PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a job interview

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 08:47 AM
I posted this in Rumpus because "General Chat" is now open to the public.

Got an interview with an electronics company this afternoon. It's a really well-paying gig, like better than I did at Entercom. It requires some travel around the country and possibly the world though, so that puts me off a bit, but I really need a job, so......

Anyway, this is the first interview in like 100 resume's thrown out there. It's also the second position with this company I've applied for. The first one, they told me they never received my resume and cover letter, to which I'm kinda scratching my head, but the first time I applied I wasn't really following up because I wasn't looking very hard.

To be quite honest, I'm nervous as hell....

PA5COR
01-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Jobs are not much floating around, so if you can get better pay and gett to travel... why not?
I did the same at 35 to 52, as pipefitter/TIG welder travelling all over Europe for good money.
Married, 1 kid, it all comes down to be able to pay the bills and the toys we want to have.
Then you have the choice to do that, save up for the rainy days or early retirement.

Don't be affraid for a challenge, who knows what good will come out of it ;)

w3bny
01-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Deep breath kiddo... Be honest and give them your best! You will do fine. Good luck and keep us informed!

WØTKX
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Kelli, a job like that may be a real PITA, but if it brings in the $$$ for you and your family... good gawd goferit!

And remember, it's likely to require some very sincere gamesmanship and acting skills. Please don't get mad at any stupids, and you'll do fine. You're too smart for your own good, keep a straight face and skillfully deflecting nonsense yadig? Answer open ended BS questions with a question of your own that gives the impression of agreement. Doing this in a positive and engaged happy manner disarms the crap, telling an enemy that you love them is an extreme example of the power in this. Say what you mean, rupture nobody's spleen. Why do I give you this advice?

Number one, you deserve a good job. Number two, I have similar problems in a working environment. Reptile brains that get in the way, by creating unwarranted competitiveness and pettiness that shuck profits and the very life out organizations. Even in a good group of folks, there is always one, isn't there? We have a lot in common... too damn smart for our own good. Am I wrong? :dunno:

And I mean that as a friend, dammya! :mrgreen:

I would like to find something else someday, and being blessed with a job already makes the hunt easier. Unfair, but true.
This would never work, my inclination is to go to every interview and produce this book at some point:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zZ2zy8YQqBI/TJ6Fv2ma_zI/AAAAAAAAACw/Ghai7lYXHAA/s1600/no+asshole+rule+large.jpg

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Jobs are not much floating around, so if you can get better pay and gett to travel... why not?
I did the same at 35 to 52, as pipefitter/TIG welder travelling all over Europe for good money.
Married, 1 kid, it all comes down to be able to pay the bills and the toys we want to have.
Then you have the choice to do that, save up for the rainy days or early retirement.

Don't be affraid for a challenge, who knows what good will come out of it ;)

Well, I have a good arrangement with my children that I don't want to ruin. But I talked to my ex this morning and we're good with changing things around so I have them when I'm home.

Deep breath kiddo... Be honest and give them your best! You will do fine. Good luck and keep us informed!

:) Thanks. I am sure going to try.

Kelli, a job like that may be a real PITA, but if it brings in the $$$ for you and your family... good gawd goferit!

And remember, it's likely to require some very sincere gamesmanship and acting skills. Please don't get mad at any stupids, and you'll do fine. You're too smart for your own good, keep a straight face and skillfully deflecting nonsense yadig? Answer open ended BS questions with a question of your own that gives the impression of agreement. Doing this in a positive and engaged happy manner disarms the crap, telling an enemy that you love them is an extreme example of the power in this. Say what you mean, rupture nobody's spleen. Why do I give you this advice?

Number one, you deserve a good job. Number two, I have similar problems in a working environment. Reptile brains that get in the way, by creating unwarranted competitiveness and pettiness that shuck profits and the very life out organizations. Even in a good group of folks, there is always one, isn't there? We have a lot in common... too damn smart for our own good. Am I wrong? :dunno:

And I mean that as a friend, dammya! :mrgreen:

I would like to find something else someday, and being blessed with a job already makes the hunt easier. Unfair, but true.
This would never work, my inclination is to go to every interview and produce this book at some point:

Well, fortunately it seems that most of this job is working alone, which I like. People do tend to annoy me. Even this kid I hired here, though I like him, is annoying. He's now either shown up late or asked me if he could come in late three times, two of which messed up my schedule. Anyway.... I'm going to try very hard just to do my job and not get too emotional over anything.

You guys rock, thank you for the encouragement!

