PDA

View Full Version : America's 10 Dirtiest Hotels/Motels.

N2NH
01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Plus a report on a night at the second dirtiest hotel...

First, from Trip Advisor:

This year, the tarnished title of America's dirtiest hotel goes to Grand Resort Hotel & Convention Center, in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The southern belle hotel failed to charm TripAdvisor travelers; 87 percent of those who reviewed it recommended against staying there. The unpopular property elicited such hotel review titles as "Worst Hotel Stay of My Life," "Stay Anywhere Else But Here," and "Absolutely Horrible!"

2011's Top 10 Dirtiest Hotels in the U.S.:

1. Grand Resort Hotel & Convention Center - Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

2. Jack London Inn - Oakland, California

3. Desert Inn Resort - Daytona Beach, Florida

4. Hotel Carter - New York City, New York

5. Polynesian Beach & Golf Resort - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

6. Atlantic Beach Hotel - Miami Beach, Florida

7. Rodeway Inn - Williamsville, New York

8. Super 8 Estes Park - Denver, Colorado

9. Palm Grove Hotel and Suites - Virginia Beach, Virginia

10. Econo Lodge Newark International Airport - Elizabeth, New Jersey

2011's Top 10 Dirtiest Hotels in the U.S. (http://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-i4557-c1-Press_Releases.html)

A first hand account from SF Gate:

Inside, the first thing to hit me was the smell -- a mixture of mold, ammonia and stale cigarettes. Then in a succession I realized that there were no towels, washcloths or soap. Everything -- the lamp, the windows, the dressers without handles, the unhinged toilet seat and the broken chairs -- seemed to date back to the early 1970s.

Sunlight poured through gaps in the purple curtains and peeped through a hole the size of a pencil eraser.
And there was the bed, standing bare in the center of the room except for a thin white sheet and a flat pillow about half the normal size. Nothing anchored the head board. It just stood behind the queen bed. One queen bed: The reservation was for two beds.

"What room are you in?" the receptionist asked when I returned to the lobby and told her about the mistake.
She checked the computer then handed me two new key cards. "It's on the third floor and also to the right," she said, using the same unflappable tone with me as she had with the German tourists in skinny jeans, whose room she had mixed up. She gave them keys for an already occupied room.

"Did they find anyone in there?" she asked "Joey," who appeared to be a manager, a few minutes later. "Yes," he said. She smiled and winced...

The replacement room, Room 327, was a step up. Bedspreads covered the mattresses and matched the curtains. But a hole in the wall near the bathroom looked ominous. Cigarette burn marks flecked the sink, someone had torn the hair dryer fixture from the wall and ripped out the room's only smoke alarm. One pillow had a cigarette burn that penetrated the case, while stains flecked all four of them. And all the sheets were dirty. One was ripped and stained by blood...

MOAR! A night in America s second dirtiest hotel. (http://www.insidebayarea.com/top-stories/ci_17231602)

KC2UGV
01-29-2011, 10:14 PM
I'd hate to read the review on the dirtiest...

W4RLR
01-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Because I don't like surprises when I travel, I bring my room with me. Having a travel trailer where the only one who sleeps in the bed is myself and the XYL, priceless.

NQ6U
01-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Because I don't like surprises when I travel, I bring my room with me. Having a travel trailer where the only one who sleeps in the bed is myself and the XYL, priceless.

But...where's the HF antenna??

PA5COR
01-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Richard has a "stealth" antenna ;)

W4RLR
01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
But...where's the HF antenna??In the trailer. A G5RV that gets strung up in the trees when I get to camp. There's a ATAS 120 on the truck that doesn't show up in the picture.

ki4itv
01-30-2011, 04:24 PM

:lol:
The parked red truck and spare tire combination had me thinking you had a Mercury boat motor on the back of that trailer. I thought wtf?
optical delusion.

kc7jty
01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
My bud & I stayed in a cheap motel somewhere between N.O. & LaFayette, LA once a few years back. It was bad.
We were both laying in our respective beds after the lights went out and I said:
"Just imagine all the dried bodily secretions we're laying on right now"
He started to moan and wail as if I shot him in the ass with a .22

KA5PIU
01-31-2011, 02:44 AM
Hello.

At one time I might have stayed in one of the aforementioned places.
But when I was sent to NYC in a 3rd rate Valujet and put up in a hotel at the level in question, and asked to "Come over, take thesubway" I decided that I had enough.
"You want to go over the report with me, you come over" was my response.
I was told that, "It might not be safe".
The very next morning I boxed my computer up and shipped it home.
When asked where the all important report was I answered in all honesty that I did not know where it was.
I was terminated.
I get back to Houston, photographs and statements in hand and handed them to my supervisor with copies to the director of safety and the president of the company.
It took Zachry 6 months to conclude that this should never have happened.
I went back, again, as a crane operator, but not before I was promised "No more rewards", a promise that was quickly broken.
I am no longer the soft spoken friendly construction worker.
If placed in an office setting I am a total Alpha Hotel.
If advised ahead of time by a few hours I load up on beans .
And, I get more money.

N2CHX
01-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Yikes! #7 is just a few miles from where I live.

KC2UGV
01-31-2011, 10:12 AM

That's what I was saying... Now, my goal is to go there and rent a room for the night. Then, I can tell all the ghost hunters here that the place is haunted! Of course, I'll charge $65 per night (Not including room rental of $25 per hour :lol: )

N2NH
01-31-2011, 01:42 PM

#4 is a Times Square fixture and a relic from the 40s-50s that has managed to survive even in Times Disney. The Hotel is always named after Democratic Presidents (he somehow missed Clinton) and I don't know if that's to honor them or to cast mud on them.

kb2vxa
02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Number 10 comes as no surprise, the cities of Newark and Elizabeth and the airport which straddles both are infested with rodents and bugs from A to Z, the two legged ones are no picnic either. Ten years ago I loaded the VXAmobile, drove off into the sunset and never looked back. The Rolling stones stayed at number 4, also no surprise.

To live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough!
You got rats on the west side
Bed bugs uptown
What a mess this town's in tatters I've been shattered
My brain's been battered, splattered all over Manhattan
Uh-huh, this town's full of money grabbers
Go ahead, bite the Big Apple, don't mind the maggots, huh

W4RLR
02-03-2011, 08:54 PM
My bud & I stayed in a cheap motel somewhere between N.O. & LaFayette, LA once a few years back. It was bad.
We were both laying in our respective beds after the lights went out and I said:
"Just imagine all the dried bodily secretions we're laying on right now"
He started to moan and wail as if I shot him in the ass with a .22I stayed in a hotel like that once. There was a plumbing problem so I called the front desk.

Me:"Hi, I got a leak in my sink."
Front Desk:"Go right ahead!"

HUGH
02-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Don't ever look at the mattress!

kb2vxa
02-04-2011, 11:49 PM
"Don't ever look at the mattress!"

n2ize
02-05-2011, 09:48 PM
There are dives and then there are dives. Including some "hotels" that are not even registered as "hotels". Plenty of hookers outside and plenty of small rooms inside for catching various diseases. Absolutely disgusting.

W1GUH
02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Don't ever look at the mattress!

Especially with a blacklight!