PDA

View Full Version : how odd ... new requirement for local club president

n6hcm
02-08-2011, 04:09 AM
president must be at least a general-class licensee now (http://www.sfarc.org/SFARCBYLAWS1993.htm)

i'm remiss--i don't go to the club meetings because they're on friday evenings and don't end early ... mass transit stops to this part of town by the time the meeting ends and i don't drive ... but it seems odd to only require this of the president (given what's spelt out in the bylaws, the president doesn't really do much). i guess i'm surprised they don't require this of the entire board (entirely possible with this club afaik).

N8YX
02-08-2011, 08:49 AM
What was the rationale behind this decision - some eeebil Technician gonna co-opt the club repeater?

W3WN
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Once upon a time, many clubs required at least a General for the officers... because Novice tickets weren't permanent, and Technicians were V/UHF only, and thus not considered "real" of "full fledged" hams. (A crock of moose tacos, of course, but that's what they thought)

One would think that the club trustee would have to be an Extra since the club call is a 1x2 -- although I'm not sure that that's an FCC requirement anymore (so long as the call is operated either within the parameters of the trustee's license or the operator's license, whichever is greater). So if the president is also the trustee, I can see it.

But today? Without a good reason (and "because we've always done it that way" is not a good reason) I don't see it.

X-Rated
02-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Once upon a time, many clubs required at least a General for the officers... because Novice tickets weren't permanent, and Technicians were V/UHF only, and thus not considered "real" of "full fledged" hams. (A crock of moose tacos, of course, but that's what they thought)

One would think that the club trustee would have to be an Extra since the club call is a 1x2 -- although I'm not sure that that's an FCC requirement anymore (so long as the call is operated either within the parameters of the trustee's license or the operator's license, whichever is greater). So if the president is also the trustee, I can see it.

But today? Without a good reason (and "because we've always done it that way" is not a good reason) I don't see it.

Also, I don't think the FCC ever administered a Novice exam. When I got into the hobby in the mid '70's the Novice and Tech tickets could be administered by a General or above. General and above were all administered by the FCC except for the "Conditional" license. But Novice, Tech and Conditional weren't really "real" hams until they get an FCC administered license exam.

n6hcm
02-09-2011, 06:03 AM
So if the president is also the trustee, I can see it.

except that he's not--there's a separate trustee.

they have a pretty smokin' station for a place in an urban environment. too bad they don't get to use it much.

N9FE
02-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Whats with the "secret" ballot bullshit. Gimme a break hey. There ain't enough people in these clubs as it is, And there doing this crapola. This club will soon go down the crapper as with all the rest of the secret handshake amatuer clubs have.

WV6Z
02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/wv6z/ham-radio-serious-business.jpg

N7YA
02-10-2011, 02:01 AM
I remember when it was hard to find a club president that wasnt an extra, i guess it denotes the president has "earned their stripes". More along the lines of the prez being able to elmer newcomers to the hobby, and that would reflect well on the club. But i know lots of techs and "tech lites" who can teach circles around many old school extras, including myself.

I could be wrong here, but i think the post should be held by the person who is best for the job. The ham who has a sincere love of the hobby and a sense of urgency for the success of the club. A person who is trustworthy and has the respect, and votes, of the club membership. A person with some leadership skills. A person with ideas. Basically, any of these qualities would be a great start, and the bigger the club, the more of these qualities the better.

A general class ticket or higher is not needed to attain these attributes, it sounds like a few folks are not comfortable with change.

W3WN
02-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I remember when it was hard to find a club president that wasnt an extra, i guess it denotes the president has "earned their stripes". More along the lines of the prez being able to elmer newcomers to the hobby, and that would reflect well on the club. But i know lots of techs and "tech lites" who can teach circles around many old school extras, including myself.

I could be wrong here, but i think the post should be held by the person who is best for the job. The ham who has a sincere love of the hobby and a sense of urgency for the success of the club. A person who is trustworthy and has the respect, and votes, of the club membership. A person with some leadership skills. A person with ideas. Basically, any of these qualities would be a great start, and the bigger the club, the more of these qualities the better.

A general class ticket or higher is not needed to attain these attributes, it sounds like a few folks are not comfortable with change.
It appears that those bylaws were last updated in 1993. No tweaking in 18 years? Well, maybe the last editor(s) didn't update the dates.

In years past (but not today) holding an Extra usually indicated "time in grade" -- experience.

I do not believe that license class indicates an ability to be a leader. Someone may be the most gifted technical or operating ham around, but a total spastic when it comes to conducting a business meeting or taking charge and getting things done.

Many club officers were Extra's because it took time to learn enough to earn the ticket. (And at one time, you had to have held a lower license class for, IIRC, 2 years before you could even take the Amateur Extra test). Which often meant that they'd also been members of the club for awhile, and everyone was comfortable with them.

Today? It's now so relatively easy to earn an Extra that the license itself may not indicate anything about experience as a licensed amateur. (And no Cracker Jack (r) wise cracks, please) That is not an indictment of the operator -- they take the test that's available -- but of the system.

