PDA

View Full Version : All's Fair?

W3WN
02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Is it better to "lose", that is come in 2nd or 3rd or 4th place, having done your very level best... or is it better to "win" (come in first) regardless of what you did to get there?

I would think that the answer to that is a no-brainer. Right now, I'm not so sure.

The context of this... well, there's a discussion ongoing on the DX CHAT reflector that I adminsister for the NJDXA regarding certain operating practices. One specifically mentioned was a few stations that, during last weekend's ARRL DX CW contest, would send an automated, continual CQ... and never answer anyone. In fact, even if you zero beat them, and matched their keyer speed, you'd get maybe one or two characters of your call out before the CQ would start again. [Yes, maybe they didn't hear you, but that's not the issue]

I have since received a PM from a list member who insists that "all's fair in love-n-war" and then berates me for believing in proper operating technique. He also specifically tells me "if u want to win...so...do what u can".

I know it's a prevalent attitude, especially amongst the so-called contest elite. And maybe I'm old fashioned. Personally, I have to look at myself in the mirror and sleep at night; winning by cheating, or by skirting the rules, or by deliberately doing something to harm another's chances... no.

But that's me.

What would YOU do?

And if you're not a contester, as many of you aren't... then as a DX'er, or county hunter, or just in general operating practices.

Does anything go?

KJ3N
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
First the contest reflector, now a dx reflector. I'm noticing a pattern here.....

N8YX
02-24-2011, 02:57 PM
I would DQ the station from the specific contest and if the behavior continued, bar him or her from subsequent participation in any others.

W3WN
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
First the contest reflector, now a dx reflector. I'm noticing a pattern here.....

What, you think I spend all my radio time online?

N2CHX
02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I mean, what fun is contesting if you have a computer doing all the work for you? I don't contest, just thinking out loud.

W3WN
02-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I mean, what fun is contesting if you have a computer doing all the work for you? I don't contest, just thinking out loud.The only apparant purpose for an automated transmission is to prevent someone else from using the frequency. Reserving it for yourself, in short. I don't think that's much fun either.

KJ3N
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
What, you think I spend all my radio time online?

No, but I find it interesting that you seem to be at odds with 2 different reflector groups. ;)

That's the pattern I'm referring to..... :whistle:

N8YX
02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
No, but I find it interesting that you seem to be at odds with 2 different reflector groups. ;)

That's the pattern I'm referring to..... :whistle:
They may share the same membership, though. That being the case, the animosity would pretty much be a given.

KJ3N
02-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? I mean, what fun is contesting if you have a computer doing all the work for you? I don't contest, just thinking out loud.

A certain level of automation is required, if you want to win. Every second wasted not making contacts, means your QSO rate falls.

KJ3N
02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
As to the question:

Does anything go?

Not for me. I follow the rules.

I'm also one of those crazy assholes who, when the DX says, "The station ending in Papa Kilo?", doesn't keep calling when there's no "PK" in my call. I also don't call when the DX is asking for W6 & W7. Nor do I call when the DX calls for the K8. In fact, unless the DX asks for something that resembles my call, I STFU, unlike so many others. :roll:

As to winning a contest, I simply don't care. I don't submit a log (with 1 exception), so I'm not going to win. Even if I were to submit a log for any contest I'm playing in, I have no illusions about winning.

It's a fscking radio "contest" in a minuscule fscking hobby! Who gives a fsck? :roll: :lame:

W3WN
02-24-2011, 09:38 PM

That's the pattern I'm referring to..... :whistle:Well, I try to stick up for my principles. And if I'm wrong, I admit it.

I don't think I'm at odds, overall, with the DX groups. Now the CQ Contest group, well, there you have a point. I know I'm definitely in the minority. But that reflector is administered by some of the same people who sit on the contest committees and make (and enforce) the rules. Suffice to say, there is definitely a bias there. But that's another story for another day.

KB3LIX
02-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I participate in most major contests, and always submit a log no matter
how many or few Q's. I don't buy the anything goes thinking.
I do what I can to make my score. IF I do well, good, If I do poorly
thats OK too.

Usually, I am trying to beat my score in the same contest from last year.
A guy like me, with my limited facilities, is NEVER gonna "kick butt"
But I can give it an honest try.

W3WN
02-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I participate in most major contests, and always submit a log no matter
how many or few Q's. I don't buy the anything goes thinking.
I do what I can to make my score. IF I do well, good, If I do poorly
thats OK too.

Usually, I am trying to beat my score in the same contest from last year.
A guy like me, with my limited facilities, is NEVER gonna "kick butt"
But I can give it an honest try.
Bill, you going to be at WASHFest Sunday morning? Sure be nice to see you!

I'll even get you a cup of coffee. On the house, so to speak.

