PDA

View Full Version : Most Common Roadside Trash

KG4CGC
03-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Getting out on the main roads to walk the dog, I notice the type of trash on the roadside and there is a common theme going on.
#1 type of roadside trash is alcohol containers of all types.
#2 type is paper and styro-based food trash usually with a recognizable logo.
#3 is something is have been noticing for the last year and today I found some about every 1000 yards. Can you guess before you click?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Dog%20Walk/f6260a11.jpg

KA5PIU
03-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Hello.

Several states have relaxed the rules on needles so they are starting to become common again.
That is the very common 100 unit insulin.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS275&q=100+unit+insulin+syringe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10464045482895951847&sa=X&ei=ZipwTfWbE4GKlwfF0vWcAQ&ved=0CD8Q8wIwBA#

KG4CGC
03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Hello.

Several states have relaxed the rules on needles so they are starting to become common again.
That is the very common 100 unit insulin.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS275&q=100+unit+insulin+syringe&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10464045482895951847&sa=X&ei=ZipwTfWbE4GKlwfF0vWcAQ&ved=0CD8Q8wIwBA#
Bullshit. People are afraid to dispose of them properly for fear of arrest so out the window it goes when no one is looking.

N9FE
03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
25 years makin road, After beer and soda cans, Shoes. Don't ask me why we found so many shoes, But we did.

NQ6U
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
25 years makin road, After beer and soda cans, Shoes. Don't ask me why we found so many shoes, But we did.

No cans or bottles here in CA. Since we pay a five-cent deposit on almost all soda and beer containers, most of them get brought back for the cash and the ones that are tossed get picked up quickly by homeless folks trying to make a dime for their bottle or fix.

I've noticed the shoe thing, though--that really is kind of odd. And it's always a single shoe, which makes me wonder what happened to it's mate.

W3MIV
03-03-2011, 07:54 PM
No cans or bottles here in CA. Since we pay a five-cent deposit on almost all soda and beer containers, most of them get brought back for the cash and the ones that are tossed get picked up quickly by homeless folks trying to make a dime for their bottle or fix.

Commie pinkos.

I've noticed the shoe thing, though--that really is kind of odd. And it's always a single shoe, which makes me wonder what happened to it's mate.

Lechter.

N7RJD
03-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Getting out on the main roads to walk the dog, I notice the type of trash on the roadside and there is a common theme going on.
#3 is something is have been noticing for the last year and today I found some about every 1000 yards. Can you guess before you click?

You're traveling the wrong roads. The trash I see most along the roads are holding "Will work for food" type signs.
Of course they rarely actually say anything about will work anymore since they found that there are people that
will take them up on that part.

WØTKX
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I see lots of empty water bottles as well as beer cans. Stay hydrated.

KG4CGC
03-03-2011, 08:58 PM
You're traveling the wrong roads. The trash I see most along the roads are holding "Will work for food" type signs.
Of course they rarely actually say anything about will work anymore since they found that there are people that
They try to get the prime spots where traffic is slow, concentrated and stops often. Sometimes they try the strong arm approach and find themselves in lock up or on a bus to places unknown. It gets bad sometimes, like they come in waves and the last episode last year, they were traveling in packs of 4 or 5 and robbing people getting in or out of their cars. That's when the cops started "bustin heads." Like one guy said, "we get a few and they tell others that's it's OK. Next thing you know they come here from everywhere cause they all have cellphones."
Then there are the regulars who try to stay out of sight, below the radar.

NQ6U
03-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Around here they work shifts holding the same sign. They coordinate using cell phones. I guess one could view that as a job like any other--and one that's possibly more lucrative than working at Mickey D's, too.

kb2vxa
03-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Well, there goes the neighborhood.

NQ6U
03-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Well, there goes the neighborhood.

Yeah. To be honest, though, when I first saw the title of this thread I thought Charles was referring to me.

ab1ga
03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Bullshit. People are afraid to dispose of them properly for fear of arrest so out the window it goes when no one is looking.

Hajji Rudi is right: it's a 100 unit insulin syringe; I didn't think the 100 unit syringes were as common as the 50 unit syringes, but that may have changed with insulin pens.
Some states did consider making syringes over-the-counter (MA was one of them) to try and stop the spread of AIDS by needle sharing, but I don't know how many states actually went that far.
Then again, it could be some diabetic too broke or too cheap to buy a sharps container and take a drive to a drop-off point when it's full. Twenty-first century cigarette butts.

KG4CGC
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Hajji's right? Quickly! I must fetch my head exploding gif!

w6tmi
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM

Well why throw away TWO perfectly good shoes? ROFL!

n2ize
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM

Looks like you got a lot of junkies in that area.

W4RLR
03-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Then again, it could be some diabetic too broke or too cheap to buy a sharps container and take a drive to a drop-off point when it's full. Twenty-first century cigarette butts.

