PDA

View Full Version : Play Nice, or It Will Cost You

W3WN
02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
From today's FCC Digest:
VINCENT E. AVERSA, JR. Notified Vincent E. Aversa, Jr. of an Apparent Liability for Forfeiture of $20,000 for operating radio transmission equipment without a license on the International Distress, Safety and Calling Channel. Action by: District Director, Tampa Office, South Central Region, Enforcement Bureau. Adopted: 02/07/2011 by NALF. (DA No. 11-232). EB
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-232A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-232A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-232A1.txt (http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-232A1.txt /quote)
Summation: This gentleman was caught using Marine Safety Channel 16 multiple times over a 3 month period... without a license. Most of the recordings of his transmissions indicate that the Coast Guard warned him that he wasn't authorized to use the channel.

And it's going to cost him, pending modification, $20,000.

But the good news... the FCC takes checks, credit cards, or wire transfers.

BTW: There is a licensed amateur named Vincent Aversa, whose address is in Brooklyn. Don't know if there's any relation or not.

N8YX
02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Meanwhile, the antics on Da 'Bowl, Da Sewer (14.275) and selected other frequencies continue unabated and unchallenged...

W3WN
02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Meanwhile, the antics on Da 'Bowl, Da Sewer (14.275) and selected other frequencies continue unabated and unchallenged...
Who do you think has more pull at the FCC, the Coast Guard, or several thousand irritated citizens who happen to hold amateur radio licenses? /rhetorical question

I am very disappointed in Laura. The gains Riley made are being eroded every day and then some.

w3bny
02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
The gains Riley made are being eroded every day and then some.

And those gains were what again? Not like he was kickin in doors on freebanders or sending APC's to raid keydowns every weekend.

X-Rated
02-08-2011, 02:29 PM
And those gains were what again? Not like he was kickin in doors on freebanders or sending APC's to raid keydowns every weekend.

He was photogenic. I really liked his pictures in some journals and magazines. Um. He operated from time to time. Yeah. And he went to hamfests. That was way cool.

w3bny
02-08-2011, 02:30 PM
He was photogenic. I really liked his pictures in some journals and magazines. Um. He operated from time to time. Yeah. And he went to hamfests. That was way cool.

That's what I thought.

W3WN
02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Most of them were subtle. But a lot of people jamming repeaters stopped, jamming nets were tracked down and stopped, and so forth. Sadly, Baxter had the resources to get his legal people to stretch things out. & what's his face up in BC is out of the FCC"s jurisdiction, and IC doesn't seem to care.

I know from personal experience dealing with Riley that he was very meticulous. You did have to have your facts right and your ducks lined up -- his resources were limited (he gave a damn, the FCC, well... doesn't) and he tried to use them to maximum effect. But if you made your case, you got results. Look up N3SH in the ARRL News or Amateur Radio Newsline archives, circa February/March 1999, and you'll see what I mean.

He was also more than fair. He was willing to be harsher on Lentz and Mounts if we wanted to be, but I thought it best to settle for the stiff warning -- and both barrels if they ever tried that stunt again. They didn't. The publicity at the time may have helped disuade them as well, but that came as complete surprise to us.

Were they big gains? No. But 20 years of neglect means it may take as long to clean things up. Riley started. What has Laura done?

w3bny
02-08-2011, 02:36 PM
And subtle is the subtle way of saying ineffective and non-functioning. Remind me again how long did it take him to shut up Gerrison or whatever that dipweeds name was?

N8YX
02-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Riley started. What has Laura done?
Now that Riley has moved on to greener pastures, I would love to see ex-WB2OTK and his few remaining antagonists rejoin each other on the airwaves. Lulz for all, to be sure.

w3bny
02-08-2011, 02:41 PM
And again, with the blatant advertisement of a keydown and no one showing up to do a raid tells me that no one gives a poop! Like me saying Im going to rob the xyz bank at this time on this date, dare the Fed/Local LEO's to bust me then they dont show up when Im there doing the deed.

