One loves money, the other new shoes
One egg rolls, the other barbecues
One was a hippie, the other drank my booze
Let's get it on now Blacks and Jews,

One of my favorite songs by the great Josh Alan Friedman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJbQZSB8xZs

KG4CGC
02-20-2011, 11:33 PM
I don't care if the guy is both African American and Jewish American ...

kc7jty
02-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Wow!...what a racist prick American.

KG4CGC
02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
maybe he is, maybe he isn't but, does this do anything more than poke sticks?

n2ize
02-21-2011, 05:31 AM
I don't see it as racist at all. It's about a great religious group and a great ethnic group, both with great history and culture and a call for togetherness.

KC2KFC
02-21-2011, 06:20 AM
If I remember correctly, Sammy Davis Jr. said he converted to Judaism because he could identify with the struggle of the Jews and relate it to his struggles as a black in America during his younger years.

WØTKX
02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
http://www.newsreel.org/nav/title.asp?tc=CN0014

kc7jty
02-21-2011, 05:36 PM
If I remember correctly, Sammy Davis Jr. said he converted to Judaism because he could identify with the struggle of the Jews and relate it to his struggles as a black in America during his younger years.

good reason

W3WN
02-21-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't see it as racist at all. It's about a great religious group and a great ethnic group, both with great history and culture and a call for togetherness.Sure.
Well, there's no accounting for taste.

NQ6U
02-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Well, there's no accounting for taste..

Yeah, yeah--he was talking to my XYL when he said that. No need to rub it in.

W3WN
02-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, there's no accounting for taste.Yeah, yeah--he was talking to my XYL when he said that. No need to rub it in.Your XLY was Nilz Baris (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nilz_Baris), the Federation Undersecretary for Agricultural Affairs? Wow. Who knew?
"They don't like Klingons. But they do like Vulcans. I didn't know you had it in you."
"Obviously tribbles are very perceptive creatures, Captain."
"Obviously." (Carrying tribbles, Kirk walks over to Baris) "Mister Baris, they like you. Well, there's no accounting for taste."
- Kirk and Spock, using tribbles to uncover a Klingon spy

KG4CGC
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I worked with an African American gentleman for several years who was sensitive about the words that we used. For years I called everyone "boy", since it was common form in the South to greet friends or coworkers with, "Where ya bin boy?" So anyway, that HAD to stop and to make sure you were not still trying to insult anyone, African American Gentleman was what you would say to describe a man who's ancestors came to this country 8 generations ago from a country in Africa.

Fast forward to 2006 and a different African American gentleman asks me a question about where to return a tool. I told him to take it to Rodney. He then asked who Rodney was ... I said, "Rodney is the African American gentleman on C5." Look of confusion on his face, he goes to the area I described, returns and says, "Why didn't you just say the black guy?"

So anyway, one must default on the side of extreme respect with matters concerning another person's race even if someone else of that same race does not require you be as sensitive towards his race as others may say you must be. This must be done even if you do not see color because one day you are just going to be yourself and the word "boy" is going to slip out of your mouth in reference to an actual boy and then you're going to be in the shit, again.

N2NH
02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
Well, there's no accounting for taste.

I hear that a lot.

W3MIV
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I hear that a lot.

Not around here, I don't imagine. ;)

kc7jty
02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I worked with an African American gentleman for several years who was sensitive about the words that we used. For years I called everyone "boy", since it was common form in the South to greet friends or coworkers with, "Where ya bin boy?" So anyway, that HAD to stop and to make sure you were not still trying to insult anyone, African American Gentleman was what you would say to describe a man who's ancestors came to this country 8 generations ago from a country in Africa.

Fast forward to 2006 and a different African American gentleman asks me a question about where to return a tool. I told him to take it to Rodney. He then asked who Rodney was ... I said, "Rodney is the African American gentleman on C5." Look of confusion on his face, he goes to the area I described, returns and says, "Why didn't you just say the black guy?"

So anyway, one must default on the side of extreme respect with matters concerning another person's race even if someone else of that same race does not require you be as sensitive towards his race as others may say you must be. This must be done even if you do not see color because one day you are just going to be yourself and the word "boy" is going to slip out of your mouth in reference to an actual boy and then you're going to be in the shit, again.

the thing that put it all into perfect perspective for me was when the white guy lost his job for asking a black co-worker, who was pregnant, if she had been eating watermelon seeds.

bottom line:
#1 avoid them at all possible cost and...
#2 if that's not possible, just smile and say nothing other than good morning, hello, etc.

W3MIV
02-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I know of no Black man or woman among my acquaintances who objects to being called a Black man or woman, and I personally find that much preferable to the very cumbersome "African-American" euphemism that has come to style. As to the "watermelon seeds" comment, Bill, I would have censured the guy, too -- for stupidly racial insensitivity, if nothing else; though I don't think that I would have fired him. Even as humor, it is clearly too racial for any but the very closest of friends to share across what remains a very sensitive divide in our society.

kc7jty
02-25-2011, 01:12 AM
I know of no Black man or woman among my acquaintances who objects to being called a Black man or woman, and I personally find that much preferable to the very cumbersome "African-American" euphemism that has come to style. As to the "watermelon seeds" comment, Bill, I would have censured the guy, too -- for stupidly racial insensitivity, if nothing else; though I don't think that I would have fired him. Even as humor, it is clearly too racial for any but the very closest of friends to share across what remains a very sensitive divide in our society.
Sorry Albie but I must disagree sharply. When one is truly color blind that is when the danger creeps in.