PDA

View Full Version : WiMAX

X-Rated
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Anyone use WiMAX internet at home? I was thinking about using Clear 4G. Don't really know much about it but I am sick and tired of Comcast. They screw up our service all the time anymore. My wife is ready to change.

KJ3N
02-09-2011, 05:07 PM
4G WiMax software came preloaded on this HP laptop, but I have no interest in it.

Between the wireless at work (Verizon DSL) and home (Verizon FiOS), I'm good to go.

ETA: I imagine if I was a road warrior, I'd be looking for something like WiMax.

X-Rated
02-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I am looking for an option at home. Comcast has horribly poor cables into the area and on the property. My download speeds are often in the 500k region. They are starting to block Netflix. The family needs a workable option at home for internet. ATT DSL seems pricey since we have to buy phone service. I am just looking for another option to Comcast.

N1LAF
02-09-2011, 09:37 PM
I am looking for an option at home. Comcast has horribly poor cables into the area and on the property. My download speeds are often in the 500k region. They are starting to block Netflix. The family needs a workable option at home for internet. ATT DSL seems pricey since we have to buy phone service. I am just looking for another option to Comcast.

Don't look at AT&T DSL, they are just as bad. I am trying the 12 month 'special' of 6 Mbps for $25/month, but the routers are all limited to 3 Mbps, and download speeds drop to 400K in the evenings, 2.3Mbps during the early morning. When called tech support, they want to send someone out to test the lines, and threaten charges if they do not find anything. Can't get through to them that they have a bandwidth problem. Get this... download at 400Kbps, upload at 630Kbps.

Jerry, when it gets to 100Kbps, Dialup starts to look good again...

Look in the yellow pages for independent DSL providers. You can use AT&T phone lines with third party DSL providers. They tend not to have the speed disclaimer like AT&T has. An example of third party (in Conn.) 99main.com

KC2UGV
02-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Anyone use WiMAX internet at home? I was thinking about using Clear 4G. Don't really know much about it but I am sick and tired of Comcast. They screw up our service all the time anymore. My wife is ready to change.

How's Sprint Cell data coverage/speeds in your area?

If that's great, Clear 4G is a good option. If it sucks, then I'd steer clear. It's the same network.

X-Rated
02-09-2011, 11:18 PM
How's Sprint Cell data coverage/speeds in your area?

If that's great, Clear 4G is a good option. If it sucks, then I'd steer clear. It's the same network.

We get most services around here.

n6hcm
02-10-2011, 05:31 AM
We get most services around here.

you want to be more specific. use their coverage map--that seems pretty accurate.

i'm using clear wimax through sprint with a mifi-type device. works really well at the office--with a real crappy signal i get at least 3Mb down.

X-Rated
02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
you want to be more specific. use their coverage map--that seems pretty accurate.

i'm using clear wimax through sprint with a mifi-type device. works really well at the office--with a real crappy signal i get at least 3Mb down.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/ClearInternet.png

Here is where I live wrt the cell towers. I am about 4000 feet to 2 different towers.

KC2UGV
02-10-2011, 11:56 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/ClearInternet.png

Here is where I live wrt the cell towers. I am about 4000 feet to 2 different towers.

Do you have a friend with a Android phone, who uses Sprint?

If so, ask them to download the SpeedTest app, and come to your house and run it :)

You'll be able to assume comparable speeds to the ClearMax service.

X-Rated
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Do you have a friend with a Android phone, who uses Sprint?

If so, ask them to download the SpeedTest app, and come to your house and run it :)

You'll be able to assume comparable speeds to the ClearMax service.

My son has a G2. The one who is not living with me. I could have him come over. Now he is on T-mobile. Will that be the same as the Clear or the other companies? They seem to have the same water towers.

n6hcm
02-11-2011, 05:06 AM
My son has a G2. The one who is not living with me. I could have him come over. Now he is on T-mobile. Will that be the same as the Clear or the other companies? They seem to have the same water towers.

i wouldn't bet on all the same towers.

sprint has a 30-day guarantee. use the guarantee.

X-Rated
02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
i wouldn't bet on all the same towers.

sprint has a 30-day guarantee. use the guarantee.

Do you have a ling to a deal from sprint to where I could easily use the internet at home with them? I see Verizon and Clear offer these deals, but I am not seeing Sprint except for their cell phones.

KC2UGV
02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Do you have a ling to a deal from sprint to where I could easily use the internet at home with them? I see Verizon and Clear offer these deals, but I am not seeing Sprint except for their cell phones.