KC2UGV
02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Most of them were subtle. But a lot of people jamming repeaters stopped, jamming nets were tracked down and stopped, and so forth. Sadly, Baxter had the resources to get his legal people to stretch things out. & what's his face up in BC is out of the FCC"s jurisdiction, and IC doesn't seem to care.

I know from personal experience dealing with Riley that he was very meticulous. You did have to have your facts right and your ducks lined up -- his resources were limited (he gave a damn, the FCC, well... doesn't) and he tried to use them to maximum effect. But if you made your case, you got results. Look up N3SH in the ARRL News or Amateur Radio Newsline archives, circa February/March 1999, and you'll see what I mean.

He was also more than fair. He was willing to be harsher on Lentz and Mounts if we wanted to be, but I thought it best to settle for the stiff warning -- and both barrels if they ever tried that stunt again. They didn't. The publicity at the time may have helped disuade them as well, but that came as complete surprise to us.

Were they big gains? No. But 20 years of neglect means it may take as long to clean things up. Riley started. What has Laura done?

A lot, really:
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html

It's like people asking "Well, what has Obama done?" Easy to find, should one look.

w3bny
02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
OOOH...a warning for fooking with the century club. "and if you keep doing it...we may do something...mean...or give you and Indian burn...on your pee-pee"

W3WN
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I only see 25 posted RFI actions in 2010. Some of them (like the letters to Allegheny Power) are routine form letters that basically say "hey utility, you didn't answer us, you'd better". Quite a few more warning letters, I'll grant you that, alhough some are for unlicensed operation (including CB and other radio services).

Now I'm not saying that those are unimportant; they are. And I know that there are allegedly many more that for one reason or another don't get posted publicly.

So what happens next? Are we to believe that ALL of these people were either innocent, or saw the error of their ways and stopped doing whatever it was that they were doing?

It may not be her fault, we don't know what the internal politics in the FCC are. But consider: one of the biggest complaints about Riley was that he allegedly a "publicity hound" or something like that, because a lot of what he did got publicized. You didn't have to go digging for it. And people noticed and talked about it, which does have an effect (how much I'm not sure I can quantify).

So does Laura Smith like keeping things on the QT or what?

All I can tell you is that I've noticed more jamming, more bad operating, more rough language and bad attitude, and so forth on the bands (esp. 20 and 75 meter phone) since Riley left. What's it going to take to get this cleaned up?

w3bny
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
What's it going to take to get this cleaned up?

Short list follows...

Funding
Agents
Someone with a set of brass bawls.
Couple of hard pipe hittin...agents...to go to work on the keydown holmes with a pair of cable cutters and some t-pins. Then prosecute to the fullest extent of the USC
????
Profit!

actually 1~3 and a bit of 4. If she gets agents to start doing the iron boot door opener and setting up a stand at a Keydown and confiscating radios and issual NAL's like they are Easter Eggs (Lapin union...had to do it). Then folks will get the idea that she (or whoever has the title) aint fooking around and I gotta keep my junk wired tight. Rah-men?

W3WN
02-08-2011, 03:16 PM
#2 is derived from #1. Will the FCC properly fund enforcement? I think we already know the answer.

With funding, #3 becomes irrelevant. What good is Eliott Ness when there are no Untouchables or other federal agents (and DA's and judges and...) to back him up?

KC2UGV
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
What's it going to take to get this cleaned up?

Less of this from the FCC board:

"When I asked what are the priorities of the FCC this fiscal year, I was told the following:

1) DTV transition.
2) DTV transition.
3) DTV transition." - (I forgot who from the FCC said this at 2007's Dayton Hamvention. I have the recording, just not handy)

And a whole lot less of this:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=defund+the+government#q=smaller+government&hl=en&prmd=ivnsu&source=lnms&tbs=nws:1&ei=1aRRTcChBYfKgQfAqdzdCA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CBIQ_AUoAw&fp=56055d59b0b53b04

w3bny
02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Less of this from the FCC board:

"When I asked what are the priorities of the FCC this fiscal year, I was told the following:

1) DTV transition...

