PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use any of the free Ada compilers for Window?

W1GUH
02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
It'd be fun to play with at home, kinda like "vintage programming."

WØTKX
02-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Jeebus, Ada? Long ago, I supported some government workers using Ada on Wang VS computers. Weird stuff.

NQ6U
02-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Long ago, I supported some government workers using Ada on Wang VS computers.

Which gives a whole new meaning to the expression "playing with your Wang."

N1LAF
02-25-2011, 07:57 PM
ada? The wonder language that went where?

Is VxWorks next?

KA5PIU
02-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Hello.

Ada is unusual in that there are no private type, everything must be contained with the "capsule".
This was done for security reasons but makes doing a run time module interesting.
Afaik, all traffic controllers run under Ada.
http://www.safetran-traffic.com/
The early units ran under a Z80 CPU, the latest run 68000 or Intel chips, everything well within ratings.
This is done due to the nature of Ada, it is very robust, nothing like any Microsoft product. ;)
But, to answer the question, sort of, I run Ada under Linux.

n2ize
02-26-2011, 12:34 PM
It'd be fun to play with at home, kinda like "vintage programming."

Just download and try them.

WØTKX
02-26-2011, 04:04 PM
I'd rather Lisp... :mrgreen:

NQ6U
02-26-2011, 04:28 PM
I'd rather Lithp... :mrgreen:

Fixed that for you.

ab1ga
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Scheme instead!

n2ize
02-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Actually for a lot of the stuff I do I prefer lisp. It lends itself far better to modeling certain types of problems than C, C++, Java, PhP, Ruby, etc. A lot of people consider Lisp to be outdated and old fashioned and gone the way of FORTRAN, COBOL, etc. And for many of the things people do these days (web apps) it probably is. But there are many things I can do faster, more direct and better in Lisp than almost anything else.

W3WN
03-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Actually for a lot of the stuff I do I prefer lisp. It lends itself far better to modeling certain types of problems than C, C++, Java, PhP, Ruby, etc. A lot of people consider Lisp to be outdated and old fashioned and gone the way of FORTRAN, COBOL, etc. And for many of the things people do these days (web apps) it probably is. But there are many things I can do faster, more direct and better in Lisp than almost anything else.Hey, whatever works... right tool for the right job, even if it's an older one.

Hell, I'm making my living as a dbase programmer and analyst. Who'd a thunk'it?