PDA

View Full Version : Got a new Canadian quarter in change today. I just figured it was

kc7jty
02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
another goofy special edition commemorative until I tried to use it in a vending machine for purified water (it was slightly smaller diameter)
I was a bit pissed I'd probably have to eat it till I bought a $40 shirt for $6.97 (bargain rack) @ Penny's. The woman cashier had thick glasses. I figured this is my chance.

I sandwiched it between a nickel and dime to cover the price to within 3c using cash.
She looked at it for a second (I figured I was a goner) but put it into the till.
Now some other sap will have to go through the same nightmare.

These GD Canadians come here, dump a quarter or two then go home and brag about it.
(I'm serious about the above sentence too)

"Ah those fuckin Americans are fuckin stupid eh? I unloaded some quarters there last time I visited the place and they just took 'em eh?

KG4CGC
02-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Damn, Bill. I would have bought it off ya.

kc7jty
02-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Damn, Bill. I would have bought it off ya.

How much? I'll go back tomorrow morning and tell 'em my conscience is bothering me.

NQ6U
02-09-2011, 01:25 AM
How much? I'll go back tomorrow morning and tell 'em my conscience is bothering me.

Twenty cents.

WV6Z
02-09-2011, 01:40 AM

:D Priceless!

KG4CGC
02-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Well, I do live in Easley.

N2CHX
02-09-2011, 02:43 AM
Here in Buffalo you find Canadian coins all the time. And right now the Canadian dollar is worth virtually the same as an American dollar so I don't see what the big deal is. At the time of this typing, $1.00 Canadian = $1.0066 USD and rising.

kc7jty
02-09-2011, 03:19 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fe/2010_Snowboarding.jpg
It was a Vancouver Olympics jobbie.

W4RLR
02-09-2011, 03:28 AM
Not to worry, we'll probably be spending Ameros (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_currency_union) ten years from now.

KC2UGV
02-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Not to worry, we'll probably be spending Ameros (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_currency_union) ten years from now.

Hopefully...

I got into this discussion at work the other day too. The friend I was talking to is absolutely terrified of the concept of "The United States of Earth"... I can not for any reason see the innate fear of global unification.

W1GUH
02-09-2011, 08:32 AM
If you got to Canada, don't come back with Canadian coins unless you're collecting them. A few years back I tried to exchange them for US Currency & every bank and money-changer I went to told me that nobody does it anymore because it just doesn't pay. Paper money was OK, though.

It adds up when there are $1 and $2 coins.

But, yeah, I remember when in Michigan Canadian coins were totally swappable with US coins. Gave me warm fuzzies about the close friendship between the two nations. Now, that sounds like a sugar-coated memory.

W1GUH
02-09-2011, 08:35 AM
'jty:

...another goofy special edition commemorative until I tried to use it in a vending machine for purified water (it was slightly smaller diameter)...

You actually admit that you waste money of bottled water? Whatever floats your boat.

KC2UGV
02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
'jty:

You actually admit that you waste money of bottled water? Whatever floats your boat.

From a vending machine, so I'm assuming it was for "Not at home use". Could be a couple of legitimate reasons (No water fountain accessible, water there tastes like crap, etc); but I get your point.

I buy bottled water on occasion, but the only brand I buy is SmartWater. Try it. That water was the first one I've ever tasted and said,"You know, this tastes damned good!"

W1GUH
02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
But plain water doesn't have the nutrition of HFCS!

W3MIV
02-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Hopefully...

I got into this discussion at work the other day too. The friend I was talking to is absolutely terrified of the concept of "The United States of Earth"... I can not for any reason see the innate fear of global unification.

Whut the hells mattah with yew, boah? Yew some kinda commonist?

KC2UGV
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
But plain water doesn't have the nutrition of HFCS!

:lol:

Whut the hells mattah with yew, boah? Yew some kinda commonist?

I suppose... ;)

NQ6U
02-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I buy (cheap) bottled water, strictly for drinking, because the water here takes like crap.

kc7jty
02-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Lots of salt & minerals including arsenic in the well water here.

