PDA

View Full Version : Never really faced this before with Echolink

KØWVM
02-09-2011, 08:03 PM
There is a good chance I could go on a short term (maybe a month) deployment to the Middle East and planning on taking a laptop with me for Echolink. When and where exactly I am going I am not at liberty to say right now...

I would bring my HF gear but I don't want to go to the trouble of having to bring all of that on top of my other gear/clothing. I know that is a weak argument because people who go on DXpeditions all the time. My circumstance is a little different and reluctant to bring my own stuff for this.

My only concern is that if I connect via the internet over there using my issued stateside callsign for Echolink to talk to some friends back here over a friends repeater back here localy and the legalities within it. I am researching agreements and see if I am kosher or not to do that and connect with a repeater back here.

NQ6U
02-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Where you goin', huh, huh? When you leavin'? I won't tell no one, I promise [where did I put Julian Assange's cell number?], cross my heart!

W4RLR
02-09-2011, 08:06 PM
There is a good chance I could go on a short term (maybe a month) deployment to the Middle East and planning on taking a laptop with me for Echolink. When and where exactly I am going I am not at liberty to say right now...

I would bring my HF gear but I don't want to go to the trouble of having to bring all of that on top of my other gear/clothing. I know that is a weak argument because people who go on DXpeditions all the time. My circumstance is a little different and reluctant to bring my own stuff for this.

My only concern is that if I connect via the internet over there using my issued stateside callsign for Echolink to talk to some friends back here over a friends repeater back here localy and the legalities within it. I am researching agreements and see if I am kosher or not to do that and connect with a repeater back here.I think the bigger problem is getting the incoming and outgoing ports configured so you can even USE Echolink.

KØWVM
02-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Where you goin', huh, huh? When you leavin'? I won't tell no one, I promise [where did I put Julian Assange's cell number?], cross my heart!

If I can get on here from there, I will let you know after I am there. Being told it might be more of a work vacation than anything. Let's hope they are right! ;)

KØWVM
02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
I think the bigger problem is getting the incoming and outgoing ports configured so you can even USE Echolink.

I might see if I they have a cafe on the base and could let me know what they are. They may not even allow that while I am over there so will just have to suck it up and press.

KØWVM
02-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Got a call back from the repeater owner and he said I am kosher as long as I go through the internet via the laptop. Going to have a blast if this works and will make passing the time a lot of fun. As Richard said I might have some problems with the I/O ports to get it to work. Hopefully that won't be the case and will work just fine.

NQ6U
02-10-2011, 01:08 AM
If I can get on here from there, I will let you know after I am there. Being told it might be more of a work vacation than anything. Let's hope they are right! ;)

That's for sure. Keep your head down and your eyes open, my friend.

WV6Z
02-10-2011, 01:10 AM
I really dont think you will have a problem at all, especially if you go through any of the Public Proxys listed on Echolink.

KC2UGV
02-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Got a call back from the repeater owner and he said I am kosher as long as I go through the internet via the laptop. Going to have a blast if this works and will make passing the time a lot of fun. As Richard said I might have some problems with the I/O ports to get it to work. Hopefully that won't be the case and will work just fine.

If you want a proxy for echolink, let me know. I'll set it up, and send you the access password.

N2CHX
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Good luck!

KØWVM
02-10-2011, 10:32 PM
If you want a proxy for echolink, let me know. I'll set it up, and send you the access password.

Definitely will give it a shot if I have difficulties. Always a chance!

KØWVM
02-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Good luck!

Thanks Kelli!

n2ize
02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
I always get Echoolink confused with that other service that is bad.

KA5PIU
02-24-2011, 11:14 PM
I always get Echoolink confused with that other service that is bad.

Hello.

Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink! Winlink!
http://www.winlink.org/