PDA

View Full Version : D-Star and repeater politics

KØWVM
02-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Anyone experienced the politics involved with people who have access to them? Have that here and quite frankly I am not going to waste my time trying to get in the good graces of those that play the good ol boy club game with these systems.

KC9ECI
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm mildly curious about D-star but was unaware that there was politics behind it. There doesn't seem to be much interest in it locally.

KC2UGV
02-17-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm mildly curious about D-star but was unaware that there was politics behind it. There doesn't seem to be much interest in it locally.

Sadly, inherent with the "activation" required for a d-star radio, power-hungry yokels get off on being the gatekeepers...

W3WN
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Well, that's going to happen. But it could just as easily be a traditional analog repeater that has special features that are only open to Those Who Are Chosen By The Self-Appointed or Self-Important.

I haven't heard of any of that nonsense in the Pittsburgh area (yet), but there are only one or two D-Star systems active here right now. So that may change.

KJ3N
02-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm mildly curious about D-star but was unaware that there was politics behind it.

There are politics in nearly every repeater system / group. Why would D-Star be any different?

WØTKX
02-17-2011, 10:55 AM
D-Star is Elitist!

Just say NO to PL!

:rofl:

KJ3N
02-17-2011, 11:15 AM
D-Star is Elitist!

D-Star is a solution looking for a problem... :roll:

KA5PIU
02-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Hello.

From the beginning, D-Star was "special".
Anyone else who wants to put a repeater up has to wait for a pair to open up.
In the case of D-Star, they call it something else and change the band plan.
I feel very strongly that P-25 is the way to go and not D-Star.
First off, P-25 is another mode, the radios and repeaters that are out there now are frequently old commercial equipment.
Government users in the USA are going P-25, not D-Star, thus there will never be this massive supply of used D-Star showing up.
The ONLY government user of D-Star in the US is the Japanese embassy in D.C., and that is encrypted.
But, yes, special secret handshake, triple watusi, the whole bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqhKO4f784c

KØWVM
02-17-2011, 08:25 PM
A Nebraska repeater coordinator that resides here in the Omaha area is a gatekeeper on one. A couple of hams I know have said they have heard complaints that he has allowed only people in his inner circle gain access to it. Anyone else is pretty much told (verbally or non-verbally through ignoring requests for permission) to go pound sand.

It is happening in certain areas and here where I live is a prime example. I have no use for it personally for me since I still can access the vast listing of analog systems here in the area and the repeater owners certainly don't mind the use of them. It's his business in who he wants getting access to it but how he's going about doing it certainly is turning a lot of good hams off. Much like a closed analog repeater this is but not like DStar is as plentiful as the analog is right now.