PDA

View Full Version : Flouresent or Incandescent

n2ize
02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Recently my Mom read an article stating that these new compact fluorescent lightings are not good for health. Foiorst she heard they leach mercury and second that they cause eyestrain, headaches, and are generally unhealthy.

I tend to think otherwise. First off the amount of mercury in a typical CFL bulb is miniscule. Second off, the bulbs are sealed. The mercury can't get out unless its broken, and even when broken the amount is negligible.

Last off I think any kind of lighting can cause eyestrain. If you are doing any type of intensive reading or desk-work for long time periods you should always take breaks and rest the eyes. In that sense I doubt that fluorescent lighting is any worst than incandescent,.

I generally prefer florescent lighting to incandescent. My preference is for regular old fashioned straight tube fluorescents with a colour temperature of 5000K or more. That would mean that I like lighting that is very intense white or even bluish-white, such as obtained from a "cool-white" or "Daylight" fluorescent. My entire home/office/work area is lit by a combination of CFL's, and straight tube daylight fluorescents.

There is an intense rivalry between people who like fluorescents versus incandescents. Those who prefer incandescents tend to berate the fluorescent crowd and the florescent crowd tennds to attack and shun the incandescent crowd.

There are some areas where I do prefer incandescents. Christmas and decorative lightings, candelabra chandelier and mood lighting, refrigerator and appliance lighting, dummy loads, are a few areas where incandescents still rule the night.

For outdoor lighting and/or outdoor cold weather lighting I prefer high intensity discharge lighting, i.e mercury vapour, sodium vapour or metal halide lighting.

I wonder how the newer LED lighting will be ? Thus far I am not all that impressed with LED lighting, except in flashlights, hobby, and electronics.

What type of lighting do you prefer ? And why ?

PA5COR
02-16-2011, 06:00 PM
I always used TL lighting in places where you needed lotss of light, kitchen, shack in colour 33 daylight.
When the first energy saving lights based on CFL came out i replaced the most used lamps with them, just short used lights like toilet shed etc, were the old lamps.
Now i use a mix of LED lamps, commercially made and homebrew LED lighting.
And CFL latest generation, which have very loow mercury content, and if they fail i take them to the dump where there is a special container for dangerous waste.

In the shack i still have the TL lighting and switchable from 20 watts up to 140 watts from different directions making it virtually shaddow free.
I also have a portable 2 x 20 watt TL lamp, on NiMh battery's running one lamp 4 hours, 2 for 2 hours as back up for the large Maglite's ( LED)
Porch and backyard light is LED lamps, quick on, don't mind cold and for the 6 watts i get a lot of light per LED lamp.

Hallway and stairs 24/7 homebrew LED lights.
Attic and reloading place 2 x 40 watt TL and 2 x 20 watt TL directly over the reloading bench.

Bedrooms mix of LED/CFL in warm tones, main light White

Shed LED, will be solar panel fed with battery being independant of the grid.
Other rooms/places depending on light needed CFL/LED

Equipment meter lighting, white LED's ( MFJ 993B, MFJ 998, Daiwa CN-801 several Diamond SWR/Power meters, etc.

n2ize
02-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I think the stuff about the dangers of mercury in florescent lamps is way way overly exxaceraged. When i was a kid I used to play with mercury. We'd pour some into a dish and smak it with a coin too break it up into tiny drops and then we'd roll them around gathering all the tiny droplets back into the original big glob.. In later years i worked for Duracell doing battery research. I handled large containers containg several pounds of mercury as well as powdered zinc-mercury amalgams, dissolved mercury, mercury vapour and powdered cadmium. Of course we wore masks and used ventilation and we were blood tested for heavy metal exposure regularly. Even though we used safety measures rest assured, i was exposed to more mercury than a person would ever be exposed to from thousands of broken CFL bulbs.

KG4CGC
02-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Everything your mother read is probably wrong. Lack of broad spectrum light causes eyestrain more than anything else and incandescent lighting lacks the proper spectrum. Problem is, we've had little to compare it to since the time most of us were born unless you are involved in an industry or study that deals with manufacturing lighting or the use of light in some manner.

