PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen! Start your whining!

KJ3N
03-04-2011, 11:15 AM
ARRL DX SSB (http://www.arrl.org/arrl-dx) this weekend.

I predict a Bitchfest on QRZ within 12 hours of the start of the contest, if not before it even starts. :lol:

W5RB
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
They miss the whine from the heterodyne of the AM days .

N8YX
03-04-2011, 11:22 AM
It's going to be rainy all weekend here, and "DSG has to work. I just may fire up the '751A/R71A/'2KL setup and play...

W5RB
03-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Looks like I won't be at BirmingHamFest , so I might fire up on 10 , for what it's worth . I'll be running a station with less kick than most of those whiners have , but I'll have some fun regardless .

NQ6U
03-04-2011, 01:20 PM
From the ARRL site:

Contest Objective—W/VE amateurs work as many amateur stations in as many DXCC countries of the world as possible on 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meter bands.

W amateurs? How about K or N or A amateurs? Are they excluded?

W4GPL
03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Dern contestors r ruining ham radio!!!!

KJ3N
03-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Dern contestors r ruining ham radio!!!!

Take the $200M lawsuit to the system.

KB3LIX
03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
ARRL DX SSB (http://www.arrl.org/arrl-dx) this weekend.

I predict a Bitchfest on QRZ within 12 hours of the start of the contest, if not before it even starts. :lol:

Let 'em whine.
It keeps their blood pressure UP !

I LOVE to antagonize the ANTI's, but I tend to stay off QRZ these days.
Just isn't worth the effort.

PA5COR
03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Good, might add some USA contacts on 160 then.
And there's always WARC bands to hide in ;)

NQ6U
03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
I'd be willing to bet that the ones who whine the loudest aren't on the bands all that much anyhow. If they were, they'd have noticed how dead things are five days out of seven.

W4RLR
03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Looks like I won't be at BirmingHamFest , so I might fire up on 10 , for what it's worth . I'll be running a station with less kick than most of those whiners have , but I'll have some fun regardless .A shame. I wanted to go to Birmingham myself. Not enough cash in the kitty and I'm still not up to snuff after the hospital stay. But I will get to the club house to operate from there.

KJ3N
03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
How did a hamfest post wind up in the contesting section?

NQ6U
03-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Mooslum infiltrators working for TSA. It's a conspiracy to pollute our precious Intertoobs fluids.

KJ3N
03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Mooslum infiltrators working for TSA. It's a conspiracy to pollute our precious Intertoobs fluids.

P O E

"Mein Fuhrer! I can valk!!!"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EpWyBZJXhgI/SQ4_ZxV2NII/AAAAAAAACUo/FYvMjkKDJ_Q/s400/Dr+Strangelove-725873.jpg

W5RB
03-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Uh, 'cause I live to piss off the purist ? Or is that purest ? It's just where the thread wandered .I spend too much time eating to be a real contester , and bathe too often to be the classic hamfester , yet I'm far from well-rounded . Though I am rather round . Next question .

KJ3N
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I'd be willing to bet that the ones who whine the loudest aren't on the bands all that much anyhow.

Oh, they're on, but you can't hear them because they can't muster a signal to save their lives. To them, working from NJ to FL, or from CA to CO is a BFD.

:lame:

ab1ga
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
W amateurs? How about K or N or A amateurs? Are they excluded?

Absolutely. We can't play, absolutely not. We have to sit in the living room with our families and catch up on our needlepoint. At least we'll be able to share our tales of woe with the non-VE Canadian amateurs.

Ya gotta lighten up, yer sounding like one of them nit-pickin' libruls who insist on using the word "stevedore".

Bartender, the natives are restless, and I suspect a taint in the Island water supply! Straight shots only until we root out the problem!

W3WN
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
W amateurs? How about K or N or A amateurs? Are they excluded?Yes. You can't work DX this weekend. :neener::muhahaha::rofl::monkeydance:

W3WN
03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Well, if we have to explain it, you'll never understand :evil:

WV6Z
03-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Oh, they're on, but you can't hear them because they can't muster a signal to save their lives. To them, working from NJ to FL, or from CA to CO is a BFD.