W4RLR
02-27-2011, 04:02 AM
I know that whatever contest I participate in, I am not going to win an award. But I play anyway, as a little pistol I have worked stations half a world away. I'm not consumed by the win at all costs attitude that some contest participants seem to have. Big fat hairy deal if you win, what do you get, your name in the contest journal and a lousy certificate? IMHO those who are so infatuated by being the one with the most points no matter how they get them are the losers, not the winners.

KB3LIX
02-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Not going to make it.
But, I hope yinz do VERY well and have a great crowd.

W3WN
02-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Not going to make it.
But, I hope yinz do VERY well and have a great crowd.We missed you.

We had a packed house today. The nice weather definitely helped.

Every table was not just sold, but filled -- everyone showed up! One guy sold out right after we opened, left, and we put someone on the waiting list there. We even co-opted two of the "lunch area" tables to accomodate some late arrivals. We had thought yesterday about squeezing the "extra" row of tables in; we might have sold all of those too, OTOH, as packed as the aisles were, maybe it's just as well. There is such a thing as over-doing it, especially in that building.

We had close to 400 paid admissions... I haven't gotten the final numbers from the treasurer yet. That's the highest we've had for that hall in over a decade.

Now, when you figure that the table sales cover the rental for the hall (and that's not counting the extra $5 for the tables with electricity)... and the prize ticket sales covered the main prize costs and then some... to say nothing of what we made on the "black box" and "red box" limited-ticket-sale prizes, and the two wine baskets raffled off (donated by a club member)... we made back all of our expenses BEFORE figuring in the gate.

So... let me put it this way: The club did good.

And personally, I broke even (made a few bucks, spent a few bucks) and got my cards for 80 meter DXCC checked.

It was a good start for the year!

n2ize
02-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I have absolutely no interest in contests. Totallly boring from my perspective.

KJ3N
02-27-2011, 09:46 PM
I have absolutely no interest in contests. Totallly boring from my perspective.

If you're working on 5BDXCC, there's nothing better. ;)

N8YX
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
We missed you.

I would have enjoyed the fest.

Had a headache start late Friday afternoon and did not abate until Monday morning. I didn't get a thing done on Sunday with the exception of trying to shake it.

W3WN
03-01-2011, 08:46 AM
I would have enjoyed the fest.

Had a headache start late Friday afternoon and did not abate until Monday morning. I didn't get a thing done on Sunday with the exception of trying to shake it.We missed you guys too. We'll get you next year.

N7YA
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
I love contesting! I never send logs because im always hunting DX in them...but i am always courteous and respectful of the rules. I never call when im not being called, i always have fun.

Breaking the rules simply for the sake of winning has always seemed like an idiotic and empty gesture that nobody on earth gives a shit about. The only one im really ever competing against is myself anyway.

N8YX
03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
We missed you guys too. We'll get you next year.
There's always Breezeshooters, and we will be in attendance for that one.

W3WN
03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
There's always Breezeshooters, and we will be in attendance for that one.We'll have burgers at the cookout for you guys as well.

N8YX
03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
We'll have burgers at the cookout for you guys as well.
I'll see if I can "coerce" 'DSG into using the kitchen and concocting something to bring out for the event. She makes a mean venison steak, but alas we've none in the freezer.

W3WN
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I'll see if I can "coerce" 'DSG into using the kitchen and concocting something to bring out for the event. She makes a mean venison steak, but alas we've none in the freezer.Well, no need to go that far... it's a "pot luck" event, so whatever you bring, you bring. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, a side dish or a dessert is usually more than enough.

KB3LIX
03-02-2011, 08:52 PM
We missed you.

Every table was not just sold, but filled -- everyone showed up! One guy sold out right after we opened, left, and we put someone on the waiting list there. We even co-opted two of the "lunch area" tables to accomodate some late arrivals. We had thought yesterday about squeezing the "extra" row of tables in; we might have sold all of those too, OTOH, as packed as the aisles were, maybe it's just as well. There is such a thing as over-doing it, especially in that building.

We had close to 400 paid admissions... I haven't gotten the final numbers from the treasurer yet. That's the highest we've had for that hall in over a decade.

Now, when you figure that the table sales cover the rental for the hall (and that's not counting the extra $5 for the tables with electricity)... and the prize ticket sales covered the main prize costs and then some... to say nothing of what we made on the "black box" and "red box" limited-ticket-sale prizes, and the two wine baskets raffled off (donated by a club member)... we made back all of our expenses BEFORE figuring in the gate.

So... let me put it this way: The club did good.

And personally, I broke even (made a few bucks, spent a few bucks) and got my cards for 80 meter DXCC checked.

It was a good start for the year!

Sounds like y'all did very well.
Good to hear !