When one world government is formed, since there will be no bad countries, the existing gvt will find it's enemy in the people.
You better get with the program here, this is a big one.

w6tmi
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Hopefully...

State and Federal has a problem running efficiently and you want a government to run "the world"?

<shudder>

kb2vxa
02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
How about a government to run the galaxy?

KG4CGC
02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
The Federation appreciates your happy cooperation.

kc7jty
02-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Anyone who is comfortable with the thought of a world government does not understand the basics of human behavior.
It's like some airhead bich saying:
"Why would anyone want to own a gun, we are protected by a modern police force?"

NQ6U
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Anyone who is comfortable with the thought of a world government does not understand the basics of human behavior.

Exactly! Because the system of warring fiefdoms and duchies and city-states we've had since the end of the Dark Ages has served us all so well.

N7RJD
02-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I buy bottled water on occasion, but the only brand I buy is SmartWater. Try it. That water was the first one I've ever tasted and said,"You know, this tastes damned good!"

Come on now, admit it, you only like SmartWater because Jennifer Anniston told you to in a commercial.

I like what had to be somebody's sense of humor when they came out with Evian. For anyone who doesn't understand my point just spell it backward.

VE7DCW
02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
another goofy special edition commemorative until I tried to use it in a vending machine for purified water (it was slightly smaller diameter)
I was a bit pissed I'd probably have to eat it till I bought a $40 shirt for $6.97 (bargain rack) @ Penny's. The woman cashier had thick glasses. I figured this is my chance.

I sandwiched it between a nickel and dime to cover the price to within 3c using cash.
She looked at it for a second (I figured I was a goner) but put it into the till.
Now some other sap will have to go through the same nightmare.

These GD Canadians come here, dump a quarter or two then go home and brag about it.
(I'm serious about the above sentence too)

"Ah those fuckin Americans are fuckin stupid eh? I unloaded some quarters there last time I visited the place and they just took 'em eh?

This was fun to read.... but actually we're the ones making all the comments when we find American change mixed in with our change back from a dollar :irked:

The first thing I do when I cross the border for a visit is to dump a bucket of Canadian quarters on the unsuspecting U.S. populace in the hopes of bringing it to it's financial knees .....but i'd keep the olympic quarters,they do look kind of cool... :)

W5RB
02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
This was fun to read.... but actually we're the ones making all the comments when we find American change mixed in with our change back from a dollar :irked:

The first thing I do when I cross the border for a visit is to dump a bucket of Canadian quarters on the unsuspecting U.S. populace in the hopes of bringing it to it's financial knees .....but i'd keep the olympic quarters,they do look kind of cool... :)

Got any with those Danish Curling chicks on 'em ?

KG4CGC
02-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Got any with those Danish Curling chicks on 'em ?I wouldn't Google that, if I were you.

KC2UGV
02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
State and Federal has a problem running efficiently and you want a government to run "the world"?

<shudder>

What causes 9/10ths of the world's problems, right down to the city/town/village level?

You look to the issues that cause 9/10ths of our problems, and you'll quickly see why a unified human population will benefit everyone. And, you'll quickly see that most of those inefficiencies are derived through artificial lines in the planet.

It's like some airhead bich saying:
"Why would anyone want to own a gun, we are protected by a modern police force?"

Anyone who fears a unified humanity doesn't understand the majority of our problems are derived from war, international trade, and restriction of labor movement. All problems caused by artificial lines on the planet we call "borders".

The majority of the left over issues could be easily solved, should all of human kind put their full concerted effort towards solving them. Of course, that's impossible, because of artificial lines on this planet called "Borders".

A case in point: There is enough food available to feed everyone on the planet plenty. We can no do that, because of wars between countries, disputed borders, and lack of government structure precluded by non-interference pacts derived from nationalistic aspirations.

How about a government to run the galaxy?

I had this in mind:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/2482051968_302cd29188.jpg

Come on now, admit it, you only like SmartWater because Jennifer Anniston told you to in a commercial.

I like what had to be somebody's sense of humor when they came out with Evian. For anyone who doesn't understand my point just spell it backward.