:lame:

You are likely close to 100% correct. I thought that contest weekends were precisely the reason that the telephone was invented. If they were to bring back party lines, the conveyance of critical information like NOT soiling of one's Depends last night or no prostate issues this morning could be quickly conveyed to those who have a genuine interest and free up space on the bands for a bit of radio fun for the rest of us. I dunno, I guess my favorite nets are those used for scooping up fish or catching butterflies..............

KA5PIU
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Hello.

I can easily cover every square. ;)
But, now that would be cheating.
Anyhow, HZ1TX, by way internet remote, will be on the air.
This is a 65 watt AM/USB only radio that works in steps.

KJ3N
03-05-2011, 01:22 PM

And we have a winnah!! :lol:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?287656-CQ-Contest....

ki4itv
03-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Wish I hadn't already farmed out all my time this weekend. *sigh*

NQ6U
03-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Wish I hadn't already farmed out all my time this weekend. *sigh*

Yeah. Just think—you could have spent it on QRZ complaining about "them durned contesters" instead.

W3WN
03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Hello.

Yeah? Prove it.

W3WN
03-05-2011, 08:33 PM
And we have a winnah!! :lol:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?287656-CQ-Contest....
SWDT

(Same Whine Different 'Test)

Of course, the poor shnooks who actually said they were having a blast will get pilloried...

KC9ECI
03-05-2011, 09:22 PM
I worked a few this morning in a feeble attempt. Typical, go for my annual check up on Monday and now I have a cold that has left me with no voice just in time for the SSB contest. I feel like I gargled with broken glass and acid. Messed around in the CW portion of the band for a bit, and checked my winlink email account just because I could. Worked a couple DX stations that were calling on 12M earlier in the day. I didn't even know there was a contest going on had I not gone looking for it at one point.

KJ3N
03-05-2011, 09:22 PM
SWDT

(Same Whine Different 'Test)

Of course, the poor shnooks who actually said they were having a blast will get pilloried...

I just wish I didn't have to work today. I missed all the action on 10 and 15. Hope the SFI stays up for tomorrow.

In the mean time, I'll keep making contacts on 40m, 80m, and 160m with my "puny" 100 watts. LMAO!!!

Get a signal, or GTFO!!! :rofl: :rofl:

W7XF
03-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Hello.

I call :bs:

N8YX
03-06-2011, 06:31 AM
"...I finally got a free weekend..."

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?287656-CQ-Contest....&p=2191911#post2191911

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/Assets/crybaby.jpg

Son, lack of planning (of life's activities) on your part does not constitute an issue for the organizers of the contest (ANY contest) or the participants therein.

Suck it up and re-think your priorities. What are you doing throughout the week when the airwaves are practically QSO-free?

KC9ECI
03-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Someone either needs to man up or put on some big girl panties. IF the weekend is the only time you can find to enjoy some aspect of your hobby, perhaps it isn't the hobby for you. Try stamp collecting?

KJ3N
03-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Someone either needs to man up or put on some big girl panties. IF the weekend is the only time you can find to enjoy some aspect of your hobby, perhaps it isn't the hobby for you. Try stamp collecting?

No, you just have to be flexible.

Most of this complaining deals with the fact that you have what I call One Mode Morons. They only do (pick a mode) and when the contest is that mode, they cry. It would never dawn on them that it might be a perfect time to explore other modes.

Phone contest? Try RTTY, PSK31, CW (not going to happen here ;) ), etc. CW contest? Try phone, RTTY, SSTV, digital SSTV, etc.

Point is, there's more to ham radio that the only mode you seem to be able to deal with.

WV6Z
03-06-2011, 09:30 AM

I participate as time permits and if the whim hits me. My CEO fails to find the humor in moving the keyboards and monitors off of my desk so that I can set up my portable ops station in my office. Oh, and I am wearing my big girl panties, thank you very much........ the yellow ones with the pink and blue flowers.......

KJ3N
03-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Oh, and I am wearing my big girl panties, thank you very much........ the yellow ones with the pink and blue flowers.......

TMI :hand:

:lol:

KJ3N
03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
BTW, you know it's going to be a good day for radio when you work KH6YR on 10m, with 100 watts, off of the 160m antenna! :rock:

KJ3N
03-06-2011, 03:34 PM
BTW, you know it's going to be a good day for radio when you work KH6YR on 10m, with 100 watts, off of the 160m antenna! :rock:

Add E51CG on South Cook Island to the 10m tally. :rock: :rock:

KC9ECI
03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I haven't even been in the shack yet today. I might go later this evening to make my annual check in on the local 2M nets.

