PDA

View Full Version : The Last IP Adresses, going, going, gone

N4VGB
02-02-2011, 02:15 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110201/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_internet_addresses

http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/01/the-internet-is-about-to-run-out-of-addresses-2/

:doh::doh::doh:

W4GPL
02-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Much ado about nothing. There have been lots of IP hoarding over there years, most major carriers have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of unassigned IPs. And this will finally push the refinement of IPv6 to the end user. It's probably a blessing in disguise.

Allocated != In Use

W5GA
02-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Much ado about nothing. There have been lots of IP hoarding over there years, most major carriers have tens, if not hundreds of thousands of unassigned IPs. And this will finally push the refinement of IPv6 to the end user. It's probably a blessing in disguise.

Allocated != In Use
What's the point of hoarding IP's?

KC2UGV
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
What's the point of hoarding IP's?

Status symbol... I mean, AMPRNet has an entire Class C block (44.0.0.0-44.254.254.254).

W4GPL
02-02-2011, 09:06 AM
What's the point of hoarding IP's?It's been known for many years now that we'd eventually run out of addresses. It only made sense to take what they could get, not what they needed. The carriers knew IP addresses would be a hot commodity when they finally did run out. Greed, mostly.

w3bny
02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
And what..Google et.al are going to run a live one day IPv6 test in June.

KC2UGV
02-02-2011, 09:59 AM
And what..Google et.al are going to run a live one day IPv6 test in June.

Ayep... I get to be involved in that :)

W3WN
02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Big deal.

Really. This is nothing new. It's been delayed for about 5 - 10 years due to wiser allocation of resources, and unused IP blocks being turned in and recycled, but this was coming.

It just means that IPv6 will finally start getting rolled out to the masses.

BTW, the Wall Street Journal also had an article on this yesterday. First page of Section "B". Again, nothing new.

W3WN
02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Status symbol... I mean, AMPRNet has an entire Class C block (44.0.0.0-44.254.254.254).
I thought that was a Class A block.

KC2UGV
02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I thought that was a Class A block.

Yes, had my classes reversed. Class A (Class C would be 44.0.0.255) :)

W3WN
02-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Yes, had my classes reversed. Class A (Class C would be 44.0.0.255) :)
That will be two Hail Steven's (Jobs) and a Holy Grace (Hopper), and then you're forgiven.

N4VGB
02-02-2011, 01:05 PM
It's been known for many years now that we'd eventually run out of addresses. It only made sense to take what they could get, not what they needed. The carriers knew IP addresses would be a hot commodity when they finally did run out. Greed, mostly.

Yep, but it wasn't previously known to take place tomorrow. Anyway, so all the wireless users will be migrated to IPv6. I presume all the now unused IPv4 addresses could go back into the pool and since I doubt we'll ever reach the max number of 4.3 billion landline addresses available under IPv4.........problem solved.

But that leaves us that pesky translator system to deal with and bastardized networks are usually a PITA to admin and I'm doubting the wireless people are gonna like this idea and then there's the global politics of it all and .......................

It may all go smoothly or turn into a 3 ring global circus.:lol:

KA5PIU
02-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Hello.

IPv6 is nothing.
I frequently use IPv4 Private Addresses that can never be resolved, I Must use Network Address Translation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
My firewall does a whole lot more than one might think.
So, in the same scheme of things, we just have really smart routers, a small box you buy from your provider that fixes everything.
And, the answer to my netbook MAC?
DEAD.BEEF.FFFF , note that the last 4 can range from 0000 to FFFF.
Just try and resolve that!
Once you get past the router/firewall/network address translation, it is all downhill.
I eluded to this Monday. ;)

KC2UGV
02-03-2011, 07:46 AM
That will be two Hail Steven's (Jobs) and a Holy Grace (Hopper), and then you're forgiven.

I feel clean now :lol:

KA5PIU
02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Yep, but it wasn't previously known to take place tomorrow. Anyway, so all the wireless users will be migrated to IPv6. I presume all the now unused IPv4 addresses could go back into the pool and since I doubt we'll ever reach the max number of 4.3 billion landline addresses available under IPv4.........problem solved.

But that leaves us that pesky translator system to deal with and bastardized networks are usually a PITA to admin and I'm doubting the wireless people are gonna like this idea and then there's the global politics of it all and .......................