DTV Transition=$$$ Amateur radio enforcement=yawn...do I gotta work?

W5RB
02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm about to test the system . It came to my attention recently that a local radio op , a licensed ham , but better known as a Super Bowl icon , renewed his license in 2008 . Problem bein' , he died in '07 . Further study shows that the renewal was done thru W5YI , and the "Date of Birth changed" at that time . Dunno who's bootlegging the call , but I'm about to forward the basic documentation . At a minimum , they should cancel the license . Beyond that , they could prosecute the fraud , and find out who the hell at FCC thought it was a good idea to edit a birthdate , and on what backstory . I wonder if his Heliax-fed antenna is still up . Might hafta drive by and send pix along with the obit.

w3bny
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm about to test the system . It came to my attention recently that a local radio op , a licensed ham , but better known as a Super Bowl icon , renewed his license in 2008 . Problem bein' , he died in '07 . Further study shows that the renewal was done thru W5YI , and the "Date of Birth changed" at that time . Dunno who's bootlegging the call , but I'm about to forward the basic documentation . At a minimum , they should cancel the license . Beyond that , they could prosecute the fraud , and find out who the hell at FCC thought it was a good idea to edit a birthdate , and on what backstory . I wonder if his Heliax-fed antenna is still up . Might hafta drive by and send pix along with the obit.

You would be better served if you sent along the copy of the death certificate. You should be able to get a copy without much hassle from the health department. Or better yet. Call them and tell them that OM done went SK.

W3WN
02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Good luck.

I've periodically reported on a known false club assignment. Look up W3AC. Then try and look the club up; you'll notice that their web site has vanished. That's only because the Western PA DX Association disbanded about, oh, 6 -7 years ago. At least, I'd have to go look the date up. Further, the trustee was not and never was a member of the club. So how can a ham who lives west of Cleveland be the trustee for a club that not only was he never a member of, but that has ceased to exist?

Riley delegated it to his staff, right before he announced his retirement. Nothing. I've reported it to Laura Smith. Nothing.

w3bny
02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Riley delegated it to his staff, right before he announced his retirement. Nothing. I've reported it to Laura Smith. Nothing.

In short....Toothless, lame tiger is... toothless and LAME

X-Rated
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Good luck.

I've periodically reported on a known false club assignment. Look up W3AC. Then try and look the club up; you'll notice that their web site has vanished. That's only because the Western PA DX Association disbanded about, oh, 6 -7 years ago. At least, I'd have to go look the date up. Further, the trustee was not and never was a member of the club. So how can a ham who lives west of Cleveland be the trustee for a club that not only was he never a member of, but that has ceased to exist?

So let's assume you are Laura's boss. What do you want her to do? Did you provide all the paperwork depicting the situation? Do you have the paperwork on the disbandment? Do you have the club annual rosters showing that the trustee never was a member? Have you spoon fed everything to Laura that she needs to take care of this situation as you said one would have had to do with Hollingsworth?

W3WN
02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
So let's assume you are Laura's boss. What do you want her to do? Did you provide all the paperwork depicting the situation? Do you have the paperwork on the disbandment? Do you have the club annual rosters showing that the trustee never was a member? Have you spoon fed everything to Laura that she needs to take care of this situation as you said one would have had to do with Hollingsworth?
In a word: Yes. The announcment of the disbandment of the club & "final" rosters were submitted at the time.

BTW, if you look up the history of the call holder (AE7Q's site is great for that, as is Vanity HQ) you'll see that at one time, he held over 25 club calls... and some of the clubs were, ah, shall we say... as vaporous as clouds?

Now I'll admit that I took this one a little personally. I'd been a member of WPaDXA on and off for years. What tripped me on this situation was a complaint by a certain K6 (now K7ACZ) who was griping heavily, and being quite nasty about it, on certain sites about how DARE some WPA club snatch up the 1x2 that he wanted [he also claimed at the time it had belonged to a SK relative, a claim he later recanted] when they already had several? Since I knew that the club had never held any club call at all -- never -- I found that claim rather curious. Of course, when I told 'ACZ what I found out, he went ballistic on me, but that's another story as well.