PA5COR
02-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Mercury switches, mercury playing around at school in science lessons, working at the natural gas plants where Radon and gallons of mercury came out of the pipes or machines we replaced, mercury thermometers etc.

If it is cool not much problems above room temperature it starts to evaporate and that is dangerous.
Clothes and shoes that had contact with mercury had to be pulled out and were destroyed and nw ones were provided free at that plant.

Try avoiding contact, certainly vapour.
In CFL's the amount is very low, annd in closed state it will not get out of the lamp.
Same for TL's in which the powder coating the tube inside is toxic as well.

KG4CGC
02-16-2011, 06:53 PM
We've been using far more fragile flouro-lamps for years. These are the long tubes that were more likely to break during handling and changing. We've been exposed to those to a far greater degree and it's not just because they break so easily but when they do the gas cloud gets on everything for a broad range in the atmosphere and on surfaces, skin and clothing.

CFLs are made to fit a wide range of applications. 6500K is called Daylight. It has the best spectrum for reading or working or anything that requires a clear view.

PA5COR
02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
That is why i mix bright white led's in an array with a few green and red led's and each set can be regulated so that you can get very close to that.

n2ize
02-16-2011, 07:18 PM
We've been using far more fragile flouro-lamps for years. These are the long tubes that were more likely to break during handling and changing. We've been exposed to those to a far greater degree and it's not just because they break so easily but when they do the gas cloud gets on everything for a broad range in the atmosphere and on surfaces, skin and clothing.

CFLs are made to fit a wide range of applications. 6500K is called Daylight. It has the best spectrum for reading or working or anything that requires a clear view.

I actually prefer the illumination from the older style mercury vapour discharge lamps. Only problem is that they are way too intense to use indoors. I tried running one inside but between the hum of the ballast and the extreme intensity of the light it was too much. Now I use daylight florescent inside and mercury vapor outside and for lighting my garage.

KG4CGC
02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I actually prefer the illumination from the older style mercury vapour discharge lamps. Only problem is that they are way too intense to use indoors. I tried running one inside but between the hum of the ballast and the extreme intensity of the light it was too much. Now I use daylight florescent inside and mercury vapor outside and for lighting my garage.
Well see now, that's a beast of a different species, HID (high intensity discharge) to be exact. Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium, Mercury Vapor just to name three and should not be compared to other methods of lighting.

NQ6U
02-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Carbon arc lamps are the only way to go unless it's a lime/water acetylene flame.

n6hcm
02-16-2011, 08:05 PM
I tend to think otherwise. First off the amount of mercury in a typical CFL bulb is miniscule. Second off, the bulbs are sealed. The mercury can't get out unless its broken, and even when broken the amount is negligible.

the bulbs get broken when they're disposed of. I recycle my CFL bulbs but i'm not really sure how they're recycled.

W3MIV
02-16-2011, 08:20 PM
When a few millions of CFL bulbs hit the landfills the amount of mercury adds up. Mercury is persistent, as are all the heavy metal pollutants. LED is the wave of the future; the CFL is an interim measure that is reaping substantial energy savings on the way to greater efficiency, longevity and safety that will result from the use of LEDs.

On the rare occasions when I have had a CFL fail, I put it in the recycling bin and let the "experts" manage the problem. I have had good luck with them so far.

w6tmi
02-16-2011, 08:22 PM
At a buck for 4 of 'em at a local market a few years ago, I bought a shitton of 'em.

They're have a yellow/orange cast, I can't tell the difference between them and incandescent. Aside from the second delay when you turn it on.

I read nightly off of one.

Regular fluorescent tubes, I dont like to read or be under. Go figure.

As yet haven't disposed of any.

Do I care what the guy next door uses? Nope, his business.

Edit to add:

LED is the wave of the future;

Can't disagree with that, I have a handheld flashlight that puts out more then a halagon "KC lite".

W2NAP
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Incandescent give me headaches.

I prefer florescent mainly the long tube "shop lights"

n2ize
02-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Well see now, that's a beast of a different species, HID (high intensity discharge) to be exact. Metal Halide, High Pressure Sodium, Mercury Vapor just to name three and should not be compared to other methods of lighting.

I always liked HID lights.

n2ize
02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Carbon arc lamps are the only way to go unless it's a lime/water acetylene flame.

