w2amr
01-28-2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jps0_2adUvo&feature=player_embedded

NQ6U
01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
I love that sort of stuff.

N4VGB
01-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Interesting ad popup in that youtube video: "Date Pretty Chinese Girl". Strange idea of "rapid frequency changes" and means of bandswitching! There was nothing "rapid" about changing frequencies in the same band even, much less large moves.

At 5:20 into the video they're handling the oscillator units used, worst POS you can imagine. Completely useless for amateurs, only used to hold the crystal option usually. They can be completely rebuilt using modern parts of different values than the original and they work.

The original civilian HT-4 model must be a rare bird, I've only seen one in my life.

w2amr
01-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Interesting ad popup in that youtube video: "Date Pretty Chinese Girl". Strange idea of "rapid frequency changes" and means of bandswitching! There was nothing "rapid" about changing frequencies in the same band even, much less large moves.

At 5:20 into the video they're handling the oscillator units used, worst POS you can imagine. Completely useless for amateurs, only used to hold the crystal option usually. They can be completely rebuilt using modern parts of different values than the original and they work.

The original civilian HT-4 model must be a rare bird, I've only seen one in my life.
Wouldn't you like to put on of those on E Pay? $75.000? Sorry, reserve not met.:shock:

N4VGB
01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Wouldn't you like to put on of those on E Pay? $75.000? Sorry, reserve not met.:shock:

George, I dunno if the original HT-4 would bring huge bucks or not? It sure has a lot of competition from all those war surplus BC-610s still today. I still see some BC-610s listed for sale on a fairly regular basis and even more of the T-368s. I'm sure there are a few of the collector types that would desire an original HT-4 but I'm not sure how much they'd be willing to pay out for one? All the boat anchors are a bit down in price these days, there's a T-368F model on the 'BC-610_T-368' group email reflector right now with an asking price of $1K on it, I'm guessing a little horse trader haggling would bring that down?

But I do know that a Johnson 500 would create a feeding frenzy on eBay!:whistle:

w2amr
01-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Wasn't Fair radio selling T-3's for a couple hundred bucks a few years back? I haven't been following prices, but would think they are like gold now. I guess a nice T368F for a grand isn't a bad deal.

Nah, I'm gonna hang on to the 500 for a while. People will just have to wait for my estate sale. :lol:

N4VGB
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Wasn't Fair radio selling T-3's for a couple hundred bucks a few years back? I haven't been following prices, but would think they are like gold now. I guess a nice T368F for a grand isn't a bad deal.

Nah, I'm gonna hang on to the 500 for a while. People will just have to wait for my estate sale. :lol:

Way back when I first got interested in one it was listed in their catalog for $400, BUT there was quite the range of condition upon arriving there and inspecting. One of the employees tipped me off that the crates at the very back against the wall were brand new unused ones. So he got the forklift and moved a bunch of them out of the way for me. First crate I dropped the front down on was a sparkling new B&W E model with all the original paperwork packets and tags still attached. I took it.

You wouldn't believe how many BC-610s and T-368s were sitting around in varying states of being dismantled for parts sales!:vomit:

Fair Radio was an unbelieveable place back then. They even had some HUGE military xmitters then. Collins 208U-3s and 10s and many others I'd never heard of before. It was all a bit overwhelming.:hand:

w2amr
01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Way back when I first got interested in one it was listed in their catalog for $400, BUT there was quite the range of condition upon arriving there and inspecting. One of the employees tipped me off that the crates at the very back against the wall were brand new unused ones. So he got the forklift and moved a bunch of them out of the way for me. First crate I dropped the front down on was a sparkling new B&W E model with all the original paperwork packets and tags still attached. I took it.

A brand new E model?:drool: Damn, do you still have it?

N4VGB
01-28-2011, 04:26 PM
A brand new E model?:drool: Damn, do you still have it?

Yep and you can slide the drawers out and it's still got a shiny chassis!:-D