KJ3N
03-06-2011, 06:19 PM
I haven't even been in the shack yet today. I might go later this evening to make my annual check in on the local 2M nets.

:sleep: :sleep:

n2ize
03-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I could never understand these guys who piss and moan about every contest. I am not into contesting so when there is a big contest I shut off the radio and do something else. When the contest is over I come back. No big issue. Apparently the guys who piss and moan constantly never realized their radio has an on/off switch.

KJ3N
03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Apparently the guys who piss and moan constantly never realized their radio has an on/off switch.

Or a mode switch....

W5RB
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Which one is the "common mode" , anyway ?

NQ6U
03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
That's the one you put those loops in your coax for. It's like all those old bluesmen used to say: "Got my mode choke workin' but it just don't work on you."

W5RB
03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
That's the one you put those loops in your coax for. It's like all those old bluesmen used to say: "Got my mode choke workin' but it just don't work on you."
:chin::lol:

NQ6U
03-06-2011, 09:48 PM
:chin::lol:

I'm glad you got it. It was kind of a stretch.

N8YX
03-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Or a mode switch....
If you've ever taken notice, the ones whining the loudest about contests have single-mode-only rigs, at least where the transmitter side of the equation is concerned - and any incursion onto their "channel" by other users of the radio spectrum is immediately met with howls of derision.

It doesn't do one any good to tell these folks they should QSY, or select another operating mode. Most of them cannot; further, their equipment seems to be stuck in a time warp. Thus, you are expected to accommodate them.

W3WN
03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
If you've ever taken notice, the ones whining the loudest about contests have single-mode-only rigs, at least where the transmitter side of the equation is concerned - and any incursion onto their "channel" by other users of the radio spectrum is immediately met with howls of derision.

It doesn't do one any good to tell these folks they should QSY, or select another operating mode. Most of them cannot; further, their equipment seems to be stuck in a time warp. Thus, you are expected to accommodate them.You nailed it, brutha.

And they will be kvetching again in 3 weekends, when CQ WPX comes around. Same song, different day.

W5GA
03-11-2011, 03:07 PM

It doesn't do one any good to tell these folks they should QSY, or select another operating mode. Most of them cannot; further, their equipment seems to be stuck in a time warp. Thus, you are expected to accommodate them.
I think we should combine all international contests into a 3 or 4 weekend a year affair, but all modes and all bands at the same time. Then listen to them bitch!

n2ize
09-28-2011, 03:09 AM
No, you just have to be flexible.

Most of this complaining deals with the fact that you have what I call One Mode Morons. They only do (pick a mode) and when the contest is that mode, they cry. It would never dawn on them that it might be a perfect time to explore other modes.

Phone contest? Try RTTY, PSK31, CW (not going to happen here ;) ), etc. CW contest? Try phone, RTTY, SSTV, digital SSTV, etc.

Point is, there's more to ham radio that the only mode you seem to be able to deal with.

There is ONLY 1 mode. ;)

W3WN
09-28-2011, 08:14 AM
California QSO Party is this weekend.
Pennsylvania QSO Party is next weekend. As is the Arizona QSO Party IIRC, and the Oceana DX CW, IIRC. I think a EU RTTY or digital one as well.

Just wait until the end of the month for CQ WPX.

Why, these guys will be so worn out from their kvetching that they won't have the energy to get on the air... hmmm...

N8YX
09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
There is ONLY 1 mode. ;)

...and it's not AM...

ki4itv
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Which one is the "common mode" , anyway ?

It only happens when you park your AM rig on one 75m frequency for over 7 years. This results in your actually being married to all the regulars of the net in the eyes of the law, and the resulting breakups can be rather messy.
;)

KJ3N
09-28-2011, 11:15 AM
There is ONLY 1 mode. ;)
...and it's not AM...

Most assuredly not in this shack. Ancient Mary reminds me too much of CB. :yuck:

n2ize
09-28-2011, 11:46 AM
I've even worked a contesters or two on AM. Both times they didn't notice the carrier :

n2ize
09-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Most assuredly not in this shack. Ancient Mary reminds me too much of CB. :yuck:

I'm just the opposite. I wouldn't be caught dead using anything other than AM on HF. Only exception I make is up on vhf/uhf. But then again, anything above 8 mc is evil.

