PDA

View Full Version : This place advertises authentic Chinese food.

kc7jty
02-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Notice H on the lunch specials
http://www.goldendragonpostfalls.com/menu.pdf

NQ6U
02-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Lots of Chinese restaurants do that so if the majority of a group of people wants Chinese food but one round-eye doesn't care for it, there's a alternative for him/her. That way, the group doesn't go somewhere else to eat.

W3MIV
02-26-2011, 07:12 PM
How do you make chow mein out of a house?

KA5PIU
02-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Hello.

We had the Maverick cafe in San Antonio, Chinese and Mexican food.
I would order steamed white rice with beef enchaladas and hamas.
To drink I would do the kosher coke.
Finally they decided to ask me why,
I explained my story and it all made sense.
Rudy's special, Chinese Tex-Mex, safe for Arabs and Jews!
There were actually 3 plates under that heading and all sold very well.
http://dine.com/restaurants/rid/51483/index.html?who=UmFuZG9tSVaoSYpTR9Bp9UymfmfznI_KTH1 ePx9eTaocevVyoCLi0/QjiHyCyijfUdjFhYgcW9ymetNG7L75/cKkjQovl2_jbge1N16F_3MwdTBWhuGtWSWYDALmjX78bqNYduN Xf6Azlwes84ng6wjlr2xQsnEzrND7qpwEHNzdpfe4i9SrsA--

kc7jty
02-27-2011, 03:38 AM
chow mein, especially with celery, isn't Chinese anyway. If the locals here were ever to get real Chinese food they would piss their pants. They wouldn't know what to make of it.
and for Rudy, I got sicker than a puking dog eating Chinese food in Tuxtla Gutierrez in Chiapas on one of my visits there.

n6hcm
02-27-2011, 07:21 AM
here in sf there's a school which teaches recent immigrants how to prepare "chinese food" for the local gringos. imho, it's kinda pointless--those who want something authentic look for the asian faces in the seats ... and the bilingual menu which has more items in chinese than in english.

W3MIV
02-27-2011, 08:21 AM
...those who want something authentic look for the asian faces in the seats ... and the bilingual menu which has more items in chinese than in english.

That's generally true here, too. This area has experienced a tremendous influx of Asians, principally Koreans, but also a lot of Chinese. It has made a substantive difference in the quality of Chinese restaurants, especially. One glance at the clientele seated within is an excellent indicator of what you will find on the menu, as well as the quality of the offerings.

I am particularly fond of dim sum, and a small group of about ten of us get together on Sundays about every two or three months for dim sum at some local Chinese restaurant. Just a few years ago, it was almost impossible to enjoy dim sum of any sort, not to even think about really good dim sum, at any distance from the DC suburbs. Now we have several restaurants offering traditional dim sum on Sundays here, and the most recent addition brought a dim sum chef in from Hong Kong to supervise the kitchen. At most of these places, reservations have become a must, and it is very crowded; the servers often have trouble trying to move the carts among the large, round tables with the traditional "lazy-susan" centers.

Fortunately, our group has a couple of Chinese (one of whom speaks a Mandarin dialect well) who are able to "guide" us through the complexities of the many dim sum offerings. Alas, my xyl has a shell-fish allergy, and she has to be careful to avoid the two most popular ingredients: shrimp and crab. A dim sum brunch usually averages around $18-$20 per person for our group, which is why we only do it every couple months.

Wikipedia has a nice shot of typical dim sum offerings:

NQ6U
02-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Heavy Asian influence here on the Islets of Langerhans, mostly southeast Asian, so there are plenty of outstanding Thai and Vietnamese restaurants. If you've never tried Thai food, you're missing out. It makes most Chinese food seem heavy, bland and boring by comparison.

KG4CGC
02-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I refer to the TV shows where the bald fat guy eats things off the street market in China. A variety of bugs on sticks, household pets, etc etc.
Now that's authentic.

W3MIV
02-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I suspect I may have eaten a household pet once or twice. There used to be some very "ethnic" Chinese "eateries" (I would not characterize them as restaurants in our sense of that term) in Baltimore where you needed a chaperone who spoke the lingo. Most of what I ate on those visits was very flavorful and I enjoyed everything except the reminder from my "host" not to ask too many questions.

I draw the line at bugs on sticks and things like balut, however. If it LOOKS edible and gives even the appearance of being tasty, I will likely try it. We have large Asian markets here now, and one or two of them keep suffering health department raids and shut-downs for a variety of offenses ranging from rat infestations to the general hygienic conditions of the food storage areas. It never seems to deter their business. They are closed for a few days and when they reopen the throng inside is like something out of Blade Runner. The seafood market is particularly entertaining. Beauty is surely in the eye of the beholder. So, too, is edibility.

I used to become irritated because of the rude treatment I would always receive when trying to check out. I suspected that it was because I am occidental. After a couple of visits, I realized that everyone is treated very rudely, ethnicity is no guarantee of courtesy. They move you through the check outs like Tokyo subway pushers as the woman at the register continually shouts at you, not really giving a damn whether or not you can understand her irate pidgin.

ab1ga
02-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Fortunately, our group has a couple of Chinese (one of whom speaks a Mandarin dialect well) who are able to "guide" us through the complexities of the many dim sum offerings.

I do not loathe dim sum, but I do fear it.

When I was partially earning my way through college by throwing people out of a bar, the manager was a Chinese fellow who offered to buy us dinner after closing. He led us to what can only be called a Chinese diner, ordered food for us directly from the host (no menu needed), and bought us one of the best dinners I ever had.

