledgeably outstanding group of people?
You simply need ask for more drinks or take an umbrella drink from the bar where they are kept stocked and ready.

Hello.

Is knowledgeably even a word? I can't find in my ICBM code book.

NQ6U
03-10-2011, 10:58 PM
According to the Oxford American Dictionary it is.

knowledgeable (also knowledgable)
adjective
intelligent and well informed : she is very knowledgeable about livestock and pedigrees.
DERIVATIVES
knowledgeability noun
knowledgeably adverb

ab1ga
03-10-2011, 11:02 PM

Tell Kevin to take a quick break, I'm trying to relive part of my wasted youth here.
And I will have a drink, thank you. Fresca and Ricola, please. Please omit any and all fungi. And mix yourself whatever you like, on my tab.

NA4BH
03-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Tell Kevin to take a quick break, I'm trying to relive part of my wasted youth here.
And I will have a drink, thank you. Fresca and Ricola, please. Please omit any and all fungi. And mix yourself whatever you like, on my tab.

Fresca and Ricola, so you freebase. You're OK in my book. :clap:

KG4CGC
03-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Fresca and Ricola with a shot of Jagermeister mixed in?

n2ize
03-11-2011, 07:22 AM
There is good reason why I never tell anyone I'm a ham radio operator and, when anyone asks me, I deny it.

W3WN
03-11-2011, 12:32 PM
< snip >We have a beautiful female singer, and the venue hired three beautiful women to dress like devil girls (yes, they were hot) < snip >Someone has to say it. So, I'll fall on my sword.

Pictures! Pictures or it didn't happen! :evil:

Seriously, it's a sad fact of life that too many people lose their inhibitions when they've had a couple of drinks... or more. And some people, frankly, are anal orifaces even without the effects of too much booze. Sounds like you ran into a gaggle of them, and I'm sorry that they embarrassed you, and us.

And some jerks and UT's take the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" mantra a little too literally. It doesn't mean that professional models who are dressed in costume for an event means that they are professionals in other areas as well, but some schmucks are clueless... or careless.

And... you should have come to my club meeting last night. We had pizza!

ab1ga
03-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Fresca and Ricola with a shot of Jagermeister mixed in?

Just Fresca and Ricola. I've been banished to the wagon, no more hooch for moi.

N7YA
03-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I dont deny being a ham if someone asks, and theres nothing wrong with being a nerd at all. But hams are generally a special kind of nerd that is often very vocal and opinionated, as well as cheap...and i was working with the service industry people, and im sure the hams didnt tip very well. Sometimes its best to not mention that you share a commonality with guys like the ones i saw the other night.