It may all go smoothly or turn into a 3 ring global circus.:lol:

Hello.

Mobile phones have been shipping with IPv6 for some time now.
If this works for you it is good, IPv6 link.
http:// (http:///)[2001:4978:15d::1] (http://discussions.apple.com/)/
Appple has not enabled IPv6 on the iPhone at this time, and for good reason, the carriers are not ready.
But, all of the current Apple computers are shipping with IPv6 enabled, you can turn it off if need be.
AT&T sent out the DSL router/modem I use and it has a IPv6 address but deals with both just fine.
I have 2 routers behind it, one that supports IPv4 only that has a private network behind it.
The other runs a pair of servers and can do both at the same time.

KC2UGV
02-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Hello.

Mobile phones have been shipping with IPv6 for some time now.
If this works for you it is good, IPv6 link.
http:// (http:///)[2001:4978:15d::1] (http://discussions.apple.com/)/
Appple has not enabled IPv6 on the iPhone at this time, and for good reason, the carriers are not ready.
But, all of the current Apple computers are shipping with IPv6 enabled, you can turn it off if need be.
AT&T sent out the DSL router/modem I use and it has a IPv6 address but deals with both just fine.
I have 2 routers behind it, one that supports IPv4 only that has a private network behind it.
The other runs a pair of servers and can do both at the same time.

Whenever they do implement IPv6, it'll be their own broken version. Just like dhcp :lol:

As an aside, my Android phone has IPv6 enabled... Just waiting on VZW.

KA5PIU
02-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Hello.

If you are waiting on the carrier, you may wait years.
Our local land line CO is a genuine WE 5ESS, upgraded of course.
My cell carrier is Cricket, the valujet of the cell carriers, they buy all the old equipment when other carriers upgrade.
The local MTSO is running AT&T and Ericsson equipment that was intended for AMPS in connection with Qualcomm controllers for CDMA.
And they "Now" offer internet. ;)
My company carrier is Nextel, iDEN to the max!
We use 3 watt amplifiers and gain type antennas to get anything close to acceptable range.
With that I get a 20+ mile range increase, and need it as Sprint is not adding towers, and never will.
That is stuck in the IPv4 range forever.
But, yes, I can see this as being a IPv4/IPv6 world for forever.

w6tmi
02-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Hello.

IPv6 is nothing.
I frequently use IPv4 Private Addresses that can never be resolved, I Must use Network Address Translation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

NAT is actually what has saved quite a number of addresses, between most using it, and port forwarding, and private interconnect routers using it, it would have been a bigger calamity before.

That and I suppose the proliferation of internet connected refrigerators wasn't as bad as at first thought. :neener:

KA5PIU
02-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Hello.

NAT is just so cool.
Not only do I conserve on IP, but there is no way that someone outside my network is going to have access to a machine.
I have web access and can use my shared resources on the same network.
And, as I have since discovered, the MAC address of my netbook is not the same for the ethernet and WiFi and broadband.
Each has its own address, and can be configured for one IPv4 and a totally independent IPv6, and will accept both at the same time.
I will need to explore this further, perhaps an exploit in the making. ;)

n6hcm
02-04-2011, 02:12 AM
And, as I have since discovered, the MAC address of my netbook is not the same for the ethernet and WiFi and broadband.

uh, no. of course they're not the same. MAC addresses are unique by definition.

NQ6U
02-04-2011, 02:17 AM
uh, no. of course they're not the same. MAC addresses are unique by definition.

Would kind of defeat the whole purpose of MAC addresses if they weren't, in fact. You're just figuring this out, Rudy?

W4GPL
02-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Would kind of defeat the whole purpose of MAC addresses if they weren't, in fact. You're just figuring this out, Rudy?They haven't covered that subject in Self Delusions 101 yet.

KC2UGV
02-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Hello.

If you are waiting on the carrier, you may wait years.
Our local land line CO is a genuine WE 5ESS, upgraded of course.
My cell carrier is Cricket, the valujet of the cell carriers, they buy all the old equipment when other carriers upgrade.
The local MTSO is running AT&T and Ericsson equipment that was intended for AMPS in connection with Qualcomm controllers for CDMA.
And they "Now" offer internet. ;)
My company carrier is Nextel, iDEN to the max!
We use 3 watt amplifiers and gain type antennas to get anything close to acceptable range.
With that I get a 20+ mile range increase, and need it as Sprint is not adding towers, and never will.
That is stuck in the IPv4 range forever.
But, yes, I can see this as being a IPv4/IPv6 world for forever.