Suffice to say, I didn't care to see a good organization smeared by a jackass because of the actions of a different jackass.

But, nothing was done.

W5RB
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
You would be better served if you sent along the copy of the death certificate. You should be able to get a copy without much hassle from the health department. Or better yet. Call them and tell them that OM done went SK.

Nah , Mississippi is particular who they dish out death certificates to . I'll email the newspaper obit , the SSDI listing , and a link to the ULS pages pertaining to it , and a summary of what I know in one paragraph . Based on that , they should send a letter to the licensee , asking what's up . it could get interesting , depending on what the reply says .

KJ3N
02-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Short list follows...

Funding

Pester your Congress Critters. They hold the purse strings.

Agents

As Ron said, see #1.

The FCC gets a budget from Congress. They have to decide what gets priority, based on the funds available and who has the most money (political pull).

650K+ hams do not have pull. The companies backing cable, TV, and cellphones have pull.

The fees and fines that the FCC collects go into the General Fund, not the FCC. They don't get to keep squat. In order to get the level of enforcement you want, you'll have to get Congress to change the law and let the FCC keep what they collect.

Until that happens, nothing will change. Get used to it, or work to change it. Good luck.

I'm waiting for the day the TeaPublicans try to disband the FCC in their zeal to eliminate all forms of government because government is bad, you know. :roll:

X-Rated
02-08-2011, 04:36 PM
In a word: Yes. The announcment of the disbandment of the club & "final" rosters were submitted at the time.

BTW, if you look up the history of the call holder (AE7Q's site is great for that, as is Vanity HQ) you'll see that at one time, he held over 25 club calls... and some of the clubs were, ah, shall we say... as vaporous as clouds?

Now I'll admit that I took this one a little personally. I'd been a member of WPaDXA on and off for years. What tripped me on this situation was a complaint by a certain K6 (now K7ACZ) who was griping heavily, and being quite nasty about it, on certain sites about how DARE some WPA club snatch up the 1x2 that he wanted [he also claimed at the time it had belonged to a SK relative, a claim he later recanted] when they already had several? Since I knew that the club had never held any club call at all -- never -- I found that claim rather curious. Of course, when I told 'ACZ what I found out, he went ballistic on me, but that's another story as well.

Suffice to say, I didn't care to see a good organization smeared by a jackass because of the actions of a different jackass.

But, nothing was done.

I don't see that there is anything to do here. If you want the call sign, make your case to the FCC and show your documentation that the club is defunct. If you don't want the call, leave it for someone else to take. I don't see what an enforcement office can do here. Give your data to someone you like and the FCC will probably yank the call from the Ohio guy and give it to someone else. I have line noise getting so bad at my house, I can hardly hear S8 signals. I am hardly worried about someone coveting a call sign.

KA5PIU
02-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Hello.

The FCC can do little, they are not law enforcement.
With that said.
"From: Laura Smith
Date: September 29,2010 8:54:53AM CDT
To: Russ Flowers, t Caldwell, g sheets
Subject: Re: lack of enforcement in ham radio.
Gentlemen: This back and forth serves no purpose. You are all attempting to involve the FCC in what is tantamount to a private dispute between various amateur radio factions within the San Antonio area. Indeed, it is my understanding that this situation has escalated to the point that one of you,(Russell Flowers) is currently engaged in an ongoing criminal matter with one of the individuals on the other side of this dispute. The FCC is not here to mediate your personal disputes. I will reiterate what my predecessor told all of you back in 2006; the Commission is not concerned with the merits, or lack thereof, of any dispute between you or of how you settle such disputes. But, continued use of the amateur radio frequencies to carry on your personal vendettas against one another is contrary to Section 97.1 of the Commission’s rules and could lead to possible enforcement actions against the licenses of all the parties involved. I have tried repeatedly, much like Riley did, to resolve this matter informally to no avail.
You all have been fighting since 2003 and show no signs of resolving the matter or moving on. So, consider yourselves all warned! Continued incidents on either side on the amateur frequencies will subject you to possible enforcement actions. Just spin the dial and stay away from one another going forward.
Laura L. Smith, Esq.| Special Counsel | Enforcement Bureau | Federal Communications Commission | 1270 Fairfield Road , Gettysburg , PA 17325"

