PDA

View Full Version : Ain't these purty!

W7XF
03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Got me a new toy for the truck yesterday:
Little Tarheel II is the new one... it's already a MAJOR improvement over the Hustlers!!!

W3MIV
03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Does it perform well so low down and close to the bulk of the cab? It would seem to me that the radiation pattern would be seriously compromised by being so far under a lot of the ground plane.

W5GA
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I see DX for you in my crystal ball!

NQ6U
03-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Actually, Albi, that's up pretty high, at least six feet (1.8 meters for those Islanders who live in one of the more advanced countries) off the ground. Sure, it would be better if he could get it up right on top, but then he'd run into clearance problems. He wouldn't want the top of the antenna to be any higher than 13' 6" (4.1 meters) or he'd be taking the risk of whacking it into low overpasses or utility drops.

Also, he's driving a company truck so his mounting options are limited--no holes allowed.

W3MIV
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Actually, Albi, that's up pretty high, at least six feet (1.8 meters for those Islanders who live in one of the more advanced countries) off the ground. Sure, it would be better if he could get it up right on top, but then he'd run into clearance problems. He wouldn't want the top of the antenna to be any higher than 13' 6" (4.1 meters) or he'd be taking the risk of whacking it into low overpasses or utility drops.

Also, he's driving a company truck so his mounting options are limited--no holes allowed.

I understand that, Carl, but it appears in the tiny photo that there is a vast bulk of steel cab and wind wings extending in front, on both sides, and above the mount. It looks like it is quite low on the back of the cab. Not being a tractor hogger, I know little about the machinery. Is the cab not steel?

NQ6U
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
The cab is probably aluminum, but those wings are fiberglass. One thing to remember that the deck of a semi tractor is 4-5' off the ground (about chest high to me, and I'm a fraction of an inch shy of 6' tall). I'd estimate that the bottom mount of that antenna is roughly 3' off the deck, which would put it 7-8' off the ground.

You're right that it's a less than ideal location—especially when you consider there's a 53' trailer about four feet behind it—but sometimes compromises have to be made.

N9FE
03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
The cabs and sleepers are fiberglass. The best thing is he is away from the smoke stack. You can't go any higher without whacking bridges. The company would most likely bitch if he'd attach the the mirror bracket.

NQ6U
03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
The cabs and sleepers are fiberglass.

They're a mixture of different materials. The hood is typically fiberglass, the cab (on newer model trucks, anyhow) is aluminum, the sleeper has varying amounts of fiberglass and aluminum. The rear bulkhead that Kevin's antenna is mounted to is probably aluminum.

Kevin, do you have that antenna clamped into the load-lock holder? I always thought that I'd try that if I went back on the road.

KG4CGC
03-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Kevin, be sure to post a sked request so we can test it out on different bands and conditions.
I get a pretty good signal into Texas on 80 but it drops off as it hits Colorado. But any band any time I'm willing to help you give it a test.

KA5PIU
03-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Hello.

The bottom section is aluminum.
Where the handle goes across is the dividing line with the top section being fiberglass.
The white disc is the qualcomm unit, satellite communications on a slow scale.
For HF communications I will wait until I drop a trailer and use an insulator for the landing gear, use 2 trailers and have a large stovepipe dipole.
Since I run almost always in South Texas or Mexico, a Yagi pointed straight up gives me access to the MilStar series of satellites with 100% confidence, even with trees in the way.

N9FE
03-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Kevin, be sure to post a sked request so we can test it out on different bands and conditions.
I get a pretty good signal into Texas on 80 but it drops off as it hits Colorado. But any band any time I'm willing to help you give it a test. The radar snapper has died somewhat on 60 meters now so we can try that..

KG4CGC
03-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I for get that 60 and 30 are bands too. OK. Not a 60/30 cap able here.