PDA

View Full Version : Going From FiOS to Optimum

n2ize
01-26-2011, 04:10 PM
I was just talking to my dad. He currently has FiOS service at his house. FiOS delivers fiber optic service directly to the house. The service is consistent, rarely goes down, and delivers consistent speeds at al times. He was showing me an offer he recently got from optimum and, since it's cheaper he's thinking of switching. I told him that I don;t think it's a good idea, that overall i think that a fiber optic connection directly to the house is about the best way you can go. I don;t think it would make much sense to switch to coax. But my Dad doesn't think in technical terms, he only looks at dollars and cents and bargains. So, anyone have any ideas ? Is Optimum as good as FiOS ? Would it make sense to switch from fiber optic service to coax via Optimum ? Are there any convincing arguments that can be made as far as why you shouldn't switch ?

KC2UGV
01-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Does he use all of that speed? If not, then depending on price point, it might be worth it.

n2ize
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Does he use all of that speed? If not, then depending on price point, it might be worth it.

Well, he has a network at home (I live upstairs and I maintain it) and it's not uncommon to be watching streaming movies on two or more computers while someone else is doing a large download while someone else is using VoIP all the while experiencing no bottlnecks or problems. Can Optimum deliver the bandwidth on a consistent round the clock basis ? Also, how are Optimums upload speeds. I'd imagine like most services they are asymetric.

There are other technical reasons I would think running fibre would be advantageous. I'd imagine it would be less prone to RFI... good thing to consider when I throw down a few hundred watts of rf a few feet away from the overhead drop line to the house.

What I am trying to get across to him is not to rush to make a switch. To consider the various technical rammifications, advantages, and disadvantaged BEFORE making a decision. The trouble with him is that he'll see a low price that looks tempting and he'll lunge for it like a hungry fish... before first making sure its food and not a hook. I am also suggesting he look into whether he can get a better deal from Verizon. Since the ONT, power supply, routers, etc. are already in place he should look into what they may offer. I am sure they don;t want to lose customers. He should also ask neighbors who use Optimum. Find out how the service is, frequency of outages, etc. So far we've had FiOS for 5 years and we've had only one outage related to Verizon... when a local hub crapped out. The only other time we experienced an outage was related to a wide area network problem which was beyond the Verizon network.

NQ6U
01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Fiber is generally the best available option; however, I don't really know what Optimum is. If it's a CATV-provided service, then I can tell you right of the bat that sticking with FiOS is the thing to do, especially the way you use it in your house. CATV modems aren't bad (it's what I've got, although that's because my only other option here is ADSL, which sucks) but they are a shared resource. All it would take to bog things down is someone else who's sharing your node to be streaming a movie and you will notice the difference.

n2ize
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Fiber is generally the best available option; however, I don't really know what Optimum is. If it's a CATV-provided service, then I can tell you right of the bat that sticking with FiOS is the thing to do, especially the way you use it in your house. CATV modems aren't bad (it's what I've got, although that's because my only other option here is ADSL, which sucks) but they are a shared resource. All it would take to bog things down is someone else who's sharing your node to be streaming a movie and you will notice the difference.

Optimum IS a cable tv service. I personally think sticking with FiOS is a better option. Particularly since the principal interest around here lies in Internet services as opposed to TV . Even if I have to tell him to just charge it to my account so that way he wont have to worry about the price I think sticking with fiber is the preferable option. In the meantime I'm going to inquire with Verizon. Perhaps I can subscribe to a different package that costs less. I am sure Verizon doesn't want to lose customers.

I also notice that the Optimum ad they sent talks mostly about TV and they say very little about Internet other than it comes bundled. They say nothing about up/down bandwidth, etc.

I will admit I am also somewhat predjudiced. In my dealings with CAV companies in the past I have found them to be pretty sleazy. This is not to say that Verizon is anything to write home about either, but my experiennces with CATV companies has been far worst.

lastly, whenever I look at any ad or sales pitch I always remember, it;s not so much about what they tell you as it is about what they DON'T tell you. I'd advise anyone who is contemplating buying something based on a sales pitch to roll that philosophy around a bit.