"WHICH IS WHY IT IS NOW IN THE HANDS OF TWO CONGRESSMEN"

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/san-antonio-tx/T994OD0HBIR8QDRGL/p87

If you do your research you will find that this has been going on for years!
"As long as it was only in the ham bands there was not much of a problem, but it has crossed the line".
This was in reference to someone retransmitting 146.52MHz to "Frequencies in the 420 MHz range", actually 410MHz and below.
All MHz.
No one really cares as long as it is kept in the sand(cat)box.
Once it has "crossed the line" there is trouble.

ki4itv
02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
That notice of forfeiture was kinda odd looking to me at first glance.
You don't need a license (as a recreational boater) to operate on channel 16 or any VHF/UHF marine channels.

The only thing I can think of is that he was on land at the time of the transmissions. So they considered him a "ship to shore" station.
Bummer for him.
Shore stations do require a license.

KA5PIU
02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
You don't need a license (as a recreational boater) to operate on channel 16 or any VHF/UHF marine channels.

The only thing I can think of is that he was on land at the time of the transmissions. So they considered him a "ship to shore" station.
Bummer for him.
Shore stations do require a license.

Hello.

Yes, read the complaint, he was in his car.

W4RLR
02-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Bummer for him.
Shore stations do require a license.Yes, shore stations do require a license. But I cannot seem to convince the masters of disaster in my county that the VHF rig they've installed in the new EOC requires a license, as they state it will be used "for emergency communication with the Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife only".

KA5PIU
02-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Yes, shore stations do require a license. But I cannot seem to convince the masters of disaster in my county that the VHF rig they've installed in the new EOC requires a license, as they state it will be used "for emergency communication with the Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife only".

Hello.

Reread the rules.
An RR is NOT needed to operate the following:
Shore radar, shore radiolocation, maritime support, marine utility, or shore radionavigation stations.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=rr
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part80.pdf
In short, there is no license to be issued.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=ship_stations
You must meet the requirements to apply for a station license.
My prior Marine license was WRN7425.
At time of renewal I was advised that I did not need a license to operate and due to the nature of my operation I now fall under NTIA regulations.
In short, your EM guys are right.

suddenseer
02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
In short....Toothless, lame tiger is... toothless and LAMEWow, mista BUNNEH stop holding back tell us what you really think.

W3WN
02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't see that there is anything to do here. If you want the call sign, make your case to the FCC and show your documentation that the club is defunct. If you don't want the call, leave it for someone else to take. I don't see what an enforcement office can do here. Give your data to someone you like and the FCC will probably yank the call from the Ohio guy and give it to someone else. I have line noise getting so bad at my house, I can hardly hear S8 signals. I am hardly worried about someone coveting a call sign.Simple. Fraud is fraud and should not be countenanced.

Further, because of said fraud, an innocent organization was smeared by someone who was unable to get what he wanted.

Me? I don't want the call. I'm happy with what I have.

WV6Z
02-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Now that Riley has moved on to greener pastures, I would love to see ex-WB2OTK and his few remaining antagonists rejoin each other on the airwaves. Lulz for all, to be sure.

It was great fun listening to that retarded piece of shit do cool things, like use an old cordless phone set to crossband 75 meters with. Seriously though, I think I am going to adopt Charles and his family right quick. What with mentions of invoking OTK (an Easley, SC resident) and now there is that piece of shit that dropped her new youngun off in the loo at Bi-Lo Center in Greenville, SC before she took her crack smoking ass home to Easley, SC, I'm starting to get worried about our little buddy and his tribe.

