PDA

View Full Version : Industry Canada Call Directory

W3WN
01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
I found online, on Industry Canada's site (or was it RAC's, I forget now) a listing of all Canadian calls.

It took a little finagling, but I got it all imported into a database file.

One thing I don't understand... and maybe someone more familiar with this than I can clear up...

Why does the notation (+) appear after so many Last Names?

My suspicion is that this indicates an expired call, or a call no longer active (turned in for another?)... as I did a quick lookup of some known active calls (VE1DX, VE1AL to name two) and they don't show the notation. But that's not proof.

Anyone know?

VE7DCW
01-31-2011, 12:37 PM
I found online, on Industry Canada's site (or was it RAC's, I forget now) a listing of all Canadian calls.

It took a little finagling, but I got it all imported into a database file.

One thing I don't understand... and maybe someone more familiar with this than I can clear up...

Why does the notation (+) appear after so many Last Names?

My suspicion is that this indicates an expired call, or a call no longer active (turned in for another?)... as I did a quick lookup of some known active calls (VE1DX, VE1AL to name two) and they don't show the notation. But that's not proof.

Anyone know?

When looking in the canadian callsign database the "+" indicates the noted amateur licencee has obtained the "basic with honours" level of qualification that allows him to operate on ALL amateur bands .....

You can get the full details of Canadian Amateur qualifications from the Industry Canada page giving information about "RIC-3" .... the standards that VE's must adhere to....

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01636.html#qualifi :-D

W3WN
01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Ah! That makes sense.

Thanks!