I never knew she was in a commercial for them. Never seen a commercial for it either :meh: I bought the first bottle because I was out running, and ran out of water. Ducked into a store, and bought the cheapest water on hand (SmartWater). tasted it, and was like,"Damn! That's some good water!".

W1GUH
02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
From a vending machine, so I'm assuming it was for "Not at home use". Could be a couple of legitimate reasons (No water fountain accessible, water there tastes like crap, etc); but I get your point.

Is your tap water that delicious, fresh, and pure Great Lakes water?

KC2UGV
02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Is your tap water that delicious, fresh, and pure Great Lakes water?

Well, filtered, chlorinated, fluorinated, and then out the tap :)

Even though, Lake Erie water aint too bad. I drink it all the time, and as long as you are not near downtown Buffalo, it's fine.

W1GUH
02-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Oh....fluorinated...that's a shame. Destorys your "Purity of Essence." NYC water, too, and probably most water.

KC2UGV
02-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh....fluorinated...that's a shame. Destorys your "Purity of Essence." NYC water, too, and probably most water.

I prefer teeth over Purity of Essence :lol:

W1GUH
02-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Sounds like a wise choice to me.

KG4CGC
02-10-2011, 01:06 PM
SmartWater™ is oxygenated at opposed to carbonated like a soda. A friend of mine asked me why can't we add oxygen to water the same way soda water is carbonated. I explained to him that in order to get the water to hold it the same way, it would become extremely pressurized and thus it would be like releasing a rocket when you remove the cap.
SmartWater™ adds some O2 without pressurizing it ... because you don't HAVE to.

W1GUH
02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Don't get SmartWater any where near your oxygen-free speaker wires.

KG4CGC
02-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Don't get SmartWater any where near your oxygen-free speaker wires.
What oxygen-free speaker wires?

W5RB
02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't Google that, if I were you.

Actually , if you were me , you would . And if you had the money , you'd buy the calendar , too .

KG4CGC
02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Actually , if you were me , you would . And if you had the money , you'd buy the calendar , too .
I didn't see a calendar but the things I did see would make a South Pacific sailor blush.

W3WN
02-10-2011, 01:42 PM
< snip >

I had this in mind:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/2482051968_302cd29188.jpg< snip >
Had to look that one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcab_Confederacy)up.

I'm still not sure if L. Ron was a total whack job, or laughing all the way to the bank. Or both.

KG4CGC
02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Had to look that one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcab_Confederacy)up.

I'm still not sure if L. Ron was a total whack job, or laughing all the way to the bank. Or both.
Hubbard pretty much started Scientology on a bet. Star Wars could have been a better basis to start a religion on because we see the fandom it has created. Hubbard went the full 9 yards after seeing how easy the power of suggestion works on society.

KC2UGV
02-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Hubbard pretty much started Scientology on a bet. Star Wars could have been a better basis to start a religion on because we see the fandom it has created. Hubbard went the full 9 yards after seeing how easy the power of suggestion works on society.

Hell, people created a religion out of Star Wars:
http://www.jedichurch.org/

KG4CGC
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Hell, people created a religion out of Star Wars:
http://www.jedichurch.org/
bEFORE i EVEN LOOK AT THE LINK YET, i ASK YOU, IS THAT CHURCH as crazy as the Hubbard one? Use your own definition of crazy.

KC2UGV
02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
bEFORE i EVEN LOOK AT THE LINK YET, i ASK YOU, IS THAT CHURCH as crazy as the Hubbard one? Use your own definition of crazy.

Not really... More like a sci-fi monastic order :)

W3WN
02-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Does the Jedi Church have to pay George Lucas royalties?

KC2UGV
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Does the Jedi Church have to pay George Lucas royalties?

LucasFilms and LucasArts are pretty good about allowing fan-based materials; as long as no money is made off of it.

KG4CGC
02-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Is midichlorian the same thing as hemoglobin?

NA4BH
02-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Is midichlorian the same thing as hemoglobin?

Only if you use it as the Latin derivative suggests.