W4RLR
02-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Hello.

Reread the rules.
An RR is NOT needed to operate the following:
Shore radar, shore radiolocation, maritime support, marine utility, or shore radionavigation stations.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=rr
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2009-title47-vol5/pdf/CFR-2009-title47-vol5-part80.pdf
In short, there is no license to be issued.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=licensing&id=ship_stations
You must meet the requirements to apply for a station license.
My prior Marine license was WRN7425.
At time of renewal I was advised that I did not need a license to operate and due to the nature of my operation I now fall under NTIA regulations.
In short, your EM guys are right.Nope. I'm not talking about a personal Restricted Radiotelephone Operators ticket. I'm talking about the actual station equipment that is based at the EOC. While VHF marine band operations on vessels carrying less than 16 passengers is voluntary, SHORE operations must be licensed. Check out FCC Form 601G and Part 80 of FCC Rules. The feds nailed the local yacht club last year for not renewing their shore station license.

N8YX
02-09-2011, 05:15 AM
PM me the guy's handle. I'm curious...as I hear a LOT of the southwest during Es events.

KA5PIU
02-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Hello.

I posted 47CFR80.
Just like the Aviation band, it is Military primary.
This puts some stations under the authority of the NTIA and not the FCC.
If the primary purpose is to communicate only in an emergency and/or communicate with government stations, there is NO station license.
Again, there is no station license that the FCC can grant for such operation.
There is no longer the Special Emergency Radio Service.
There is no longer the Civil Air Patrol Radio Service.
There is no longer a Disaster Radio Service.
There is no longer a Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service.
This is now all under the authority of the NTIA.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/
A private group operating a shore station is required to have a license.
A coast guard auxiliary group is not required to have a station license as they are under the NTIA and not the FCC.
A local police department is required to have a station license.
The FBI is not required to have a station license.
If operations are done under FEMA as part of EM, no station license is required.
In fact, I was told that if I operate a government transmitter I am prohibited from using an FCC callsign, one of the reasons that Amateur Radio is prohibited by federal law on government aircraft, to include civil air patrol.
Government employees who operate government owned vehicles are likewise prohibited.
Yet I can operate a "CB", with whatever equipment I want, no callsign required.
FT-897?, call it a CB and everything is fine, but NO callsigns.
I know, it sounds insane, but that really is the way it is.
Call the FCC up, they will tell you the same thing.

n6hcm
02-09-2011, 05:54 AM
A lot, really:
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html

It's like people asking "Well, what has Obama done?" Easy to find, should one look.

annoying question: why are ham operator's addresses public information, but the addresses of scofflaws are handily excised from the enforcement letters?

ki4itv
02-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Nope. I'm not talking about a personal Restricted Radiotelephone Operators ticket. I'm talking about the actual station equipment that is based at the EOC. While VHF marine band operations on vessels carrying less than 16 passengers is voluntary, SHORE operations must be licensed. Check out FCC Form 601G and Part 80 of FCC Rules. The feds nailed the local yacht club last year for not renewing their shore station license.

This is probably one of the main reasons that 14.300 (as it is used) creates so much division between mariners and typical amateurs. If you think about it, the use of amateur radio is the easiest, cheapest, and sometimes the only legal way a sailing vessel can pass messages to interested/organized shore stations when out of reach of commercial services.
Yeah, I just said that.

KC2UGV
02-09-2011, 07:31 AM
annoying question: why are ham operator's addresses public information, but the addresses of scofflaws are handily excised from the enforcement letters?

Because "scofflaws" are not really scofflaws until a jury of their peers rules such (Or a judge). You volunteered your address to be public record when you signed the licenses application.

NALs almost never involve a judge. Or a court. Really, to get down in the dirt, you don't have to pay a dime until the FCC takes it to court, and a judgment is rendered (IANAL, and all that).