Um, if your carrier is just giving you an IPv4 address, there isn't all that much one can do but wait. Your only presence on the internet is the one the ISP gives you.

W4GPL
02-04-2011, 07:27 AM
You can always use a tunnel -- www.tunnelbroker.net (http://www.tunnelbroker.net) is a free service you can use, it's a little slow, but at least I can access any IPv6 address I want/need to.

FWIW, HamIsland & LTG will have IPv6 services enabled on June 8th.

W3WN
02-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Um, if your carrier is just giving you an IPv4 address, there isn't all that much one can do but wait. Your only presence on the internet is the one the ISP gives you.
Verizon told me that the FiOS router that we've had the last few years is already IPv6 capable, they just have to turn it on when the time comes... or it may already be on, and is just being ignored.

My home network will stay on IPv4, and why not? Certainly no reason for the private network to go to IPv6, and the router will handle the translation (as it already does) to whatever protocols that Verizon is using.

Now if they would just quit doing stupid stuff, like leaving a message in my voicemail inbox... the one that is supposed to be turned off... to tell me that because it's been turned off for over 6 months, the password needs to be reset. Which screws up my dial tone (as it now informs me I have VM), so I have to spend an hour digging through their site to find out how to get a temporary password so that I can set the VM box back up... to get the message that it's been disabled. That's an hour I could have been working DX that I'll never get back...

KC2UGV
02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Verizon told me that the FiOS router that we've had the last few years is already IPv6 capable, they just have to turn it on when the time comes... or it may already be on, and is just being ignored.

My home network will stay on IPv4, and why not? Certainly no reason for the private network to go to IPv6, and the router will handle the translation (as it already does) to whatever protocols that Verizon is using.

Now if they would just quit doing stupid stuff, like leaving a message in my voicemail inbox... the one that is supposed to be turned off... to tell me that because it's been turned off for over 6 months, the password needs to be reset. Which screws up my dial tone (as it now informs me I have VM), so I have to spend an hour digging through their site to find out how to get a temporary password so that I can set the VM box back up... to get the message that it's been disabled. That's an hour I could have been working DX that I'll never get back...

The only reason I can see for using IPv6 for internal networks is the built-in DHCP. IPv6 has DHCP built in, and there are no more "static assignments". Everything is autoassigned network number + MAC.

Other than that? The idea of every device addressable from the internet is actually kinda scary. I like hiding my machines behind a NAT.

KA5PIU
02-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Would kind of defeat the whole purpose of MAC addresses if they weren't, in fact. You're just figuring this out, Rudy?

Hello.

I can understand that they differ, but I would have thought that the SAME NIC would have the same MAC if in IPv4 or IPv6 mode.
It turns out that this is not the case at all.
In fact, if I release the IP and change the MAC, very easy to do not that I understand this, I can change identity for all practical purposes.
In the early era of cellphones the carrier would have a list of invalid ESNs, Electronic Serial Numbers.
You could take a cellphone and change the number at will, at some point the carrier would blacklist that ESN.
So somebody came up with a selector switch and a stack of EEPROMs, when one ESN became invalid you simply select another.
Later an ESN that would "tumble" between calls was created.
When the carriers started to match NAM, the Number Assignment Module with the ESN it was back to a stack of chips and selector.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Assignment_Module
Later, one could fit a phone with a module that was the precise size to replace the NAM with 256 NAM locations and could easily be programmed from a computer.
Now this is the case for CDMA, a "nammer" phone is a modded phone that looks like any other.
In the case of GSM the IMEI is stored on the same virtual SIM and it is all a module that sits between the phone and battery.
The point of this little exercise is that there is very little different between cellphones and NICs.
It is all about hiding identity.
One can run out, buy a tracfone, use it for a few months, wipe the firmware and put in a new SIM card and go again.
There is a market that pays big bucks for this type of thing, they buy in volume with a really good markup and pay in cash.
So, it is not that the MAC differs, but the fact that it differs even within a single device and is not an absolute value.