PDA

View Full Version : W2VJZ's property

w2amr
02-01-2011, 06:06 AM
A nice end to the story. Irb's property will remain un developed. For a while anyway.:-D
http://baskingridge.patch.com/articles/a-walk-in-the-park-with-the-mayor

W1GUH
02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Sweet!!!! That's such good news...gonna have to take a trip down there. Do you know the call(s) of the people mentioned?

w2amr
02-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Sweet!!!! That's such good news...gonna have to take a trip down there. Do you know the call(s) of the people mentioned?No Paul, not really.

W1GUH
02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
And I forgot to ask about his property up in the Adirondacks?

w2amr
02-01-2011, 01:04 PM
And I forgot to ask about his property up in the Adirondacks?
Damn, I forgot about that. He had a Johnson desk kilowatt up there along with a few DX-100's and Sky Champion receivers. Wonder what became of all that stuff? I know what happened to everything in Jersey. Kind of sad actually.
http://w2dtc.com/2007-0505-w2vjz-estate-auction-page.htm

NQ6U
02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
A nice end to the story. Irb's property will remain un developed. For a while anyway.:-D]

Gol durn hippies. All that good land going to waste when someone could make a killing building condos on it.

KG4CGC
02-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Gol durn hippies. All that good land going to waste when someone could make a killing building condos on it.
Or prisons or something equally as cheerful.

w2amr
02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
They broke the mold after Irb was made.:lol:
http://w2dtc.com/w2dtc-sound-bites/2003-0320-w2vjz-execute-for-treason.mp3

w2amr
02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fheMPTWjMjs&feature=player_embedded

W1GUH
02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Great link! Gotta post a couple with special interest for me...

His G-76...

http://w2dtc.com/2007-0507-w2vjz-estate-sale/033.jpg

Woulda bid on that if Ida know about the auction. (Sob!!!) (That's sob as in cry...shed tears. Ain't calling anyone a sonofa...)

And damn....he had one of these?

http://w2dtc.com/2007-0507-w2vjz-estate-sale/010.jpg

Friend had one back in the 60's. Must be rare. Pix on the web are few and far between. If I needed a VFO I'd buy one in a heartbeat. They were GOOD!

And this...

http://w2dtc.com/2007-0507-w2vjz-estate-sale/011.jpg

Looks like a receiver? Maybe some variation of an HBR-N? Another item I woulda bid on.

RIP, Irb. We miss you.

w2amr
02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Great link! Gotta post a couple with special interest for me...

His G-76...

http://w2dtc.com/2007-0507-w2vjz-estate-sale/033.jpg

Woulda bid on that if Ida know about the auction. (Sob!!!) (That's sob as in cry...shed tears. Ain't calling anyone a sonofa...)

And damn....he had one of these?

http://w2dtc.com/2007-0507-w2vjz-estate-sale/010.jpg

Friend had one back in the 60's. Must be rare. Pix on the web are few and far between. If I needed a VFO I'd buy one in a heartbeat. They were GOOD!

That was the matching VFO for the Globe scout deluxe. The cool thing about it was, it had it's own power supply.

W1GUH
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
"That was the matching VFO for the Globe scout deluxe. The cool thing about it was, it had it's own power supply. "

It also had super-hefty output, something that anybody who fiddled with a VF-1 on 10 meters and could barely get any grid current at all really, really appreciated!

I forget the real numbers, but the Knight V-44, which I had, had plenty of output. It was spec'ed at approx 10v, while the Globe VFO had something like 30-40 volts. My friend Jim really liked it. But what he really wanted for his '720 was the Eico 722. He ordered one from the local Electronics Supply store, and waited and waite for Eico to release it. But before that happened, the Globe came out.

In my neo-AM'er day I had the Hallicrafters HA-5. All four of these...Knight, Eico, Globe, and Hallicrafters had their own supply.

N4VGB
02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
<snip>RIP, Irb. We miss you.<snip>

A sentiment a lot of hams don't share with us.:lol:

I dunno, just me, but I miss a lot of those OFs from days gone by that could be royal PITAs at times but furnished some fond memories also.:yes:

W1GUH
02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
:yes::agree::cheers:

[edit] Yea, but in my experience those OF's, who could be a PITA on the air would also be the most patient and generous Elmers in getting your station squared away.

w2amr
02-01-2011, 03:22 PM
A sentiment a lot of hams don't share with us.:lol:

I dunno, just me, but I miss a lot of those OFs from days gone by that could be royal PITAs at times but furnished some fond memories also.:yes:How was Irbs signal down your way Mack?

N4VGB
02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
How was Irbs signal down your way Mack?

Usually puny, Irb didn't run much wattage. But I could hear him stirring up the chit!!!

w2amr
02-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Usually puny, Irb didn't run much wattage. But I could hear him stirring up the chit!!! Every day. One morning I heard him trying to check into the christian fellowship net on 75, they wouldn't even answer him. LMAO.:lol:

N4VGB
02-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Every day. One morning I heard him trying to check into the christian fellowship net on 75, they wouldn't even answer him. LMAO.:lol:

George I don't remember Irb having any other property? And I sure as hell don't remember a big enough signal from him that I'd believe he had a Desk KW?

w2amr
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
George I don't remember Irb having any other property? And I sure as hell don't remember a big enough signal from him that I'd believe he had a Desk KW?He had a vacation home in the mountains, New Russia NY.

http://www.mapquest.com/?q=New%20Russia,%20NY

The Desk KW was there. I think he drove it with an AF-67. When it crapped out, he just used one of his DX-100's

N4VGB
02-01-2011, 05:28 PM
He had a vacation home in the mountains, New Russia NY.

http://www.mapquest.com/?q=New%20Russia,%20NY

The Desk KW was there. I think he drove it with an AF-67. When it crapped out, he just used one of his DX-100's

Maybe still siting there? Waiting for the back tax sale?

w2amr
02-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't know. Like I was telling Paul, I haven't heard anything about that place. But plenty of yay yem gangstas knew it was up there.

