PDA

View Full Version : welp. this will play out interesting

W2NAP
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
well long story short (without getting into details) ill prob be moving to the northeast soon. up to NH.

not sure the exact date or anything yet.

BUT! when it happens ill have me a HT. so i might need peeps to chat with along the way

couple routes planned. i could toll road it (80/90) and go though toledo,cland,erie,buffalo. or i could go the 70 route to 76(ithink) though cent. PA north of NYC though conn. and mass.

if i do it, ill have a HT 5w hooked to a mob 2/440 mag mount, could be interesting

W4RLR
03-07-2011, 12:21 AM
New job?

WØTKX
03-07-2011, 12:57 AM
New accent in less than two years?

W2NAP
03-07-2011, 03:25 AM
New accent in less than two years?

idk.. possible lol

RLR - thats a possibility as well. but not the main reason

N8YX
03-07-2011, 08:06 AM
As they pass through Ohio, either route has repeaters along it which I can easily hit from Akron. Be glad to put you in the log...

W3MIV
03-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Watch yerself motorin' thru Ohio. Those troopers are real assholes.

KC2UGV
03-07-2011, 09:26 AM
well long story short (without getting into details) ill prob be moving to the northeast soon. up to NH.

BUT! when it happens ill have me a HT. so i might need peeps to chat with along the way

couple routes planned. i could toll road it (80/90) and go though toledo,cland,erie,buffalo. or i could go the 70 route to 76(ithink) though cent. PA north of NYC though conn. and mass.

if i do it, ill have a HT 5w hooked to a mob 2/440 mag mount, could be interesting

If you come up short on the HT, let me know.

W2NAP
03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
if anything would leave around midnight on a sunday (get to NH mid afternoon) so if we go the buff route prob be morning when we roll though

KC2UGV
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Let me know if/when you roll through here :)

NQ6U
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Watch yerself motorin' thru Ohio. Those troopers are real assholes.

Roger that. And if you think they're bad with cars, try traversing the Buckeye State in an 18-wheeler some time. Many, many stories of truckers getting tagged for 56 mph--1 mph over the truck speed limit there.

X-Rated
03-07-2011, 11:48 AM
If you are going through the NW suburbs of Chicago, let me know.

W2NAP
03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
If you are going through the NW suburbs of Chicago, let me know.

im down in Indiana so chicago would be out of the way lol

W2NAP
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Roger that. And if you think they're bad with cars, try traversing the Buckeye State in an 18-wheeler some time. Many, many stories of truckers getting tagged for 56 mph--1 mph over the truck speed limit there.

ohio cops are pricks.. but if they see the plates on this car. right at the top it says "LIVE FREE OR DIE"

W3WN
03-07-2011, 01:58 PM

If you go via I-80 in PA, you'll be a little too far north for any repeaters in the Pittsburgh area. At least for any length of time.

If you swing south and come in on I-70 to I-76, you'll be in range of some of the southern Pittsburgh repeaters, and definitely the Washington PA machines (in the vicinity of the I-79 merge points) & some of the Westmoreland County machines (around the I-70 / I-76 / US 119 merge point) as well. Should you go this route, let me know when & I'll listen for you.

The N3FB/R repeater has very good coverage in that area. 443.650 131.8 PL.

...not only that, but if you're planning on taking a short break in that vicinity (around Washington PA, New Stanton PA, or at the intersection of I-70 & State Route 51) I might even be talked into joining you and buying you a cup of coffee!

W7XF
03-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Tony, what's her name????

X-Rated
03-07-2011, 02:39 PM
im down in Indiana so chicago would be out of the way lol

I know. What I didn't know was that there was probably a machine I could have gotten into from Kokomo where I sometimes stay that we could both work. That would have been better than watching reruns of I Love Lucy.

W2NAP
03-07-2011, 04:17 PM
I know. What I didn't know was that there was probably a machine I could have gotten into from Kokomo where I sometimes stay that we could both work. That would have been better than watching reruns of I Love Lucy.

well the best kokomo machine around here is the 147.24 (i think it is) i dont think i can get into it

W2NAP
03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
If you go via I-80 in PA, you'll be a little too far north for any repeaters in the Pittsburgh area. At least for any length of time.

If you swing south and come in on I-70 to I-76, you'll be in range of some of the southern Pittsburgh repeaters, and definitely the Washington PA machines (in the vicinity of the I-79 merge points) & some of the Westmoreland County machines (around the I-70 / I-76 / US 119 merge point) as well. Should you go this route, let me know when & I'll listen for you.

The N3FB/R repeater has very good coverage in that area. 443.650 131.8 PL.

