PDA

View Full Version : Gopher

n2ize
02-13-2011, 04:42 PM
I just compiler and built my Gopher server and set it up to run locally. As a test i set an arbitrary root directory and then realized, i don;t have a Gopher client handy. So , out of curiosity I tried accessing via Opera browser via "Gopher://localhost:70" but the request couldn't be processed. Then I tried via firefox and... VIOLA'... the directory came up. Apparently Firefox DOES have Gopher support built in.

I hope to put it up on line in a couple of days. This is purely/mainly for nostalgic purposes and too help add to the list of functional Gopher sites as a means of keeping the Gopher protocol alive.. Many newbies have never heard of or used Gopher. However, there are still a fair number of Gopher servers indexed out there. In addition to nostalgia I intend for it to be functional.

KC2UGV
02-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Let me know the address for when it goes public :)

n2ize
02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Let me know the address for when it goes public :)

For starters I'll probably host it right here from home. My ip addy stays fixed for months on end and port 70 isn't blocked (at least I don't think it is) so, I should be able to keep it running long enough to let some of the Islanders give it a test drive. How/where I'll host it from in the long term I'm not 100% sure yet.

Now I have to think of something to put on there so that when people look at it they at least see something more interesting than a test root directory. Any suggestions ??

And lets not forget Archie, Jughead, and Veronica (now Veronica2) :).

I remember when all my early Linux distros came with a Gopher server and one or more Gopher clients and indexing software.

WØTKX
02-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Can we FINGER ya Freddie? ;)

KC2UGV
02-13-2011, 05:33 PM
For starters I'll probably host it right here from home. My ip addy stays fixed for months on end and port 70 isn't blocked (at least I don't think it is) so, I should be able to keep it running long enough to let some of the Islanders give it a test drive. How/where I'll host it from in the long term I'm not 100% sure yet.

Now I have to think of something to put on there so that when people look at it they at least see something more interesting than a test root directory. Any suggestions ??

And lets not forget Archie, Jughead, and Veronica (now Veronica2) :).

I remember when all my early Linux distros came with a Gopher server and one or more Gopher clients and indexing software.

pub dropbox (write-only, no read), amprnet network list, and maybe some rfc's related to AX25 :)

W3WN
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Can we FINGER ya Freddie? ;)I miss the days when we could Finger the coke machine at CMU.

KC2UGV
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
John, you might want to hop over to sdf.lonestar.org They have a gopher system running right now, and have a section of their BBS dedicated to it :)

PS They also have an amateur sub-forum.

n2ize
03-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice. I even signed up for the free UNIX shell account. :)

W3MIV
03-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I miss the day when I could finger...

Oh, never mind.