KC2UGV
02-09-2011, 07:33 AM
This is probably one of the main reasons that 14.300 (as it is used) creates so much division between mariners and typical amateurs. If you think about it, the use of amateur radio is the easiest, cheapest, and sometimes the only legal way a sailing vessel can pass messages to interested/organized shore stations when out of reach of commercial services.
Yeah, I just said that.

It is never the easiest, cheapest, or only legal way.

Iridium phones are $200, and calls are $0.99 a minute. Far less than a ham rig + license fee.

ki4itv
02-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Good point. I'll feel better about my marina tirades again.
Didn't really think they had become so inexpensive. I quit keeping up with the times, ohhh, about 15 years ago.
My point was that it was actually the FCC that unintentionally set up amateur radio as the back-up plan for traveling mariners with their ship to shore rules and licensing.

N8YX
02-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I just said that.
I cannot see a maritime HF license for a vessel running into the thousands (or even the hundreds) of dollars. And the rig? You bet your jolly a$$, Roger, that if I'm on the high seas I want something that is built to take a corrosive maritime environment...which no consumer-grade amateur radio equipment is. Yes, it's going to be slightly more expensive but my life and safety is worth it.

The cost of an SCS-III modem is $1500, regardless if it's used in the maritime radio or the amateur radio services. And SailMail versus Winlink? Oh...the nasty little bandwidth cap thingy rears its ugly head. And THAT, Gentle Readers, is the crux of the matter: The masterboaters want to bypass the commercial services and use amateur radio as their unlimited-bandwidth ISP.

If Laura Smith does anything at all while in office, I would love to see her agency investigate the traffic which is being passed in and out of certain servers...

N8YX
02-09-2011, 07:57 AM
My point was that it was actually the FCC that unintentionally set up amateur radio as the back-up plan for traveling mariners with their ship to shore rules and licensing.
The FCC needs to clarify this point, and official commentary from a certain N2 who is an active Coast Guard officer would go a long way in quelling the bullspit.

W3MIV
02-09-2011, 07:57 AM
The state of enforcement reflects accurately the state of modern-day amateur radio. High-frequency RF is a has-been in so far as commo is concerned, and the state of our bands (including CB) reflects its relative value vis a vis reality in today's world of multiplex communications that are far more reliable across far larger spectrum and over a far larger time slice in any given period.

Like it or not, we occupy a sort of sandbox, or perhaps better stated, a sort of cat-box in which we are relatively free to shit where we eat without causing too much trouble for real-world commo needs. The referenced marine-band (channel sixteen) violation is an example of a smack-down of one cat who wandered off the reservation. Peeing on each others' paws is acceptable to the powers because it is both cheaper and easier for them to maintain order where it is important.

W3WN
02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
< snip >
The cost of an SCS-III modem is $1500, regardless if it's used in the maritime radio or the amateur radio services. And SailMail versus Winlink? Oh...the nasty little bandwidth cap thingy rears its ugly head. And THAT, Gentle Readers, is the crux of the matter: The masterboaters want to bypass the commercial services and use amateur radio as their unlimited-bandwidth ISP.
< snip >
Exactly. The problem is the misuse of the bands and the misuse of the technology.

This is where I have a beef with Chuckles. His solution is to ban Winlink. But the problem isn't the technology itself, it's the fact that it IS being misused. Ban Winlink, even if it were possible to stuff that genie back into the bottle, and the abusers/misusers will come up with another scheme.

There is nothing the FCC can do about offshore boaters and servers. But misuser/abuser who is on any boat operating in US territorial waters, and any server based on land in US territory? Shut 'em down.

w3bny
02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
It is never the easiest, cheapest, or only legal way.

Iridium phones are $200, and calls are $0.99 a minute. Far less than a ham rig + license fee.

