PDA

View Full Version : How things change.

n2ize
03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Most kids nowadays have never heard of a head shop. I remember back when head shops were quite common. sadly they died out over the Reagan/Bush era. The head shop was a great thing. really sad so many good things are gone.

kf0rt
03-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Remember those days, too.

Oddly, I've driven through downtown Denver numerous times lately and see a lot of "get your marijuana here" signs on storefronts. All medical, of course (wink, wink). It's just a little odd to see it all in the open like that.

N7RJD
03-04-2011, 07:09 PM
It's not that they died out during the Reagan/Bush years.
It's more that the name "Head Shop" was redefined during
the Clinton years.:rofl::rofl:

NQ6U
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM
There's a tiny strip mall in Spring Valley, about 2 miles from the Islets, that's made up entirely of a motorcycle parts store, a bar, a tattoo parlor and a medical marijuana outlet. Talk about your one-stop shopping destinations...

W7XF
03-04-2011, 07:32 PM
There's a tiny strip mall in Spring Valley, about 2 miles from the Islets, that's made up entirely of a motorcycle parts store, a bar, a tattoo parlor and a medical marijuana outlet. Talk about your one-stop shopping destinations...

All they need now is a Walmart Stupidcenter to complete the strip mall xD

W4RLR
03-04-2011, 08:13 PM
All they need now is a massage parlor to complete the strip mall xDFixed it for ya!

WA4TM
03-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Richard, didn't ya know, that was in the back room of the tattoo parlor!!!:lol:

KG4CGC
03-04-2011, 09:15 PM
happy ending

W5RB
03-05-2011, 02:26 AM
I was thinkin' cheap motel and a free clinic...

NQ6U
03-05-2011, 02:53 AM
My XYL just pointed out that I forgot to mention that there's a head shop in that mall along with the other stores.

suddenseer
03-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I live close to the village of Yellow Springs, Ohio. There are at least 2 70's era relic head shops still in business.

WV6Z
03-05-2011, 10:39 AM
My XYL just pointed out that I forgot to mention that there's a head shop in that mall along with the other stores.

In our rather small city, as well as the adjoining larger one, we have a butt load of Tobacconists, but very few remaining tobacco and smoke shops. I walked in to the newest one here in our small city to inquire for a friend as to the availability of 'roll your own' tobaccos and cigarette devices. The reply to my question was, "Oh, sorry man, we don't sell tobacco, cigars or cigarettes." For some reason, after looking in the display cases and at the shelves lining the walls, I felt like a complete idiot by being fooled in to thinking that 'Randy's Smoke Shoppe' would actually offer, shall we say, 'legal' stuff for sale to smoke.

WV6Z
03-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Oh, I also meant to say that there are still some truly amazing and talented glass blowers out there!

suddenseer
03-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I love glassware.

KG4CGC
03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
In our rather small city, as well as the adjoining larger one, we have a butt load of Tobacconists, but very few remaining tobacco and smoke shops. I walked in to the newest one here in our small city to inquire for a friend as to the availability of 'roll your own' tobaccos and cigarette devices. The reply to my question was, "Oh, sorry man, we don't sell tobacco, cigars or cigarettes." For some reason, after looking in the display cases and at the shelves lining the walls, I felt like a complete idiot by being fooled in to thinking that 'Randy's Smoke Shoppe' would actually offer, shall we say, 'legal' stuff for sale to smoke.
Did you watch the local FOX affiliate this week? Spice is still available as well as salts. For those who are not aware, spice is fake pot that gets you high. It is being said that Spice is an herbal blend that in and of itself is no more harmful than traditional Native American ceremonial smoking blends like kinick kinick. The problem is that it is coated with a chemical from the Far East that may cause health problems.
Salts are being marketed as bath salts but, they are a form of meth that is legal and can be smoked or snorted. It causes both the speed sensation as well as strong hallucinations.
Spice is not detectable via standard drug testing methods and Salts, I would imagine, is close enough to meth to be detectable. Having done LSD and mushrooms way back in the day, (hey - it was the 80s man) I can say that the last thing you want to be doing is speeding your balls off while negotiating hallucinations. They interviewed a guy in Asheville who said he was up for three days hallucinating from the salts. He tried to drink it off to get some sleep but the alcohol actually fueled the speed effect of the Salts.

These days, I'm way too old to experiment with unknown variables.

Then they were on there calling Salvia "The New Marijuana." Two totally different drugs with very dissimilar effects. Of course, this is from the same group that asked if pot was crack or if crack was pot.

NQ6U
03-05-2011, 03:14 PM
From the Wikipedia:

On 24 November 2010, the DEA announced that it would make JWH-018, JWH-073, JWH-200, CP-47,497 and cannabicyclohexanol, which are often found in synthetic cannabis [aka spice], illegal using emergency powers. They will be placed in Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, within a month of the announcement, and the ban will last for at least a year. The temporary ban, for at least a year, came in to effect on 1 March 2011.

WV6Z
03-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Oh well, that blows my idea for a Saturday afternoon. I guess it's off to Corbett McGhee's or El Patron for plain old beer for me.

n2ize
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
From the Wikipedia:

Well, thank God Nanny is protecting us. Good luck with them banning it being that it is already all over the Internet.