But I was a fool. Years later, and married to a woman who had had Chinese roomates (PRC, Hong Kong, and Taiwan) while attending graduate school, I was presented with a request from my beloved to have dim sum. A short subway ride (no place is far from anyplace else in metro Boston) took us to Chinatown, an Asian market (soup bowls with blue fish motif), and a restaurant promising the elusive dim sum. She told me it was like a Chinese brunch buffet, and I was sold. I ordered what looked tasty, including something called "chicken feet".

Thinking chicken feet was linguistically similar to chicken fingers, I expected something battered and deep fried, designed to carry a suitably non-Chinese, sweet sauce. My lifemate warned me obliquely, asking me if I was sure I wanted chicken feet, but failed to apply the vigor of expression necessary to sway the thinking of a male in his early thirties.

What I got was -- chicken feet. Oh boy. Looked at it, thought about it, hid the basket among other baskets. Endured a stare of disapproval from the staff, and impish grins from the other customers. I maintained a modicum of self-control, i.e. I did not run, screaming and waving my arms, into traffic.

No more dim sum for me, I just don't know what to expect from those little bamboo baskets.

W3MIV
02-27-2011, 08:17 PM
No more dim sum for me, I just don't know what to expect from those little bamboo baskets.

I feel your pain. I have become a sort of old hand at dim sum, but I am still smart enough to check with my Chinese friends. Strange things do hide temptingly under the glistening gossamer of a steamed dumpling's skin, and the more authentic the cuisine the more one is apt to be surprised. I am often reminded of that old saw about the German butcher using everything but the oink. The Chinese, it would seem, are not so sparing.

KG4CGC
02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Russia shares a penchant for some of the stranger Chinese delicacies.
I hear it's a fertility thing. I also "hear" that there is a secret menu at some restaurants where you must order taboo items 6 months in advance. Yep, Tiger and tiger penis.
Most Westerners prefer to consume their penis ground up and mixed with other parts like the scrote and rectum with added saltpeter and sprinkles of fur and fly parts.

You know what else? I just had to scroll up because I asked myself why I'm writing all this shit.

BTW, the picture above looks like bacon.

W3MIV
02-28-2011, 06:54 AM
BTW, the picture above looks like bacon.

Actually, the pic struck me as either smoked smelts or other small, smoked fish in oil.

Based on the old adage that "you are what you eat," I think I know a few folks who do a steady diet of these things. ;)

W1GUH
02-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Almost similar to the chicken feet story would be a dish called "Seafood Surprise." I orded it down in China town without a second thought. Then it came. Nothing looked all that evil, except for the conch which, I knew was a delicacy. But the other filets on the plate -- I didn't ask what kind of fish it was. Still wonder what I ate that night. Wonder if any of it was carp.

There is a dish I've heard of that's served in China. What you get is a bowl of live shrimp and a bowl of vodka. What you do is put a shrimp in the vodka til it dies, then eat it. That sounds delicious. Sweet shrimp is my favorite sushi/sashimi (very, very sweet and delicious), and having it THAT fresh has got to be heaven!

W5GA
02-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Thinking chicken feet was linguistically similar to chicken fingers, I expected something battered and deep fried, designed to carry a suitably non-Chinese, sweet sauce. My lifemate warned me obliquely, asking me if I was sure I wanted chicken feet, but failed to apply the vigor of expression necessary to sway the thinking of a male in his early thirties.

What I got was -- chicken feet. Oh boy. Looked at it, thought about it, hid the basket among other baskets. Endured a stare of disapproval from the staff, and impish grins from the other customers. I maintained a modicum of self-control, i.e. I did not run, screaming and waving my arms, into traffic.

While stationed in the Philipines where you can get chicken feet most anyplace from someone roasting them on the street corner, I was known to gnaw on BBQ'd chicken feet from time to time. Not very filling, but tasty.

kb2vxa
02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I didn't see a single item on the menu that qualifies as authentic Chinese food. They started out as delicacies reserved for royalty and high ranking military officers and migrated here as what amounts to American food. Once upon a time I had a Taiwanese girlfriend I spent weekends with in Flushing, NY and what she served was plain and simple and to be honest took a bit of getting used to. When we ate at a local Chinese place we ate a little better but still it was rather unusual. When our friends from NJ came around we went over to what must be the most fabulous restaurant in Chinatown and ate like royalty, still what they ordered from those paper strips written in Chinese hanging on the wall was... unusual to say the very least. Just as well I can't read nor speak the language and nobody told me what I was eating, whatever it was qualifies as delicious.

Chicken feet? Dayum, I guess you don't know much about Soul Food either. (;->)

"I am often reminded of that old saw about the German butcher using everything but the oink."
It's called scrapple and I LOVE it!

Ah, Dim Sum with hoy sin sauce, can't get enough of it! I'll just leave the Sum Dum Gai to someone else though.

W3MIV
02-28-2011, 06:54 PM
I'll just leave the Sum Dum Gai to someone else though.

Around here, we're used to him.

W5GA
02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
I'll just leave the Sum Dum Gai to someone else though.
Is that like the new soup? Cream of Sum Yung Gai I believe it's called.

ab1ga
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Chicken feet? Dayum, I guess you don't know much about Soul Food either. (;->)

Of course I know about Soul Food! Schweinsbraten, Rotkraut oder Sauerkraut, Spaetzle, Knoedelsuppe, und Schwarzwaelder Kirschtorte. The stuff's awesome, but deadly.

W3MIV
02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Ach, Ja! Seelefutter. Futter für die untertänigster der Götter

ab1ga
02-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Ach, Ja! Seelefutter. Futter für die untertänigster der Götter

It's why the Gods slept on sofas. Hell, it's why the sofa was invented.

W7XF
02-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Is that like the new soup? Cream of Sum Yung Gai I believe it's called.

YUM!!!!! xD