I built a carbon arc lamp many years ago. I used a space heater as a current limiting resistor. Prior to the space heater I used a "salt water rheostat". The dang thing was nasty. It buzzed and spit sparks and other hot nasty stuff. But it lit up the backyards as bright as day. Got the neighbors all wondering what the heck was going on. I had to wear welding glasses when operating it. It was dangerous to look at that thing. I was going to put a paraboloc reflector around it and turn it into a high power spotlight. I certainly wouldn't recommend running one of them indoors, unless you like fire.

NQ6U
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I built a carbon arc lamp many years ago. I used a space heater as a current limiting resistor. Prior to the space heater I used a "salt water rheostat". The dang thing was nasty. It buzzed and spit sparks and other hot nasty stuff. But it lit up the backyards as bright as day. Got the neighbors all wondering what the heck was going on. I had to wear welding glasses when operating it. It was dangerous to look at that thing. I was going to put a paraboloc reflector around it and turn it into a high power spotlight. I certainly wouldn't recommend running one of them indoors, unless you like fire.

When I was in high school, I worked as a stage hand for the drama department and, among duties, operated a carbon arc follow spot during shows. Nasty piece of work, one of those things, but a lot of fun to use when you're 17. It had a densely smoked glass window in the side so you could monitor striking the arc and a variable-speed motor drive to feed the carbon electrodes as they burned up. As I recall, the electrodes were about eight inches long with a copper jacket on the outside I'd have have to replace them before every show.

n2ize
02-16-2011, 10:29 PM
When I was in high school, I worked as a stage hand for the drama department and, among duties, operated a carbon arc follow spot during shows. Nasty piece of work, one of those things, but a lot of fun to use when you're 17. It had a densely smoked glass window in the side so you could monitor striking the arc and a variable-speed motor drive to feed the carbon electrodes as they burned up. As I recall, the electrodes were about eight inches long with a copper jacket on the outside I'd have have to replace them before every show.

Yep. Now they use short arc lamps.

W5GA
02-16-2011, 10:47 PM
How do you feel about water/carbide lamps?

n2ize
02-16-2011, 10:48 PM
I also love neon lighting. I would love to start collecting neon signs. There is something magical about neon.

NQ6U
02-16-2011, 10:59 PM
How do you feel about water/carbide lamps?

That's what I meant when I said lime/water, actually. We always used to call it lime but you're right, calcium carbide is more correct.

NQ6U
02-16-2011, 11:03 PM
I also love neon lighting. I would love to start collecting neon signs. There is something magical about neon.

Worked in a sign shop when I was going through art school and I installed a lot of neon. Constructing the tubes themselves a very esoteric art; I didn't do it myself but I watched it being done and it's very interesting. As you might suspect, tube benders get burned a lot.

KA5PIU
02-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Hello.

The selection depends on what it is you are trying to do.
http://www.ferrowatt.com/products.php#a2
http://www.alzodigital.com/online_store/light_bulbs_mono_light_modeling.htm
I have an old photo strobe that uses incandescent bulbs in an unusual manner.
The light bulb is brought up to temp with one diode in series.
Another pair of diodes charges a voltage doubler and starts a neon lamp.
When ready, closing a circuit fires the voltage doubler and an intense white light, an early example.
The original circuit had a total of 4 mercury devices.
Now there are 2 SCR and 2 diodes of the silicon flavor inside.
More than once I have had "purists" tell me that what I was doing is wrong.
But I look at the safety standpoint first, and what looks nice to me second.
So I would say follow what is right for you.
This being the case you might end up with a half Collins half Soviet almost KWM-2x with a lot of solid state in it, in blue. ;)
Follow what is right for YOU.

KC2UGV
02-17-2011, 08:57 AM
I tend to prefer CFL's, only because I don't have to replace them very often. I doubt highly that fluorescents are "bad for your health", as I am constantly around CFL's and office fluorescents, and I'm healthy as an ox. Still.

Now, the first generation of CFL's gave me headaches, because their color was "off". Long tubes have had years to get the temperature just right, the CFL's just had to play catch up.

KG4CGC
02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
I tend to prefer CFL's, only because I don't have to replace them very often. I doubt highly that fluorescents are "bad for your health", as I am constantly around CFL's and office fluorescents, and I'm healthy as an ox. Still.

