PDA

View Full Version : Just the facts, mam.

KA5PIU
02-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Hello.

I find this very funny.:-D
As you must be aware, it is next to impossible to have more than one set of license plates on a vehicle legally at the same time, but only next. :mrgreen:
One can apply for Texas plates for an old truck that had exempt plates before.
One can also apply for President Inaugural plates.
http://dcplates.com/Presidential.htm
Anyone can buy them, and they a legal D. C. plates.
Once you have them you can renew them. like any other D. C. plate.
Remember that the vehicle came with Texas exempt plates and registration.
That was updated when the vehicle was sold.
Drive the thing down to Mexico with the Exempt plates and a notarized bill of sale, and apply for Mexican registration.
Drive vehicle back to the US and drive it to a government facility.
Same vehicle, D.C. plates and Sinaloa (MX) plates and Texas plates, everything up to date.
There is nothing wrong with this but there is no procedure whatsoever to deal with this.
You look at the Texas registration, prior plates were exempt Texas.
You look at the D.C. plates, prior plates were Texas exempt.
You look at the Mexican plates, prior plates were Texas exempt.
So clearly everything was done by the book, but there is nothing in the book to deal with this.
Think I just might have had a hand in this? :-D:mrgreen:

N2CHX
02-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Pics or it never happened.

W7XF
02-11-2011, 09:28 AM
I call :bs:

NQ6U
02-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Many cars around here have plates from both Mexico and California. Nothing "next to impossible" about it at all.

W3WN
02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
So, ku goniff, based on the information in the link, you're claiming either you were involved in the inauguration, or you were a member of Omega Psi Phi?

Right.

KA5PIU
02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Hello.

Read the link, you need no involvement other than pay the fees.
And, yes, California and Mexico plates? no biggie.
Texas and Mexico, it happens all the time.
But, there is no place on the federal computer form for 3 registrations.
Again, anyone can do this.
Read the website, ANYONE can buy the plates.

W3WN
02-11-2011, 06:48 PM
< snip >
Read the website, ANYONE can buy the plates.
I read the website. The plates that "anyone" can buy were souveniers that can not be legally used on motor vehicles.

The only legal plates were those issued to specific groups or law enforcement entities. Not the general public.

Goodbye.

KA5PIU
02-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Hello.

Reread that.
"Plates of this design were offered to the public in general-issue and personalized form, and were issued in pairs. General-issue plates were numbered sequentially beginning at 002006 and cost $35 per set, whereas personalized plates could be ordered with up to six characters for $50 per set. On Jan. 7, 2005, the D.C. Dept. of Motor Vehicles announced that plates of this design could be displayed on the front of properly registered vehicles in lieu of the assigned D.C. plate. There is no motorcycle version of this plate."
"Although from the standpoint of Presidential Inaugural plates the inauguration of 2009 was similar in many respects to that of 2005, there is one very significant difference: examples of one of the two distinct plate designs were not made available to the general public, but rather were used only on Presidential and Vice Presidential vehicles as well as accompanying vehicles of the U.S. Secret Service."
The 2005 design was made available, with 2009 as the date, of course.
"The second 2009 design was created and marketed by Hunter International Co. and produced by Motor Vehicle License Systems (MVLS), continuing their 2005 partnership. It prominently features an image of the Lincoln Memorial statue of Pres. Abraham Lincoln, commemorating the 200th anniversary of the birth of the Great Emancipator. These plates are flat with a debossed edge, and examples were widely marketed prior to inauguration day. Also like 2005, the Hunter/MVLS plate could not legally be used on motor vehicles, but rather was offered only as a souvenir. The flat plates were manufactured and sold in pairs, and all sold to the general public (i.e. all except those specially made for use during the inauguration) are personalized with up to five characters, printed in black. Their cost was $50 per set."
Note that there were 2 sets.
The first set was issued as a legal license plate but says nothing about Obama, it is just a DC plate that says Presidential Inauguration 1999.
It is a valid plate that can be renewed like any other DC plate.
http://dmv.dc.gov/main.shtm

N2CHX
02-11-2011, 07:16 PM
So I guess this begs the question.... Even if you CAN, why the f*ck would you want to? You enjoy paying three times the registration fees?

W7XF
02-11-2011, 08:33 PM
+1 Kelli.

I cringe every January when I get the renewal notice for my pickup!! And that is JUST for Arizona!

NA4BH
02-11-2011, 08:39 PM
So I guess this begs the question.... Even if you CAN, why the f*ck would you want to? You enjoy paying three times the registration fees?

Stupid is, as stupid does. :lol:

W4RLR
02-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Hello.

I find this very funny.:-D
As you must be aware, it is next to impossible to have more than one set of license plates on a vehicle legally at the same time, but only next. :mrgreen:
One can apply for Texas plates for an old truck that had exempt plates before.
One can also apply for President Inaugural plates.
Anyone can buy them, and they a legal D. C. plates.
Once you have them you can renew them. like any other D. C. plate.
Remember that the vehicle came with Texas exempt plates and registration.
That was updated when the vehicle was sold.
Drive the thing down to Mexico with the Exempt plates and a notarized bill of sale, and apply for Mexican registration.
Drive vehicle back to the US and drive it to a government facility.
Same vehicle, D.C. plates and Sinaloa (MX) plates and Texas plates, everything up to date.
There is nothing wrong with this but there is no procedure whatsoever to deal with this.
You look at the Texas registration, prior plates were exempt Texas.
You look at the D.C. plates, prior plates were Texas exempt.
You look at the Mexican plates, prior plates were Texas exempt.
So clearly everything was done by the book, but there is nothing in the book to deal with this.
Think I just might have had a hand in this? :-D:mrgreen:Without a doubt. With such a screwed up situation, only Rudy could have done it.

W4RLR
02-11-2011, 08:46 PM
+1 Kelli.

I cringe every January when I get the renewal notice for my pickup!! And that is JUST for Arizona!Mine runs $8.00. But then again I have disabled veteran plates on the most expensive vehicle in the fleet. Renewing the other vehicles in December set me back almost $200 for my wife's car, and my daughter's former car, which is now my spare car.