PDA

View Full Version : I'm A Coach !!

n2ize
02-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, not exactly. This spring, on 2 consecutive Saturday's) I'll be coaching a group of youngsters in building and flying a model airplane. The goal ? Everyone will build a plane, get it up into the air and keep it up there flying. This will teach kids, construction techniques, the basics of aerodynamics and flight... We'll start with basic simple free flight gliders and, if time allows, a hands on demonstration with one or more powered models...perhaps a 1/2A gas control line and electric RC. I may even bring in a helicopter or two to demonstrate the similarities and differenced between fixed and rotary wing aircraft, as well as the distinctions in controlling a fixed wing aircraft and a rotary wing.

We did these sessions in the past and they were always successful. Even some parents got involved and learned. In todays cyber-world its always nice for young people to learn something thats real, hands on and not just an image on a screen... although we might demostrate a flight sim or two... :-D

NQ6U
02-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Sounds great, John. Bring along your HT and see if you can get a couple of the little bastids interested in ham radio, too!

W3MIV
02-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Mazel tov! Ur a bettah man than I am, Gunga Din. Volunteer work with youngsters is a big score.

N9FE
02-05-2011, 10:07 PM
There is a club that flys indoors here in the winter. One guy is a amatuer and wants me to come enjoy the fun. Its at the local high school gym. I'm going to go give a try. Don't have a plane, But could look into that..

KA5PIU
02-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Hello.

I like to play on 160 AM.
There are now hundreds of people who like to listen to myself and others on the older AM radios.
The old "police" band sits right in the middle of 160.
Fidelity is everything! remember that the audience may consist of people in their preteens to the very old, this is not the place for anything but a broadcast quality microphone, whatever the era.
A modern carbon microphone works super for that "punch" but the common electret, microphone, the cheap under $1 element works fine.
Kids as well as hams are fascinated to find that the transmitter is a small box in a pickup.
In the second world war AM HF was the norm and the rules have not changed, 500 miles mobile to mobile with 250 watts is very easy to do with units away from obstructions.
The trick is to totally ignore SSB, ignore that tight filter, ignore everything you have been told about Amateur Radio.
An AM broadcast station can be received at night with 500 watts from 500 miles with ease, with a cheap portable radio with a loopstick antenna.
A good quality radio can receive that same signal with 10 decibels of gain.
That same radio with an outside antenna will have another 10 decibels of gain.
But, AM and good sound quality is the key.
Kids love to play with old radios, it is very novel to them.
Older people like to recall memories listening to 2 way conversations.

rot
02-06-2011, 06:44 AM
My view is as such.
Kids want to see something burn. :cool2:
Even if you are teaching a poetry class...go ahead and show them something going up in flames...do the safety thing and get that part over with.
Then carry on with your passion.
Good luck Coach....sounds like a great endeavor for all.
Coolness.
rot

W3MIV
02-06-2011, 06:51 AM
There is a club that flys indoors here in the winter. ... Don't have a plane...

I sometimes fly indoors, especially in winter. Don't have a plane, either, but I have built up a fine collection of single malts. ;)

N9FE
02-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Atta Boy Albi !!

W5IEI
02-06-2011, 08:30 AM
John,
I have in storage a bunch of C/L kits,and engines.
Don't know the condition,they have been out there for a while.
If you are interested,I could donate a few goodies to your cause.
These will mostly be .35 size,and up.
Mike

n2ize
02-06-2011, 02:55 PM
John,
I have in storage a bunch of C/L kits,and engines.
Don't know the condition,they have been out there for a while.
If you are interested,I could donate a few goodies to your cause.
These will mostly be .35 size,and up.
Mike

Thanks for the offer Mike I appreciate it. I might take you up on the offer some time in the future. Let me see how things go in a couple of weeks. If all works out we may do a repeat session during the late spring/early summer when the weather is milder and a few CL kits might be just the thing. I'll see how things go and I'll let you know. Thank you very much.

KA5PIU
02-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Hello.

I concur on the fire thing!
YOU can do this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TvAjGOj-BE
I do 5 of the little suckers strapped to my wrist with a leather assembly and a fire resistant welders shirt.
You may not want to do this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_breathing
I do it all as a part of my "act".
And, yes, anything that can fly will gain the attention of the kids and oldsters alike.
Magic, as in illusion, is always a good diversion.
Remember, the goal is to have everything flow into the next, and keep it "fresh", mix it up and work on new material.

W4RLR
02-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I sometimes fly indoors, especially in winter. Don't have a plane, either, but I have built up a fine collection of single malts. ;)A man after my own heart! Such feats of aviation are the only way I can fly now.