PDA

View Full Version : Whitey

w2amr
02-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Last Wed. when I came home at lunch time I noticed one of my pigeons looked very sick. Whitey looked lethargic and seemed to be vomiting. I wrapped him in a towel and went straight to the animal hospital about 1/2 hour from here. After X rays and an exam, the doc thinks he has an infection in his digestive system. He also says he has to be kept somewhere where the temp is around 65 degrees for about 5 days. I have to give him 5 MI of Emeraid two times a day for 3 days, and 0.4 ml of an antibiotic once a day for ten days. So for the past 5 days Whitey has been living in a cat carrier which is sitting on an old radio next to the window. He just hangs out looking at the outside world through the holes in the cat carrier. He ate a bit of feed yesterday, and is looking much better. I will put him back with the rest of the birds today at lunch time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

N8YX
02-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Whitey, George.

One of my friends @ work is out sick today with the same type of thing.

PA5COR
02-14-2011, 07:22 AM
^ echoing the best wishes.

Always difficult of loved ones, or your animal(s) get ill and you feel bad because you can't do much to help them.

KC2UGV
02-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Well, good to hear he, is doing better :) Here's to a fast recovery, and glad to hear to got him to the vet quickly enough.

rot
02-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Hey man, wishing Whitey the best.
rot

NA4BH
02-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Go Whitey. Get well soon.

w2amr
02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks Guys. I put him back in the bird house at noon today. He ate with the other birds, had a drink of water, and is back on his platform. I still have to give him the antibiotic once a day untill Sat. He looks very happy to be back home.

w2amr
02-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Whitey, George.

One of my friends @ work is out sick today with the same type of thing.
Will he have to spend 6 days in a cat carrier?

N8YX
02-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Will he have to spend 6 days in a cat carrier?
Now that's a good question. 6 days in a cubicle could be worse... :whistle:

KG4CGC
02-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi Whitey,
Get better. Be sure to listen to George and watch out for any smooth talking swifts.

w2amr
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Now that's a good question. 6 days in a cubicle could be worse... :whistle:No doubt.:lol: I would take the cat carrier.

W3MIV
02-14-2011, 02:27 PM
"Swifts?" I was thinking more like keep an eye out for Henry, but then nobody ever remembers Henry. Only Leghorn.

w2amr
02-14-2011, 03:28 PM
This thing has me considering pet insurance.$$$$$ :nono:

WV6Z
02-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Hope Whitey gets well soon!

w2amr
02-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Hope Whitey gets well soon!Thanks Tom.

w2amr
02-15-2011, 04:18 AM
I noticed the temp was supposed to drop about 30 degrees last night. Just to be on the safe side, I brought him back in the house late yesterday afternoon. Then It's supposed to warm up again tomorrow into the weekend.

n2ize
02-15-2011, 04:44 AM
My Dad and his friends used to have a pigeon coop on the roof of his apartment building in the Bronx. In those days (1940's-50's) pigeon keeping was quite a popular activity. Pigeon thieves would watch from the street to see what roofs pigeons were flying from and then they'd sneak up there late at night to steal the birds to sell to other pigeon keepers. But my Dad and his friends had a clever system to thwart these thieves. The dumbwaiter in the building was no longer in use and it had an access port on the roof. So, when all the birds came in for the night they would lower the pigeon coop down into the dumbwaiter shaft where it would stay all night. When the crooks came up to the roof to steal the birds they would find no coop up there. But, there were birds flying off that roof earlier... where were they ? To my knowledge they never had any birds stolen using this method.

N2CHX
02-15-2011, 04:48 AM
No doubt.:lol: I would take the cat carrier.

Ha! Me too. Glad Whitey is doing better. Sorry I didn't look at this thread until now because I thought it was about Teabaggers.

w2amr
02-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Ha! Me too. Glad Whitey is doing better. Sorry I didn't look at this thread until now because I thought it was about Teabaggers.Nah, I think Whitey is a Democrat.:-D

w2amr
02-15-2011, 05:33 AM
My Dad and his friends used to have a pigeon coop on the roof of his apartment building in the Bronx. In those days (1940's-50's) pigeon keeping was quite a popular activity. Pigeon thieves would watch from the street to see what roofs pigeons were flying from and then they'd sneak up there late at night to steal the birds to sell to other pigeon keepers. But my Dad and his friends had a clever system to thwart these thieves. The dumbwaiter in the building was no longer in use and it had an access port on the roof. So, when all the birds came in for the night they would lower the pigeon coop down into the dumbwaiter shaft where it would stay all night. When the crooks came up to the roof to steal the birds they would find no coop up there. But, there were birds flying off that roof earlier... where were they ? To my knowledge they never had any birds stolen using this method.Good thinking.

w2amr
02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
My little buddy gets to sleep in his own bed tonight for the first time in 7 days.

WV6Z
02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Excellent news! :)

W5GA
02-16-2011, 05:52 PM
w00t!

PA5COR
02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Looking good then?

Congrats ;)

N7YA
02-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Good deal! Lots of people discount animals as irrelevant...they sure mean a lot to those of us who have them and its always sad when bad things happen to them so im happy to hear your buddy is ok. My friend came home the other day and found her old dog dead in the pool, she is still trying to deal with that so a nice story with a happy ending is always welcome.