PDA

View Full Version : Stanford Researchers Develop Wireless Technology

X-Rated
02-24-2011, 11:54 AM
http://www.wirelessdesignonline.com/article.mvc/Stanford-Researchers-Develop-Wireless-0001?user=2377874&source=nl:30111

"Wireless communication is a one-way street. Over."

Radio traffic can flow in only one direction at a time on a specific frequency, hence the frequent use of "over" by pilots and air traffic controllers, walkie-talkie users and emergency personnel as they take turns speaking.

But now, Stanford researchers have developed the first wireless radios that can send and receive signals at the same time.

This immediately makes them twice as fast as existing technology, and with further tweaking will likely lead to even faster and more efficient networks in the future.

I find this stuff interesting. I would like to work full duplex on the same frequency into ham radio as well.

NQ6U
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Fascinating. I can definitely see this technology being used by hams.

X-Rated
02-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Fascinating. I can definitely see this technology being used by hams.

It is definitely something to look into. Similar to the way the carrier is deleted with an opposite sideband, there has to be some tedious transmitter canceling to get this to work. Seems like time multiplexing would be easier, but I am always interested in new ideas and ways of making them work and improving them. This will be interesting to watch.

KC2UGV
02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Convert to a data stream, and use time-domain multiplexing. The only difference here is they aren't using copper to do it.

NQ6U
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
The ALE-400 digital mode does a sort of faux full-duplex via a very slow time domain multiplexing. When I say slow, I mean that it's slow enough that you can watch it happen.

W3WN
02-24-2011, 02:57 PM
ALE? Isn't that the digital alternative to WinLink that Bonnie KQ6XA is preaching?

NQ6U
02-24-2011, 05:29 PM
ALE? Isn't that the digital alternative to WinLink that Bonnie KQ6XA is preaching?

I don't know. I've only used the one mode, ALE-400, which is pretty obscure. I think I've made a grand total of six QSOs with it.

n2ize
02-27-2011, 09:24 PM
It is definitely something to look into. Similar to the way the carrier is deleted with an opposite sideband, there has to be some tedious transmitter canceling to get this to work. Seems like time multiplexing would be easier, but I am always interested in new ideas and ways of making them work and improving them. This will be interesting to watch.

Does it work on AM ?

kb2vxa
02-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Did somebody say ALE? It's not a QSO without ALE!

X-Rated
02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Does it work on AM ?

Since this appears to be an analog approach to null out the transmitter signal at the receiver, I would assume it could be used for most modes. AM could be tricky due to the varying amplitude, but if it is properly aligned, I see no reason why it wouldn't work for AM as well.