PDA

View Full Version : 1970's Popular Science Article on LCD's REDUX

n2ize
03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
At the time of this article LCD's were just merging onto the scene. Soome of the predictions for LCD's were interesting. Many came true.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IxqcYRVu67sC&lpg=PP1&dq=popular%20science%20%2B%201972&pg=PA78#v=onepage&q&f=false

NQ6U
03-10-2011, 07:07 PM
LCD video displays? Yeah, right, like that's ever gonna happen...

(Gotta love that "pocket" calculator. Bet it cost a bundle back then.)

KA5PIU
03-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Hello.

"Glass" that "Clouds up" is one very practical application, that and the "Solar Cell" joined forces to produce the Auto-Darkening welding helmet.
Windshield visors that tint do exist, but the crystals are directly controlled by the sunlight, much like auto sunglasses.
Liquid crystal displays made it into the dashboard of most modern automobiles in one form or another.
The other thing, the laser binoculars, point them at a piece of glass and you have a very effective listening device. ;)

W1GUH
03-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for that, John...nice walk down memory lane. One thing that was predicted for LCD's 'way back when was variable rear view mirrors, especially that pesky side mirror that ALWAYS seems to have too-bright high beam glaring from it. I believe that high-end cars have outside mirrors that automatically adjust to something like that....sure with they'd make their way into the lower-end vehicles -- seems like a big safety factor.

But flat TV tubes you can hang on a wall? Yeah, right. They'll never replace a good ol' CRT that glows in the dark!

W5GA
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
LCD video displays? Yeah, right, like that's ever gonna happen...

(Gotta love that "pocket" calculator. Bet it cost a bundle back then.)
My uncle was going to buy me a calculator in 1971 IIRC. He found that a $200 model then couldn't add and subtract correctly, so I did without.

n2ize
03-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Back in the early 70's I had a slide rule. Belive it or not I still use a slide rule from time to time. Then around 1974-75 got a 10 digit Texas Instruments SR-50 "Slide Rule calculator". It could do trig functions, arc trig functions, square roots, cube roots, nth-roots, exponents, and logarithms (base ten and base e). It had a summation key, and add, subtract, multiply, and divide. It also did hyperbolic trig functions, degrees/radians, factorials, It was somewhere between $100-200 back then. Today a calculator like that ain't worth a dollar,

NQ6U
03-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I recently bought a TI calculator that will do all that and more. $6.99 at Office Depot.

X-Rated
03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Hello.

"Glass" that "Clouds up" is one very practical application, that and the "Solar Cell" joined forces to produce the Auto-Darkening welding helmet.
Windshield visors that tint do exist, but the crystals are directly controlled by the sunlight, much like auto sunglasses.
Liquid crystal displays made it into the dashboard of most modern automobiles in one form or another.
The other thing, the laser binoculars, point them at a piece of glass and you have a very effective listening device. ;)

The Boeing 787's are to have the passenger windows that can be controlled with LCD's and Gentex is using them in automotive windo applications as well.

KC2UGV
03-18-2011, 02:00 PM
And those flat screen TV have....

KNOBS!!!

KC2UGV
03-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Page 85 there shows an e-reader, at a svelte, 6 lbs.

W1GUH
03-18-2011, 02:11 PM
The Boeing 787's are to have the passenger windows that can be controlled with LCD's and Gentex is using them in automotive windo applications as well.

Now, THAT's an advancement. I can see the control..."Normal... Slightly cool... Way cool... pimp... drug dealer".

X-Rated
03-18-2011, 02:12 PM
And those flat screen TV have....

KNOBS!!!

MODS!!! OH MODS!!! He said the word again. Ban him for life or even longer.