KJ3N
01-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm biased (we already have FiOS and the XYL is a Verizon retiree), but I think it would be a bad move to leave FiOS. I had enough dealings with Comcast to last me a lifetime.

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Personally I'd stick with the FIOS. If we could get it out where I am, we'd have it. Unfortunately we're stuck with Time Warner for now.

W2NAP
01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
stick with FiOS

W3WN
01-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Talk with Verizon. Specifically, the local office. They often have access to unadvertised specials and discounts, ones you won't find out about online or from a regional office.

KA5PIU
01-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Hello.

Went from cable to DSL.
DSL is much better.
FiOS has its advantage but the interface is powered by the subscriber.
With DSL and POTS, the landline portion is powered by the CO, everything else is powered by the subscriber.
Connection of a physical pair as well as the VoIP and setting the ATA up as a copy of the landline number gives you 2 extra lines at no added monthly cost.
DSL is under $20 a month.
A basic physical connection is under $20 a month, and they will let you have the VoIP with DSL.
So, for $40 a month I have 3 phone lines, and internet.
For nothing but the hardware I have another phone line.
http://www.sipgate.com/one
For nothing I have still another number.
www.google.com/voice

n6hcm
01-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Talk with Verizon. Specifically, the local office. They often have access to unadvertised specials and discounts, ones you won't find out about online or from a regional office.

this. have the deal in hand when you call.

(but, honestly, if i could have FiOS then i'd have it. right now i'm looking at a local wisp instead: they seem to be clueful and they seem to have the bandwidth ... (http://www.monkeybrains.net))

n2ize
01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I opt to stick with FiOS. The service has been consistent, reliable, and virtually no down time. Streaming content works fine with no noticeable degradation of performance, even if several machines are streaming or downloading content simultaneously + handling VoIP traffic. This is what I'm trying to get across to my Dad, particularly since he is always watching streaming content. Why jump from fiber to coax service that may not be nearly as good.

KA5PIU
01-28-2011, 12:43 AM
I opt to stick with FiOS. The service has been consistent, reliable, and virtually no down time. Streaming content works fine with no noticeable degradation of performance, even if several machines are streaming or downloading content simultaneously + handling VoIP traffic. This is what I'm trying to get across to my Dad, particularly since he is always watching streaming content. Why jump from fiber to coax service that may not be nearly as good.

Hello.

Have him install cable and NOT disconnect FiOS.
Explain that this would be a trial between the services.
If cable works out, great.
But if it is a failure than you keep what you have and cut the cable.
First thing I would do is to see what kind of special Verizon has, as was pointed out, seek out the local office.
Next, confirm that the cable deal is for real and not some 6 month teaser.

n2ize
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Hello.

Have him install cable and NOT disconnect FiOS.
Explain that this would be a trial between the services.
If cable works out, great.
But if it is a failure than you keep what you have and cut the cable.
First thing I would do is to see what kind of special Verizon has, as was pointed out, seek out the local office.
Next, confirm that the cable deal is for real and not some 6 month teaser.

I don't think my dad is going to switch to Optimum any time soon after all. My Mom likes FiOS and that pretty much settles the issue. :)

I do think they can save money by changing the service plan. I told them to contact the local office. Also, the are using Vonage for the phone service. The service is excellent but they can probably save money going to a cheaper plan. Or, switching to one of those free phone services.

KA5PIU
02-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Hello.

If you are going to stick with ONLY VoIP, at this point stick with Vonage, they have some of the best service around.
I keep a land line for the very reason that VoIP is not where I want it to be.
I can pick up the land line and place a call, no question about it.
I do not need power to run anything, just an old Bell 2500 telephone.
It is not about saving money, it is about being able to communicate under nearly any condition there is.
The rest, like VoIP are nice, and I run repeater links off the internet, but when it comes right down to it, a major power failure and the web is dead within 30 minutes, proven fact.