NQ6U
01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Kelli, I understand how you feel. I've been unemployed for almost a year now and just recently, after a long talk with the XYL, I had to bite the bullet and apply for an OTR driving job with a local company. Out four days, home three, which is bad but not as bad as being out for 28 days straight like I used to do. I said I'd never go OTR again if I could help it but I never predicted I'd be out of work for so long, either. A lot of us are having to take jobs we'd rather not take right now.

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Kelli, I understand how you feel. I've been unemployed for almost a year now and just recently, after a long talk with the XYL, I had to bite the bullet and apply for an OTR driving job with a local company. Out four days, home three, which is bad but not as bad as being out for 28 days straight like I used to do. I said I'd never go OTR again if I could help it but I never predicted I'd be out of work for so long, either. A lot of us are having to take jobs we'd rather not take right now.

I hear you. Kinda like this sales job. The pay sucks but it's something.

On the bright side, if I'm traveling all over the country I'll have the opportunity to meet some of you in person, I am sure. THAT I definitely look forward to.

KC9ECI
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Good luck. If you get it and your travels bring you up this way, stop by and I'll buy you a cheap beer.

NQ6U
01-26-2011, 11:29 AM
I hear you. Kinda like this sales job. The pay sucks but it's something.

On the bright side, if I'm traveling all over the country I'll have the opportunity to meet some of you in person, I am sure. THAT I definitely look forward to.

Well, if you get to San Diego, let me know! If I'm not on the road, we'll meet up for sure.

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Good luck. If you get it and your travels bring you up this way, stop by and I'll buy you a cheap beer.

Well, if you get to San Diego, let me know! If I'm not on the road, we'll meet up for sure.

I definitely look forward to this possibility. I do prefer Cherry Coke/Pepsi over beer however :lol:

NQ6U
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I definitely look forward to this possibility. I do prefer Cherry Coke/Pepsi over beer however :lol:

So you're a cheap date--even better! ;)

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 11:37 AM
So you're a cheap date--even better! ;)

I'm a really cheap date, yes. :lmao:

WØTKX
01-26-2011, 11:40 AM

Huh? I mistook you for a "Moxie Girl"!

http://www.antiquebottles.com/rl/tc/Moxie.jpg

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 11:50 AM

http://www.antiquebottles.com/rl/tc/Moxie.jpg

If this was 1900, I'd definitely be a Moxie girl lol

KC9ECI
01-26-2011, 12:01 PM
In that case, I know the perfect place to get a cherry coke. http://www.yelp.com/biz/pearl-ice-cream-parlor-and-confectionery-la-crosse

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 12:17 PM
In that case, I know the perfect place to get a cherry coke. http://www.yelp.com/biz/pearl-ice-cream-parlor-and-confectionery-la-crosse

Sounds good!

N8YX
01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Cherry Coke + Bacardi 151 = :yum:

Congrats on the job offer. Probably not much field work in little ol' Acorn, but if you do happen to get over here 'DSG and myself will be glad to show you around our local haunts.

w3bny
01-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Mmmm...Moxie....Maine swampwater and a very acquired taste. I kinda like it.

ORLY. Never been a cherry coke person but the addition of Puerto Rican rocket fuel does have my attention.

KC9ECI
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Rum makes everything better.

WØTKX
01-26-2011, 01:55 PM
If this was 1900, I'd definitely be a Moxie girl lol

That dress needs a Prairie Gothic patterned fabric... :neener:

http://dawandaimages.s3.amazonaws.com/Product/3095/3095974/long/1236764141-533.jpg

KG4CGC
01-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Hope everything works out. Sometimes getting thrown out of your comfort zone is what a person needs.

NA4BH
01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Good luck Kelli

W5GA
01-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Hope you land it, Kelli!

KJ3N
01-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Cherry Coke + Southern Comfort = :yum:

Cherry Coke + DiSaronno = :yum:

NA4BH
01-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Cherry Coke + Southern Comfort = :yum:

Cherry Coke + DiSaronno = :yum:

Iced Tea + Southern Comfort = Poor mans Long Island Tea

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Well... The interview went fantastic. I believe I will get the job. They did ask electronics questions, all of which I rattled off the answers to rather quickly. Some of the gear I'd be working on uses the same or similar ceramic power tubes a lot of transmitters I've worked on use. They seemed really happy with me. I definitely came away from the interview feeling good.

I'll keep you posted.

NQ6U
01-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Well... The interview went fantastic. I believe I will get the job. They did ask electronics questions, all of which I rattled off the answers to rather quickly. Some of the gear I'd be working on uses the same or similar ceramic power tubes a lot of transmitters I've worked on use. They seemed really happy with me. I definitely came away from the interview feeling good.

I'll keep you posted.