If you get an android phone, you can always root + wireless tether :)

X-Rated
02-11-2011, 02:19 PM
If you get an android phone, you can always root + wireless tether :)

I would like to peruse the offer before walking through the door. Certain providers will allow you unlimited internet except they charge extra for streaming movies and certain video. I know Clear allows for the movie streaming.

KC2UGV
02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
I would like to peruse the offer before walking through the door. Certain providers will allow you unlimited internet except they charge extra for streaming movies and certain video. I know Clear allows for the movie streaming.

Well, I don't know about how Clear structures their data; but I know with phones being used in a tethered fashion, they haven't caught on yet :)

n6hcm
02-12-2011, 05:35 AM

sprint doesn't seem to have a device geared toward home use. the closest they seem to have is the overdrive (which is a mifi sort of device), and i suppose you could use that for home internet.

N1LAF
02-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Well, I don't know about how Clear structures their data; but I know with phones being used in a tethered fashion, they haven't caught on yet :)

How about this...

http://www.walkinghotspot.com/

Also...

http://www.knowyourcell.com/features/465590/turn_your_htc_windows_phone_into_a_wifi_hotspot_fo r_free.html

X-Rated
02-14-2011, 11:23 AM
How about this...

http://www.walkinghotspot.com/

Also...

http://www.knowyourcell.com/features/465590/turn_your_htc_windows_phone_into_a_wifi_hotspot_fo r_free.html

I will look into these. Free seems too good to be true.

n6hcm
02-15-2011, 04:12 AM

afaik clear doesn't support *phones* ... just data devices.

X-Rated
03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Well. Last weekend, I finally got around to getting a Clearwire device. On the speedtest, I could clock an excess of 5Mbps with no trouble. We were pretty pleased on the whole. We have a 14 day trial period with them and we decided to see what would happen with those 14 days.

They are now throttling our downloads. We were experiencing 400kbps and my son wanted to call them to see what we were doing wrong. But yeah. They throttle a lot here. So we are going to be taking it back this weekend after a week.

It really has bummed us out. We were excited about the technology and getting internet without all the cables. But it just isn't there yet. Even though we tested it in our neighborhood for a few days, we were satisfied with the results until about 5 days of usage. It has nothing to do with the reception, and everything to do with the ISP. We made sure of that.

So, we are now off to other options. That is Clear now.

W2NAP
03-18-2011, 03:46 PM
as long as the ISP's are pretty much nothing more then big monopolies, dont expect much for internet. you think 400kbs is bad most i avg is 50-70kbs and its comcrap 2 months ago it was 100-150kbs

KC2UGV
03-21-2011, 07:56 AM
afaik clear doesn't support *phones* ... just data devices.

Well, they sorta do. Clear is the company providing Sprint's "4G" service...

kd8dey
03-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Every few months I get letters from AT&T That they are now offering DSL Without phone service for $14.95 a month for their basic plan (More for faster access).
You might want to call them and see if the offer is available in your area....

I Have clear wire and have to deal with summer foliage interfering with connection quality/slowing down connection speed........

X-Rated
03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Every few months I get letters from AT&T That they are now offering DSL Without phone service for $14.95 a month.
You might want to call them and see if the offer is available in your area....

Thanks. I will call and see what they have.

kd8dey
03-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I just looked on the interwebz and they have a link on their website

http://www.att.com/dsl/#fbid=wH_gWuaSDOd

X-Rated
03-21-2011, 01:05 PM

My problem is that the thing reads...

Price good for a full year! Downstream speed up to 6.0 Mbps.

So 40kbps would work under that plan. Does nobuddy advertise that they have a minimum download speed? Is nobuddy responsible for maintaining their service?

N1LAF
03-21-2011, 03:29 PM

Don't believe it. Experience says it isn't true. I have 6mb capability to the box, but because of the number of users on the service, it is throttled to 3mb, and you only get 80% of that. During the late afternoon and early evening, you will see that 2.2mb drop down to 400kb/s, even though upload speed doesn't change.

N1LAF
03-21-2011, 03:31 PM
My problem is that the thing reads...

So 40kbps would work under that plan. Does nobuddy advertise that they have a minimum download speed? Is nobuddy responsible for maintaining their service?

BINGO!! We have a winner!!

Exactly right, Jerry, they only advertise what the system is capable, but they are not accountable for throttling the download rate, nor are they accountable for overloading their system.