PDA

View Full Version : Happy Groundhog Day!

NQ6U
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Happy groundhog day.

Happy groundhog day.

Happy groundhog day.

Happy groundhog day.

Happy groundhog day.

Happy groundhog day.

W3WN
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
You watch too many movies, OM.

BTW, the word is that the Punxsatawney Phil did NOT see his shadow this morning, therefore, spring is just around the corner.

Of course, it will take 6 weeks to reach and go around that corner...

KG4CGC
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't know what you consider Spring to be, north of the Mason Dixon line but I suspect you'll start seeing a difference over the next 2 weeks. I don't know what General Lee said today but there is a good chance he saw his shadow but was not scared by it.

NQ6U
02-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't know what you consider Spring to be, north of the Mason Dixon line but I suspect you'll start seeing a difference over the next 2 weeks. I don't know what General Lee said today but there is a good chance he saw his shadow but was not scared by it.

Same here. Spring begins about the middle of February in southern California.

NA4BH
02-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Damn rodents.

KG4CGC
02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
They destroyed the local iconic groundhog population here ...............................
to put up a Wal-Mart.

NA4BH
02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Now they have LAND HOGS

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FfTknygc1iM/TG2piJR1ElI/AAAAAAAADn0/8nCdpehWnxE/s1600/MART+3.jpg

KG4CGC
02-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Also of note, by region, the Farmer's Almanac said this would be a mild Winter. If that is based on mean averages, an unseasonably warm last half of Winter could make it the case.

w3bny
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Meh...Bunnies are better at it...HAH..

w2amr
02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Now they have LAND HOGS

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FfTknygc1iM/TG2piJR1ElI/AAAAAAAADn0/8nCdpehWnxE/s1600/MART+3.jpgDo you think she saw her shadow? :rofl:

w2amr
02-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Don't drive angry.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_G-q75qrc8j4/S2hiwdIEhAI/AAAAAAAAAEY/WB_qatxECAA/s320/groundhog-day.jpg

KG4CGC
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Do you think she saw her shadow? :rofl:
Probably been years since he's seen his feet.

N4VGB
02-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Now they have LAND HOGS

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FfTknygc1iM/TG2piJR1ElI/AAAAAAAADn0/8nCdpehWnxE/s1600/MART+3.jpg

Making fun of poor unfortunates for the way they look and this one is a good American WalMart shopper to boot. Disgraceful conduct.:hand:

W3WN
02-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Making fun of poor unfortunates for the way they look and this one is a good American WalMart shopper to boot. Disgraceful conduct.:hand:
And what's your point?

W3WN
02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I thought that was the car that starred in the Dukes of Hazard?

BTW, on an unrelated note, you should see a box in the mail on Friday or Saturday. I had that SWR bridge sitting here in the shack for weeks, finally got it to the post office today.

KG4CGC
02-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I thought that was the car that starred in the Dukes of Hazard?

BTW, on an unrelated note, you should see a box in the mail on Friday or Saturday. I had that SWR bridge sitting here in the shack for weeks, finally got it to the post office today.
YeaY! Fine Business!
General Lee is the Georgia groundhog for our region. He wears a Confederate uniform as do his handlers.

W3WN
02-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Well, that's my fault. I didn't intend to procrastinate, but I could just never get down to the PO.

If the bridge isn't what you were hoping for, just find it a good home. As long as it stays on the ham bands...

N4VGB
02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
And what's your point?

Nuttin' honey, I already knew shameless was the norm here.8)

KG4CGC
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, that's my fault. I didn't intend to procrastinate, but I could just never get down to the PO.

If the bridge isn't what you were hoping for, just find it a good home. As long as it stays on the ham bands...
Excellent :)
My main interest is in the Field Strength meter application. It will be part of an early warning weather monitoring system that I will be putting together. I can't even remember what happened to the last one I had which I remembered so fondly. Probably disappeared in a move. It could also be used as the readout part of an RF sniffer.

w2amr
02-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Probably been years since he's seen his feet.HE?:ugh:

W1GUH
02-03-2011, 09:37 AM
"Punxsatawney Phil" "Punxsatawney Phil" "Punxsatawney Phil" yada yada yada Sure must have a better agent than Punxsatawney Pete! I tried finding out what happened to Punxsatawney Pete, but Googlefu failed me. He still around?

Was forced to watch the proceedings in Punxsatawney yesterday (trying to figure out if I was going to work). Oh boy!!!! Poor Phil looked like he was as nasueated by all the BS going on as I was. Could be all the BS hoopla has confused him...he sure looked like he just wanted to be left alone.

W3WN
02-03-2011, 09:54 AM
"Punxsatawney Phil" "Punxsatawney Phil" "Punxsatawney Phil" yada yada yada Sure must have a better agent than Punxsatawney Pete! I tried finding out what happened to Punxsatawney Pete, but Googlefu failed me. He still around?

Was forced to watch the proceedings in Punxsatawney yesterday (trying to figure out if I was going to work). Oh boy!!!! Poor Phil looked like he was as nasueated by all the BS going on as I was. Could be all the BS hoopla has confused him...he sure looked like he just wanted to be left alone.The reality is that Central PA located groundhogs are normally hibernating in the beginning of February, and even though the current incarnation of Phil (and family) are kept as pampered pets, they're a little grumpy about being handled the way that they are.

PETA used to complain about it. Either they stopped complaining or the press started ignorning them.

KG4CGC
02-03-2011, 01:58 PM
HE?:ugh:
Dude! Yeah!

n2ize
02-03-2011, 03:21 PM
You watch too many movies, OM.

BTW, the word is that the Punxsatawney Phil did NOT see his shadow this morning, therefore, spring is just around the corner.

Of course, it will take 6 weeks to reach and go around that corner...

I heard the groundhog can't even get out of his burrow. It's buries under at least 6 feet of snow and hard packed ice.

n2ize
02-03-2011, 03:22 PM
The reality is that Central PA located groundhogs are normally hibernating in the beginning of February, and even though the current incarnation of Phil (and family) are kept as pampered pets, they're a little grumpy about being handled the way that they are.

PETA used to complain about it. Either they stopped complaining or the press started ignorning them.

Most likely the latter. Actually PETA proposed that they switch to using a robot groundhog.

W3WN
02-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I heard the groundhog can't even get out of his burrow. It's buries under at least 6 feet of snow and hard packed ice.
A wild one? Sure.

Phil? Nah, they keep him in a special home... he and his family are essentially pets. They only put him in that stump the morning of the 2nd, and after they pull him out, he goes home.

W3WN
02-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Most likely the latter. Actually PETA proposed that they switch to using a robot groundhog.
What fun would that be?

I also hear that the live 'hog, even though he's somewhat tame, can be feisty and has been known to bite. The things you'd miss out on with a robot!

kb2vxa
02-04-2011, 01:59 PM
You're right, after getting waked up and stuffed under a stump, freezing his tuchs off, getting dragged out and fussed with he's pretty grumpy and has been known to bite. Eh, why do you think the handler wears heavy gloves when the hog is so warm and covered with fur?

Why is it called a ground HOG when it's less a pig and more a huge RAT?

"The things you'd miss out on with a robot!"
Ah, but think of the possibilities!

NQ6U
02-04-2011, 02:03 PM
You're right, after getting waked up and stuffed under a stump, freezing his tuchs off, getting dragged out and fussed with he's pretty grumpy and has been known to bite.

Hell, under those circumstances, I might bite somebody myself.