PDA

View Full Version : HAD SOME BLIND THOUGHTS WHILE I WAS GONE

K7SGJ
03-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Hello all,
I've been away a couple of months having some eye surgery that didn't quite go as planned. But It's getting better, and I am now allowed to read, a little, if I can hold focus. I can hardly wait to get back on the air and in the wood shop again. The last two months have been a real bummer. The only thing I could do was watch the TV from a distance, for a short amount of time. That wouldn't be so bad if programming was better. Even I can only take so much Sponge Bob. So, I went for door number two. Listening to old tyme radio on my network radio. What a deal, putting in a plethora of eye drops, and listing to Johnny Dollar, Fibber Magee and Molly, Escape, Mystery Theater, Gunsmoke, and all the rest. Once again using the theater of the mind. It was fabulous, and time past reasonably well. But I came away with a question.
The old comedy shows still make me laugh, some hysterically. Third Base. I'm on the floor. But when it comes to the commercials, I have to stop and say WTF. Were we (society) that simplistic, simpleminded, and unsophisticated? I understand many of the commercials were aimed at kids back then, I heard them all the time. After all, I didn't give a damn about Ralston's PEP, I wanted what was inside. And can you imagine that if you had saved all that shit in the original package what you would be worth? Probably make the Donald look like a pauper. And oh how everyone bought into the cigarette propaganda. Drs stating Chesterfield were best and didn't harm your throat or lungs. Jeeez even Fred and Wilma smoked. Groucho and George always had a stogie burning. I think they outlived all of Vaudeville. I suppose life was simpler then, by today's standards, and it is allot easier to peddle a pack of smokes that it is a Gameboy 360. Remember the commercial for the cereal where the woman had on a ball and chain? Eat the product and you can lose the extra weight. That sure as hell wouldn't fly these days. Where's the beef. Lux toilet soap, hawked by all the Hollywood actresses on the Lux Theater. People could act but they couldn't read a script without it sounding like a monotone page out of Dick and Jane. "See Spot. See Dick. See Jane. See Spot Dick Jane". That was always my favorite.
I also started to talk to God again. We used to have some very challenging conversations. I used to tape them, but as you probably guessed, I was the only one who could hear her voice on the tape. So, I had just changed bandages and put some drops in my eyes. I learned that is called instilling. After doing so, I have to lay still, in the dark, with eyes closed for 30 minutes or so, and use this time to chat with the big Kahuna. This was during the time the WBC was pulling their brand of shit again. So I says to God:
Me- Hey God, what's up with these morons.
God-What do you mean?
Me-Why do you let the good people die, and then scumbags like this carry on?
God-It's called free will. They are misguided and just need an asswhoopin. I don't let anybody die, they just do. That is a fact of life that really troubles the believers. You fight and die for causes you believe are just, and do it in the name of Patriotism, Glory, Oil, or whatever. I'm always amused when the oxymoron fight for peace is used. A bigger crock of shit there never was. They used to fight in the name of religion, too, and it looks like that might be going full circle. BOHICA You know, it gets real old hearing you humans prattling on about what I want, what I like, what I hate, and everything else. None of you have a clue about me and my motives.
Me-Is it right for some whacko to picket a funeral with signs that say God hates Faggots?
God-Certainly not.
Me- then why let them do it?
God-Remember the free will thing we just talked about? You have the means to control situations like that and motivate a different behavior. I don't get involved.
Me- Sure, the courts were tried, but the Judges went the other way. Why did you let those twits come into office?
God-Me? I don't even vote. Besides, they are appointed by your president. Why is it that I always get the bad press when things down there go to shit, or when people have to talk to me immediately, usually from a foxhole, telling me if I get them out of that bad situation they will change their ways. You know what? Fuck you! That's what. But let something good happen and all of you become the mutual admiration society. Slaps on the back, high fives, fist bumps, and all that; and here I am froggin my dong, so to speak.
Me-So what do we do. Is there hope?
God-Nah. Not much. You remember the old saying that in a hundred years no one will give a shit? Well, the WBC will be gone. There will be a black man in the white house, oops disregard, there will be a woman in the white house, the Anglo population will be a minority, every country down there will be broke, there will be no health care for anybody, and the wars and fighting and dying, well, I've been watching that go on since year one. Modern man just does it more efficiently. They don't have to do the heavy sword swinging thingy. Just pull a trigger, or push a button. How cool is that? You are an interesting study. I know I'm supposed to know how this turns out, but just when I think I have it figured, some asswipe throws a wrench in the works. I gotta go. Isn't it time for your eye drops?
Me-Yes ma'am! It is. By the way, I've seen pictures, drawings, statues renderings, etc, what DO you really look like?
God-I look a lot like Gretchen.
Got to go.
eddie

N2CHX
03-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Welcome back. Sorry to hear things didn't go so well. I wish you well on your road to recovery. At least you can see well enough now to post here.

