PDA

View Full Version : WriteLog - worth it?

N8YX
02-04-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm looking for a contesting/operations program which will support use of a "dumb" Baudot modem (think ST-6000 or similar). WriteLog apparently offer this feature and supports a number of TNCs in host mode as well. Thus, my question to any and all users:

What do you think of the program as compared to, say, N1MM?

Pros/cons of each?

KC2UGV
02-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Ok, I'm going to show my lack of knowledge here: What do you mean by "support"? What is it you are trying to do with the dumb baudot modem?

N8YX
02-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok, I'm going to show my lack of knowledge here: What do you mean by "support"? What is it you are trying to do with the dumb baudot modem?
Transmit and receive with it.

Almost all modern terminal programs are ASCII only and only go down to 110 baud. I need one which can talk Baudot and ASCII at speeds as low as 45 baud (Baudot) or 60 baud (ASCII).

When you utilize an ST-8000, Timewave DSP599zx or similar hardware modem for RTTY decoding purposes you get an unformatted (unconverted) data stream on the device's RS-232 port; characters passed to the serial port in the exact format and baud rate which they were received. I need a program (or suite) which allows transmission and reception of this "raw mode" data. Many rig-control and contesting programs (MMTTY, HRD, etc) only know how to talk "host mode" and as indicated previously, Hyperterm and the like are out of the question as well.