PDA

View Full Version : Tibet and Timothy Hutton

X-Rated
02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
This commercial is not a great commercial, but it has been the attitude towards Tibet and China for years anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXGYK1eP_wo

What is the big hoopla about? Why is everybody's panties in a wad over this? What proposal is there other than enjoying the food for us anyway?

w3bny
02-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Eww...its tibetian food...with yak milk and what not.

W3WN
02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
But how are the snow cones?

W3WN
02-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Seriously, I think the "shock" or "twist" that they were looking for was the spot starting off appearing to be another appeal towards freedom for Tibet, and suddenly morphing into how a coupon let Hutton and 20 friends enjoy the cusine at a restaurant.

It didn't work for me.

Now, the kid in the Darth Vader outfit -- THAT was a clever spot.

X-Rated
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Seriously, I think the "shock" or "twist" that they were looking for was the spot starting off appearing to be another appeal towards freedom for Tibet, and suddenly morphing into how a coupon let Hutton and 20 friends enjoy the cusine at a restaurant.

It didn't work for me.

Now, the kid in the Darth Vader outfit -- THAT was a clever spot.

To me, Hutton epitomized the American attitude about Tibet. Yes, they are suffering. Yes we feel bad about it, but hell. Dinner is ready and I am starved for a good meal.

W3WN
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
To me, Hutton epitomized the American attitude about Tibet. Yes, they are suffering. Yes we feel bad about it, but hell. Dinner is ready and I am starved for a good meal.
While I'm not sure I'd go quite THAT far... I'm afraid that your overall point is on target.

X-Rated
02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
While I'm not sure I'd go quite THAT far... I'm afraid that your overall point is on target.

To be honest, there is nothing that can be done about the atrocities in Tibet today. The Chinese are too embedded in the Tibetan landscape and culture. The time to act is long past.

W3WN
02-08-2011, 02:21 PM
To be honest, there is nothing that can be done about the atrocities in Tibet today. The Chinese are too embedded in the Tibetan landscape and culture. The time to act is long past.
Sad to say, but I think you're probably right. It will take a hell of a lot to remove Imperial China from Tibet today, and since (even sadder to say) no one gives a damn except the Tibetans, the Dalai Lama, and Gracie Lu Freebush... not going to happen.

Which doesn't change my opinion that in trying to be clever, Groupon proved to be tasteless. But I think we already hacked that one around (being tasteless, that is) in a different thread today.

KG4CGC
02-08-2011, 07:00 PM
There is one Tibetan village that will not allow visitors to enter until they have consumed three horns of wine.

n4aud
02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Cow horns or goat horns?

KG4CGC
02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking ox.

NQ6U
02-08-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm thinking ox.

Water buffalo.