As for the commercials on old radio shows, I hear you. We do OTR every night on our little internet/part 15 station (we have for the last 10+ years!). Some of the nuttiest are Shlitz beer commercials on Halls Of Ivy. My kids can probably recite every variation of J-E-L-L-O reads from My Favorite Husband. It was all kinda nutty.

n2ize
03-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Sorry to hear the surgery didn't go as planned. Hope you feel better. Get well soon.

The problem today is that the politically correct and the hippies took over. In those days they could advertise cigarettes and it was a personal choice to smoke or not to smoke. Now, the hippies do our thinking for us. God forbid I should make the choice to smoke or not to smoke on my own... without some politically correct hipster making the choice for us. Those were days when a man could take his lady to a restaurant, they could enjoy a nice dinner, and have a smoke afterward. These days, they can't light up a smoke without some granola-eating tree hugger freak in a hemp shirt with a marijuana logo and wire rimmed glasses coming over and demanding they extinguish the cigs and giving them a lecture on the dangers of smoke.

It was a better world back then. It was more sensible, people had more respect, and the rights of others were respected. Sadly the world has changed for the worst thanks to the "Me / Anything Goes Generation". This country is growing more and more codified and wimpified by the day,.

PA5COR
03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Bummer with the surgery.... get well soon please..
Being 58 going 59 i feel where you were going, i must become an O.M. now....

Take care of your health please.

Cor

W3WN
03-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Glad to hear you're recovering. Hang in there... it will get better.

As far as the commercials go... well, I have to agree with John that the Politically Correct has had a lot to do with it. That and legal action.

It seems that a little exageration or hyperbole is taken today as gospel truth, as a guarantee... so if you DON'T lose weight eating that breakfast cereal (and never mind the 2 triple whoppers & large fries & an extra large shake you have for lunch every day), you might have a law suit. Well, you might see a dime, but your lawyer will make out like a bandit...

KG4CGC
03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Wow, may your recovery come back with 20/15 written down in your medical record.

kc7jty
03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm currently required to remain doped up on oxys so I can do my shoulder therapy 3x daily after surgery 2.5 weeks ago.
Not being well sucks. I hope the best for you in spite of things not going as well as they could have.

W4RLR
03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Sorry to hear the surgery didn't go as planned. Hope you feel better. Get well soon.

The problem today is that the politically correct and the hippies took over. In those days they could advertise cigarettes and it was a personal choice to smoke or not to smoke. Now, the hippies do our thinking for us. God forbid I should make the choice to smoke or not to smoke on my own... without some politically correct hipster making the choice for us. Those were days when a man could take his lady to a restaurant, they could enjoy a nice dinner, and have a smoke afterward. These days, they can't light up a smoke without some granola-eating tree hugger freak in a hemp shirt with a marijuana logo and wire rimmed glasses coming over and demanding they extinguish the cigs and giving them a lecture on the dangers of smoke.

It was a better world back then. It was more sensible, people had more respect, and the rights of others were respected. Sadly the world has changed for the worst thanks to the "Me / Anything Goes Generation". This country is growing more and more codified and wimpified by the day.

I for one do not put up with the politically correct crowd. I may be considered a troglodyte in that regard, but if people don't like what I do and what I say, screw 'em.

Ditto on the good wishes for a complete recovery on the eye surgery.

w2amr
03-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Glad to hear you are on the mend Ed, hang in there.

WV6Z
03-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Great to hear you are on the mend Eddie! I am really thinking about trying some life changing mods to myself now in hope I can influence my chances at getting in to heaven. If God looks like Gretchen, well, that's reason enough to me..........

NQ6U
03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
If God looks like Gretchen, well, that's reason enough to me..........

I've seen her. She makes Gretchen look like a hag.