...not only that, but if you're planning on taking a short break in that vicinity (around Washington PA, New Stanton PA, or at the intersection of I-70 & State Route 51) I might even be talked into joining you and buying you a cup of coffee!

might be another idea. timing will be the key. route time ect not planned out yet

KG4CGC
03-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Need some new invention. Maybe call it, "Ohio Cruise Control." Have it linked through the GPS tracking that is already there and use it to prevent the truck from going over 54 MPH. Then when you cross the state line it readjusts for the next state the truck is in.
Hell, we can put a man on the moon but we can't use technology to help truckers stay within the law for both safety and financial reasons?

KG4CGC
03-08-2011, 12:55 AM
well long story short <snip>
Good luck in your travels and with your endeavors.

I'm looking for a good place to mount a 13 element beam for 2m. I'd try to give you a shout if I had it set up. Been considering all the possibilities to mount it around here. 30 feet up is the highest I can go for such a monster and its rotor.

W2NAP
03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Good luck in your travels and with your endeavors.

I'm looking for a good place to mount a 13 element beam for 2m. I'd try to give you a shout if I had it set up. Been considering all the possibilities to mount it around here. 30 feet up is the highest I can go for such a monster and its rotor.

when i get there i was thinking once i get some 2 meter ssb stuff takening a 2 meter all mode and a 13b2 up to mount washington and playing around

ab1ga
03-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Don't get too close to the transmitter tower!

Wait a minute... you want to go to the top of Mt. Washington in March?
You are aware that the Army Cold Regions Research Laboratory uses Mt. Washington to study rime ice formation?
Or that, since 1850 or so, people have died on that mountain at the rate of about one a year?

You can take something called the SnowCoach up the mountain this time of year, but I don't know how much it costs. Unless you really like cold and snow, I'd wait until summer, and take the cog railway up. Then you can have ice cream. :-)

W2NAP
03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Don't get too close to the transmitter tower!

Wait a minute... you want to go to the top of Mt. Washington in March?
You are aware that the Army Cold Regions Research Laboratory uses Mt. Washington to study rime ice formation?
Or that, since 1850 or so, people have died on that mountain at the rate of about one a year?

You can take something called the SnowCoach up the mountain this time of year, but I don't know how much it costs. Unless you really like cold and snow, I'd wait until summer, and take the cog railway up. Then you can have ice cream. :-)

it would be a summer time thing.. and only if i can snag a 2/440 all mode.

ab1ga
03-08-2011, 06:31 PM
it would be a summer time thing.. and only if i can snag a 2/440 all mode.

I know there's a repeater on Mt. Washington, so the club that runs it may be able to loan you one for the duration. If your trip timing is right, I was going to suggest checking for a Field Day operation on the mountain, but a bit of Google-Fu reveals that there's an auto race up the mountain on Field Day weekend, which some area hams provide comms for. You might be able to join the race support team and get some time on a rig to do your own thing, too.

Will you be staying in the White Mountain region, or further south?

W2NAP
03-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I know there's a repeater on Mt. Washington, so the club that runs it may be able to loan you one for the duration. If your trip timing is right, I was going to suggest checking for a Field Day operation on the mountain, but a bit of Google-Fu reveals that there's an auto race up the mountain on Field Day weekend, which some area hams provide comms for. You might be able to join the race support team and get some time on a rig to do your own thing, too.

Will you be staying in the White Mountain region, or further south?

i will end up living just east of manchester,

ab1ga
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
i will end up living just east of manchester,

Welcome to New England in advance, and I hope you like it here. Just so you know, there's a Ham Radio Outlet in Salem, NH, which is a comfortable drive from the area you'll be living in. :-)

W2NAP
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Welcome to New England in advance, and I hope you like it here. Just so you know, there's a Ham Radio Outlet in Salem, NH, which is a comfortable drive from the area you'll be living in. :-)

indeed there is. one of the 1st places ill be stopping

W3WN
03-09-2011, 02:17 PM
might be another idea. timing will be the key. route time etc. not planned out yetNo worries. If it looks like you'll be coming on 70, let us know. Washington PA has a lot of very nice places to grab a bite along Murtland Avenue (US 19), US 40, and just off of 70 -- this is in the vicinity of the I-79 North to I-79 South intersections.

Heck, given enough time, we might even be able to coax KB3LIX into an eyeball!

W2NAP
03-09-2011, 08:51 PM
No worries. If it looks like you'll be coming on 70, let us know. Washington PA has a lot of very nice places to grab a bite along Murtland Avenue (US 19), US 40, and just off of 70 -- this is in the vicinity of the I-79 North to I-79 South intersections.

Heck, given enough time, we might even be able to coax KB3LIX into an eyeball!

yea google, keeps suggesting the 70-71-76-80 route.