All that aside... to often, a club officer has won a popularity contest to get the job. Or no one else wanted it. Neither are good reasons to elect someone (well, unless the officer has done such a good job that no one wants to run against him), but it happens in every organization.

So if your club is having trouble getting a qualified person with leadership skills and ability to run for office, with the exception of a position like Trustee where it WOULD be important, why let the license class (or lack of a particular license class) that that person holds today be an impediment to electing them to a leadership post? There are many more important considerations!

n6hcm
02-11-2011, 05:13 AM
It appears that those bylaws were last updated in 1993. No tweaking in 18 years? Well, maybe the last editor(s) didn't update the dates.

the two amendments at the top are the topic of the discussion. the document beneath is the bylaws as they exist now (that is, they haven't been tweaked because there's not really a lot there).

KA5PIU
02-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Hello.

I went to the Radio Operators Of South Texas club and pretty much gave up on clubs.
http://www.w5ros.org/
They have a policy on the pledge of allegiance, while playing the national anthem.
This spawned this Zed thread.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?134119-Pledge-of-Allegiance
Although I have never been told not to return I am clearly not welcome.
In fact I was so much of a hot potato that I took my upgrade to Austin.
2 Bexar county deputies did everything they could do to keep me from going there (w5ros).
https://ssl.qrz.com/showthread.php?110477-Testing-for-over-30-times
I schedule and take the test, 1 try and I am done!
Austin is the place for me with Amateur Radio in Texas!

W3WN
02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Hello.

I went to the Radio Operators Of South Texas club and pretty much gave up on clubs.
http://www.w5ros.org/
They have a policy on the pledge of allegiance, while playing the national anthem.
This spawned this Zed thread.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?134119-Pledge-of-Allegiance
Although I have never been told not to return I am clearly not welcome.
In fact I was so much of a hot potato that I took my upgrade to Austin.
2 Bexar county deputies did everything they could do to keep me from going there (w5ros).
https://ssl.qrz.com/showthread.php?110477-Testing-for-over-30-times
I schedule and take the test, 1 try and I am done!
Austin is the place for me with Amateur Radio in Texas!
You mean the thread where you accused people involved in ROOST in misdirecting potential hams, and in misappropriating equipment that might be crypto'd?

Sure. Whatever you say. And... smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

NQ6U
02-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Sure. Whatever you say. And... smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

I think he already has. If you catch my drift.

W3WN
02-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I think he already has. If you catch my drift.Indeed. And I think you've, ah, sniffed it out.

kds
02-12-2011, 12:44 AM
I think he already has. If you catch my drift.

I want some of that!

NQ6U
02-12-2011, 01:33 AM
I want some of that!

Yeah. Must be some good chit, man.

n0iu
02-12-2011, 07:54 AM
But what about the General Chat section of the Alpha Hotel? I guess we need to start checking licenses to make sure we don't get no stinkin' Novices or Techs over there!

WX7P
02-12-2011, 07:59 AM
the two amendments at the top are the topic of the discussion. the document beneath is the bylaws as they exist now (that is, they haven't been tweaked because there's not really a lot there).

Ah, yes. W6 POORLY WORKING. Used to hang out on the 145.15 box back in the early '80's. That's were we went when 529 would get jammed out.

They used to have a couple of nets, one on 2m and one on 10m that I used to listen to when I lived in Oakland. It was your typical mixture of newbies and way old timers (W6 uh, U R A-guy sounded like he was 150 years old)

The SF neighbor from hell, Don Bertone KK6AN was big in PW for awhile. Henry, you may remember this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/19/MNGK3GPM6J1.DTL The pic in the article was ripped right off QRZ.

Donnie was a friend of mine. He let me park in his driveway for the occasional Niners game I would go to. Don was eccentric, no doubt, but some of his neighbors were assholes.

WA6PYN (SK) also lived in Little Hollywood around the corner from Don. He used to get on the 515 box and bitch about "repeatos". There was some club politics that Pick Your Nose was involved in, so he hated the club.

yes. the good old days...

KA5PIU
02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Hello.

It was not ROOST that was misdirecting people.
ROOST was in a building owned by the Bexar county mounted posse and got a new home.
When I went to the "old" place, I was misdirected.
This has been going on for years, long before I showed up.
Another club has banned a ham outright.
http://www.aa5ro.org/Newsltrs/MAR/2008-03.pdf
I am not banned by ANY radio club, even ROOST.
Call ROOST up and they can tell you the story far better than I can.

KG4CGC
02-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Does this club not drug test its members?

NQ6U
02-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Don Bertone lives close to where I lived until I was about six. Do you know much about that whole fiasco?

KG4CGC
02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Don Bertone lives close to where I lived until I was about six. Do you know much about that whole fiasco?
Now that name sound familiar in cocaine circles, but that's OK. White people snorting powder is OK and if they get a little crazy, well, it's just boys having a little fun. I have a real problem though with minorities smoking crack!