Now, the first generation of CFL's gave me headaches, because their color was "off". Long tubes have had years to get the temperature just right, the CFL's just had to play catch up.
I have a few of those creeping type house plants that I bring indoors during the Winter. Daylight CFLs keep them thriving while inside. I also can put them anywhere and not have to rely on having a space near a window which can sometimes be a bit cold on the coldest days. It also means that I don't need special fixtures for the lamps.

NQ6U
02-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Daylight CFLs also make excellent, cheap flood lights for video work.

KG4CGC
02-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Daylight CFLs also make excellent, cheap flood lights for video work.
Yes they do as I have done the same for still work.

KG4CGC
02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Yes indeed folks. CFL light bulbs, the greatest thing since the invention of the factory bread slicer!

n2ize
02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
The problem is that a lot of hippies, environuts and health freaks and even right wing extremists and conspiracy theorists have been writing nonsense on line telling people that CFL's are dangerous, that they leach deadly mercury and, God forbid if one breaks... your home must be evacuated and it must be registered as a top priority superfund cleanup site. They have also been telling people that they give off dangerous radiation, they give of harmful UV and IR radiation, dangerous RF and that they are generally a menace to our health and well being. Sadly they have marketed this nonsense and worded it in ways that sound authoritative and professional. I don't stand a chance against these freaks regardless of my background and knowledge,

It's sort of like the people who are saying tyhat vaccines are unnessesary and that they cause autism and other serious diseases. When I try to explain to them about probabilities and that the majority of studies show no correlation between vaccines and autism they scoff at me. Heck, what do I know. I only have an advanced degree in math and probability and I have worked for various companies and organizations doing various studies.. All it takes is one freak to tell em "hey man, those evil vaccines are killin us man" and people will reject knowledge, experience and factual information in favor the arguments of one freak who knows nothing.

As the lady in my avatar often used to say..."what ought to be is more real than what merely is". In other words if people think things ought to be a certain way then to them that becomes their reality, even if it is not the true reality. Or, in abbreviated form... damned the real truth... the truth is whatever I want it to be.

KA5PIU
02-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Hello.

The solution it would seem would be to commission a "study" where it is found that CFL are the best thing ever for grow lights?
Show that marijuana not only likes it but thrives under a CFL bulb!
In fact, how about a little "green" label of cannabis leaf one every package?
Not only will that bunch not object, they will be trying to "score" a CFL, if only for the package!

W1GUH
02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
'BSO:

...As you might suspect, tube benders get burned a lot.

I"m sure the do!!! :bbh:

W3MIV
02-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Worked in a sign shop when I was going through art school and I installed a lot of neon. Constructing the tubes themselves a very esoteric art; I didn't do it myself but I watched it being done and it's very interesting. As you might suspect, tube benders get burned a lot.

Interesting. I had a similar experience working neon. I did a lot of bending -- we used to draw the patterns up on asbestos sheets like heavy paper (groan!) and bend the tubing over the pattern -- and I didn't get burned much. Worst part was evacuating the tubes and inserting the gases.

n2ize
02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
I was thinking of experimenting with some neon tube making at home. I can order the tubing and a have some nice gas burners will all sorts of wing tips, flame spreaders, etc. I need a good vacuum pump and some cylinders of gases.

I would also love to build some Geissler Tubes.During the mid - late 19th century they built some absolutely stunning Geissler tubes.

KA5PIU
02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Hell0o.

If you are only going to do a bit of neon there are cheap and dirty tricks.
First, an old freon refrigerant pump works well to draw a bit of vacuum.
Next, run the tube to pressure with the rare earth gas, release some of the pressure and repeat.
You will have it pure enough to work.
One way of reducing the voltage requirements is to put together a pre starter, nothing more than a small pair of elements that can start on low voltage.
The other option is to use a light bulb filament in much the same way some florescent lamps do.
I have some clear 3 way bulbs with single filament and a metal ring, you can apply voltage to the filament and it is an incandescent bulb or voltage to the neon ring, or both.
I think it is a piece of art, GE calls it a shipboard smoking indicator bulb.
It runs on 120 volts, AC or DC.