I dont know what back end of an 18 wheeler/dark underpass on the interstate you are buying your iridium phones at but a quick google lookie has the cheepest at around 495 bucks (refurb bottom of the line phone) and the average price at about 800+ bucks to about 1,500 bucks PLUS. and yes you can get 99 cents a minute or even 84 cents a minute...provided you buy a 4,200 dollar phone card. (2,970 bucks for 99cents a minute and 4.2k for 84 cents)....and even they dont last long looking at the fee table. just sayin.

ki4itv
02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I cannot see a maritime HF license for a vessel running into the thousands (or even the hundreds) of dollars. And the rig? You bet your jolly a$$, Roger, that if I'm on the high seas I want something that is built to take a corrosive maritime environment...which no consumer-grade amateur radio equipment is. Yes, it's going to be slightly more expensive but my life and safety is worth it.

If Laura Smith does anything at all while in office, I would love to see her agency investigate the traffic which is being passed in and out of certain servers...

You and I clearly see eye to eye on this topic. With the exception that I see it more as a matter of convenience being half-heartedly disguised as a need for secondary emergency communications. Most of the people using these systems are not blue water sailors. They are cruising tourist that are very rarely, if ever, in any real danger needing long distance communications.

Check this out. It is from this source: ©2004 The Trouser Rollers. All rights reserved. (http://www.callipygia600.com/callnugget/allcruising/rxchron.htm#four)
-a very common type of wisdom sharing website in the cruising sub-culture

Pay particularly close attention to this statement.

At the SSCA meeting in Melbourne (November, 2001) we attended a daylong seminar put on by the Winlink development team and spoke to a representative of Sailmail. Winlink and Sailmail are close cousins. They are e-mail systems for cruisers using the amateur (ham) and marine frequencies respectively.(emphasis added)

The differences between Sailmail and Winlink were:

1. Winlink users need to have a General Class ham radio license, however no license beyond the Ship Station license is needed to use Sailmail;
2. There is an annual fee to use Sailmail, no fee for Winlink;
3. Because Sailmail uses marine frequencies, business transactions may be conducted through it unlike with Winlink where no business may be conducted because it uses the Amateur frequences;
4. Winlink users are allocated 30 minutes per day through each PMBO (radio station in the Winlink network) but Sailmail users are limited to 10 minutes per day total;
5. Winlink users can receive by e-mail a wide range of weather forecasts and charts, and while it is possible to get some weather information through Sailmail, this is much more limited;
6. Winlink users can automatically update their position in the Winlink website so that family and friends to track their movements; and
7. It is simple to send and retrieve Winlink e-mails over the Internet using the Telnet feature of Airmail if you leave the boat for a while.

- this same type of information is repeated endlessly throughout the RV and Sailing sites on the internet. It is a growing problem that needs to be abated as soon as possible. Much of the traffic almost has to be commercial in nature and it's very presence on the amateur bands makes it unlawful with regard to the circumventing a commercial service, pecuniary interest, and amateur to amateur communication rules.

Note the wink and nod to conducting business over AR. All ass shield right there. At least this couple knows the rules.

...and I'll stop before I even get started good.

W3MIV
02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
I dont know what back end of an 18 wheeler/dark underpass on the interstate you are buying your iridium phones at but a quick google lookie has the cheepest at around 495 bucks (refurb bottom of the line phone) and the average price at about 800+ bucks to about 1,500 bucks PLUS. and yes you can get 99 cents a minute or even 84 cents a minute...provided you buy a 4,200 dollar phone card. (2,970 bucks for 99cents a minute and 4.2k for 84 cents)....and even they dont last long looking at the fee table. just sayin.

I know some folks in P'stan who'll get you one for free. 'Course it'll cost you a favor or two.

n2ize
02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
The FCC's ultimate solution. "If you don't like what's going on you can simply find another hobby. You might consider bird watching or basket weaving" :-D:-D

W1GUH
02-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Stamp collecting used to be the recommendation.

KC2UGV
02-09-2011, 11:02 AM

You can find them used on fleabay for about $200 or so. And, you can get an AT&T phone card, and use that on an unactivated phone. And, your phone card gets billed at about $0.99/minute (I've used Iridiums extensively, and the AT&T cards for 100 minutes = $5 = 4.9 minutes or so of talk time on an Iridium).