All kidding aside, I like the depth, warmth and fidelity of AM. It's kind of a throwback to days gone by. Besides, ham radio is for me an opportunity to go retro and play around with old school electronics. I like using equipment that operates at high voltages, gets very hot and glows and which I can troubleshoot by looking for where the smoke, sparks, ozone, and burn marks are coming from. :-D

n2ize
09-28-2011, 02:07 PM

This happens a times amongst some of the guys who lock themselves into the so called "Am Window" on 75 metres. They don't seem to realize that its perfectly legal to operate AM outside of the "AM Window". There is no hard fast rule etched in stone that states you must only operate between 3880 and 3890".

It doesn't do one any good to tell these folks they should QSY, or select another operating mode. Most of them cannot; further, their equipment seems to be stuck in a time warp.

Some of the guys are using very old transmitters that only run AM and CW. This was particularly true in the old days when boatanchors dominated that part of the spectrum. Things have changed now that a lot of the guys are operating newer rigs or are at least using more modern rigs as drivers.

Thus, you are expected to accommodate them.

What I would generally do is if the "AM window" on 75 was crowded due to a contest or other reason I'd QSY up or down the band until I found a quiet spot and I'd operate there as opposed to trying to operate over an existing contester. Even under the most crowded condition I could almost always find a quiet spot. And with some selective tuning and narrowing the filters I could usually notch out adjacent noise pretty well. Otherwise I could usually find a clear place on 40 or 160. Beyond that the only other sticking point was trying to convince some of the guys to leave the "window" and join me.

Why some guys lock themselves into one narrow spot on the band and don't use their license privileges is something I cannot comprehend. :(

K7SGJ
09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
This happens a times amongst some of the guys who lock themselves into the so called "Am Window" on 75 metres. They don't seem to realize that its perfectly legal to operate AM outside of the "AM Window". There is no hard fast rule etched in stone that states you must only operate between 3880 and 3890".

Some of the guys are using very old transmitters that only run AM and CW. This was particularly true in the old days when boatanchors dominated that part of the spectrum. Things have changed now that a lot of the guys are operating newer rigs or are at least using more modern rigs as drivers.

What I would generally do is if the "AM window" on 75 was crowded due to a contest or other reason I'd QSY up or down the band until I found a quiet spot and I'd operate there as opposed to trying to operate over an existing contester. Even under the most crowded condition I could almost always find a quiet spot. And with some selective tuning and narrowing the filters I could usually notch out adjacent noise pretty well. Otherwise I could usually find a clear place on 40 or 160. Beyond that the only other sticking point was trying to convince some of the guys to leave the "window" and join me.

Why some guys lock themselves into one narrow spot on the band and don't use their license privileges is something I cannot comprehend. :(

Dunno, might be the same reason some old folks never move. They get comfortable in the old neighborhood, and are afraid to venture out of their element.

Then again, they might just be fucked in the head.

n2ize
10-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Dunno, might be the same reason some old folks never move. They get comfortable in the old neighborhood, and are afraid to venture out of their element.

Then again, they might just be fucked in the head.

I can fully understand that someone can become attached to the physical neighborhood where they live and not want to leave. But I guess some people get attached to their "radio neighborhood", that one spot on the VFO dial that feels like home. Only problem is that it doesn;t cost them anything to leave and they can always turn the dial and come right back.

KC2UGV
10-02-2011, 10:54 AM
There is ONLY 1 mode. ;)

Carrier Wave... We've not figured out how to use subspace yet :lol:

kb2vxa
10-02-2011, 11:57 AM
"Captain, it's an old fashioned carrier wave modulated by a simple binary code... radio."
Spock

Speaking of CB, I'm gonna jump up and down like James Brown and hold my breath until I turn blue... GET OFF MY CHANNEL!!!! WWWAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa...................
(;->)

NQ6U
10-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Carrier Wave... We've not figured out how to use subspace yet :lol:

Even that's not true—it's possible to communicate using vector potential (VP) momentum waves as well as the common transverse electromagnetic (TEM) waves we've all been using. There was an article in the July/August issue of QEX about doing just that.

Some more info here (http://la3za.blogspot.com/2011/09/communication-with-vector-potential.html).