N4VGB
02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I don't know. Like I was telling Paul, I haven't heard anything about that place. But plenty of yay yem gangstas knew it was up there.

Oh well, if the 'am gangstas' know where it's located it's already been looted.

"Gangstas" is like that ya know.

n2ize
02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
George I don't remember Irb having any other property? And I sure as hell don't remember a big enough signal from him that I'd believe he had a Desk KW?

This Yay-em Gangsta remembers the place well. I was at his place in the Adirondacks twice. He had a rather LARGE property there with an incredible view of the mountains from the back of the house. And I saw the Desk KW there. Yes it was quite real but he never ran it. And regardless of whether he was operating 100 watts from the rack in his kitchen in New Russia or from his place in Liberty Or, he always had a strapping signal around here.

The first time I visited him in the Adirondacks I showed up in the middle of a maple syrup boilover. Yes, he tapped his trees in the Adirondacks as well as in Liberty Or.

He looked like Thomas Jefferson but he wore his white hair in a ponytail and he was a strong man. He was very kind and hospitable to guests. He was a fascinating person to meet.

I also met Ethan (his loyal Dog). Eventually Irb drowned Ethan to put him out of his misery. This was one of the events that put him at odds with some of the AM'ers;. Also, Irb's condemnation of the US in the wake of 911 turned many AM'ers against him.

In the early 90's I used to talk with Irb quite often. I would come home from work , chat with him on 75 before heading out. Irb always drew a good crowd....

w2amr
02-02-2011, 03:22 AM
This Yay-em Gangsta remembers the place well. I was at his place in the Adirondacks twice. He had a rather LARGE property there with an incredible view of the mountains from the back of the house. And I saw the Desk KW there. Yes it was quite real but he never ran it. And regardless of whether he was operating 100 watts from the rack in his kitchen in New Russia or from his place in Liberty Or, he always had a strapping signal around here.

The first time I visited him in the Adirondacks I showed up in the middle of a maple syrup boilover. Yes, he tapped his trees in the Adirondacks as well as in Liberty Or.

He looked like Thomas Jefferson but he wore his white hair in a ponytail and he was a strong man. He was very kind and hospitable to guests. He was a fascinating person to meet.

I also met Ethan (his loyal Dog). Eventually Irb drowned Ethan to put him out of his misery. This was one of the events that put him at odds with some of the AM'ers;. Also, Irb's condemnation of the US in the wake of 911 turned many AM'ers against him.

In the early 90's I used to talk with Irb quite often. I would come home from work , chat with him on 75 before heading out. Irb always drew a good crowd....I forgot about the dog thing, Bummer.

kb2vxa
02-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Whatever happened to the wind chimes?

w2amr
02-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Whatever happened to the wind chimes?I think whoever controlled his estate kept them.

w2amr
02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Back around 93 at our old location , I had a 75 meter AM station set up on my desk at work. A Viking II and HQ170 , with a 1/4 wave piece of wire against ground, up about 10 '. I would chat with Irb for a few minutes in the morning while the coffee was brewing.

n2ize
02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Back around 93 at our old location , I had a 75 meter AM station set up on my desk at work. A Viking II and HQ170 , with a 1/4 wave piece of wire against ground, up about 10 '. I would chat with Irb for a few minutes in the morning while the coffee was brewing.

I think I remember that setup. I think I was on the air a few times when you checked in from work.

w2amr
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I think I remember that setup. I think I was on the air a few times when you checked in from work.I was also using the GRC-9 station in work for a while. I worked Timmy in Maine on 75, and Walt Hutchens/KJ4KV in VA on 40 with it.
Then we moved to our current location in 2001 , where my Boss's office is right next to the shop. That was the end of HF from work.:(

N4VGB
02-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Speaking of Walt Hutchens/KJ4KV, what happened to him? I loved his old Electric Radio "In Uniform"(I think?) series on military radios. I heard him on the air a few times also. Then suddenly he was gone, no more articles in ER and I don't think I ever heard him on the air again?

n2ize
02-03-2011, 12:02 AM
I was also using the GRC-9 station in work for a while. I worked Timmy in Maine on 75, and Walt Hutchens/KJ4KV in VA on 40 with it.
Then we moved to our current location in 2001 , where my Boss's office is right next to the shop. That was the end of HF from work.:(

Yep, I remember that GRC-9 and I remember you jumping in from that station. Those were some great times.

w2amr
02-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Speaking of Walt Hutchens/KJ4KV, what happened to him? I loved his old Electric Radio "In Uniform"(I think?) series on military radios. I heard him on the air a few times also. Then suddenly he was gone, no more articles in ER and I don't think I ever heard him on the air again?After he stopped writing the articles in ER , he also gave up net control for the old military radio net. I worked him maybe once or twice after that, and never heard him again.

N4VGB
02-03-2011, 04:09 AM
After he stopped writing the articles in ER , he also gave up net control for the old military radio net. I worked him maybe once or twice after that, and never heard him again.

Exit stage left and gone!? That's about the same story I heard from others, poof and he's gone. The mystery of Walt continues.............?