73,I use gallon milk containers.

kds
03-04-2011, 03:05 AM
What kind of a road were you traveling on? Surprised that trucker bombs aren't on your common roadside trash list.

kds
03-04-2011, 03:10 AM
The trash I see most along the roads are holding "Will work for food" type signs.

Every few years a local TV station will do a story about the "homeless" folks on the corners... one year, they discovered that the beggars were being picked up and dropped off every day and at specific time intervals by a late-model Lexus. A lot of people, instead of giving the beggars money, will go to a fast-food restaurant and pick up some food and drop it off to the beggars. More often than not, they would take the food but then throw it into the ditch. Last year, a local news anchor posed as a homeless person on the street corner and discovered that there was the potential to make $20-30 an hour (based on what passersby offered, since the anchor didn't take the money) just by standing on the street corner.

W3WN
03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
There is only one thing I can say.

You need to find a better neighborhood to walk the dog in.

W1GUH
03-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Hajji Rudi is right: it's a 100 unit insulin syringe; I didn't think the 100 unit syringes were as common as the 50 unit syringes, but that may have changed with insulin pens.
Some states did consider making syringes over-the-counter (MA was one of them) to try and stop the spread of AIDS by needle sharing, but I don't know how many states actually went that far.

[sarcasm] And what a blessed improvement! We all know that cigarette butts are some of the most toxic articles on this planet...much more dangerous than those sharp instruments that are capable of killing anyone (even empty, with a "bubble"). And even if ther's some dope left in 'em that's far safer and more acceptable that anything in a cigarette butt. [\sarcasm]

W5RB
03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Here , last I checked , anybody can buy syringes , but you now have to have a prescription for Sudafed that can be bought over the counter in civilized states .

W5GA
03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Could also be something related to animal care. I've had a dog that required insulin shots. Lots of animal vaccines available w/o a vet's prescription.

ab1ga
03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
[sarcasm] And what a blessed improvement! We all know that cigarette butts are some of the most toxic articles on this planet...much more dangerous than those sharp instruments that are capable of killing anyone (even empty, with a "bubble"). And even if ther's some dope left in 'em that's far safer and more acceptable that anything in a cigarette butt. [\sarcasm]

Why the sarcasm? I made no comparison about which, if either, was acceptable.

ab1ga
03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Could also be something related to animal care. I've had a dog that required insulin shots. Lots of animal vaccines available w/o a vet's prescription.

True, but do you use a 100 unit syringe? That must have been a HUGE dog!

It's not really surprising that syringes are the new roadside garbage. Within the past 20 years or so there's been a frightening rise in diabetes in America, especially among children and young adults. I can just imagine a teenager taking his insulin with his burger and fries and then pitching all of it out the window. On the island of Nauru 50% of the population is diabetic, and one of the major components of roadside trash is insulin vials.

KG4CGC
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I'll let everyone know when I start finding insulin vials.

ab1ga
03-04-2011, 05:30 PM

If you find vials, just move, because it means you can probably get diabetes from breathing the air there!

W1GUH
03-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Don't forget the spoons and tourniquets.

KG4CGC
03-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Spoons! Saw two but they looked like they just fell off the truck.
Cold and drizzly today. Expecting heavy rain tomorrow.

n2ize
03-04-2011, 06:47 PM

You'll never find a syringe with dope left in it. Actually, all joking aside, pure dope is safer than cigarettes. Provided you don't overdose or get an infection from dirty needles, dope in and of itself won't do a fraction of the damage that cigarettes will. The 2 most damaging drugs, tobacco and alcohol, are the legal ones. Quite ironic.

n2ize
03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
True, but do you use a 100 unit syringe? That must have been a HUGE dog!

It's not really surprising that syringes are the new roadside garbage. Within the past 20 years or so there's been a frightening rise in diabetes in America, especially among children and young adults. I can just imagine a teenager taking his insulin with his burger and fries and then pitching all of it out the window. On the island of Nauru 50% of the population is diabetic, and one of the major components of roadside trash is insulin vials.

Those insulin syringes make awesome oilers for radio controlled planes, helicopters, model trains, etc. I fill them up with a light hobby grade oil and I can inject just the right amount of oil into gears, bearings, swash plates, linkages, bushings, etc. Good stuff.

KG4CGC
03-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Those insulin syringes make awesome oilers for radio controlled planes, helicopters, model trains, etc. I fill them up with a light hobby grade oil and I can inject just the right amount of oil into gears, bearings, swash plates, linkages, bushings, etc. Good stuff.
Ever used a Worm Blower (http://www.topglock.com/item/124573_Lindy_Fishing_Lindy_AC371_Worm_Blower.aspx) ?

WV6Z
03-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Ever used a Worm Blower (http://www.topglock.com/item/124573_Lindy_Fishing_Lindy_AC371_Worm_Blower.aspx) ?

Well that's not what I had envisioned.

KG4CGC
03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
From today's collection. A really big one.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Dog%20Walk/8f8c62b9.jpg