That's great, Kelli! I'm sending waves of persuasion in the general direction of Buffalo as I type...

WØTKX
01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
High powered medical gear? :chin:

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
High powered medical gear? :chin:

Pretty much.

N2CHX
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
That's great, Kelli! I'm sending waves of persuasion in the general direction of Buffalo as I type...

:) Thank you!

NA4BH
01-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Seimens CT Scanners :yes:

N2NH
01-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Just saw this thread. Good luck Kelli.

n6hcm
01-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Seimens CT Scanners :yes:

now, if it were siemens MR scanners then you might be out my way (we have two in our lab, and are about to install two more).

hope it all works out.

W3WN
01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Sorry I missed the thread last night Kell. Glad to hear you did well on the interview. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

The boss had an interview with a small company on the other side of downtown the other day. It was supposed to last an hour, it went for over 2-1/2 hours. Unfortunately, they told her this afternoon that she didn't get the position; they really, really liked her, but they went with the person with experience in the field. Nertz.

n6hcm
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
The boss had an interview ...

tis the season for that, it seems. my boss' "funding ran out" and he's looking for a new gig, but i think i'm looking harder for him than he is ...

HUGH
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
http://1800hotels.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/istock_000001037620xsmall.jpg

N2CHX
01-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Well, I got the second interview! Got the call this afternoon -- I'm to meet with the Executive VP of Op. as soon as possible. They even used the words "anxious to see you again." in the message they left on my phone.

Woot!

n6hcm
01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
that's so awesome! i hope this turns out to be a good match for you ...

W3WN
01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Well, I got the second interview! Got the call this afternoon -- I'm to meet with the Executive VP of Op. as soon as possible. They even used the words "anxious to see you again." in the message they left on my phone.

Woot!That's great news!

W3WN
01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
tis the season for that, it seems. my boss' "funding ran out" and he's looking for a new gig, but i think I'm looking harder for him than he is ...
I heard that line once.

Few years back, I had a call from the History Center -- they were looking for a network admin -- in response to my resume, one November. All sounded glowing. The HR person were setting up a phone first interview for the following Friday evening at 7. Sat by the phone from 6:30 to 9 -- no call. No nothing. HR person didn't return my calls, either.

Two frakkin months later, HR calls back... am I still interested? I asked what happened. She told me their funding had run out for the position, so there was a hiring freeze. I'm thinking (a) you could still have told me that, and (b) what happens when the funding runs out again, hmmm? I'd already accepted my current position -- I was to start the following week -- so I politely declined.

When I told her where I was about to start, she told me that I had accepted a better job anyway... but since I was working a few blocks away, I was welcome to come eat lunch in the cafeteria, it was open to the public. Nice.

N5RLR
01-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Good luck on the second interview, Kelli. I think Dallas may have a few(!) examples of what you'll be working with. And you may just get a nice German dinner, hint. :-D

NA4BH
01-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Siemens.................

w6tmi
01-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Gratz, and good luck.

And if you get this way.. I'll buy ya a.. (insert cheap drink here)

My old rum fav used to be Diet Dr Pepper and Cap'n Morgan. The spice, mixed well with the.. well OTHER spice.

Anyway.. yeah g'luck.

NQ6U
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Woot indeed! Good luck, Kelli!

W5GA
01-28-2011, 05:57 PM
WOOT!!!
Knock 'em dead!

N2CHX
02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Got a call today. As long as my references check out (and they will) I have a new job. Woot!

KG4CGC
02-08-2011, 06:39 PM
w00t!

NQ6U
02-08-2011, 07:07 PM
w00t!!

W5GA
02-08-2011, 09:48 PM
So, have you gotten "the call" yet? Inquiring minds and all that...

suddenseer
02-08-2011, 10:28 PM
WOOOOOT!!!!!

W3WN
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Got a call today. As long as my references check out (and they will) I have a new job. Woot!
Congrats!:agree::rock::cheers::plusone:

W4RLR
02-09-2011, 03:55 AM
Drinks are on Kelli!

ki4itv
02-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Congratulations!
:clap:

KC2UGV
02-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Congrajubulations!

WV6Z
02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Congrats Kelli! I have my fingers crossed that I will be chosen out of the masses for either one of two positions that I have been working on to reduce my commute to near or at single digit status!

KJ3N
02-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Drinks are on Kelli!

Slippery Nipple? I'll have 2. :lol:

N2CHX
02-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Just an update....

The company came through with an offer today. It's not as much as I would have liked, but I'm taking it. The benefits are really good though, even though I won't be using the health insurance. I'm pretty psyched. It was a nice Valentines Day present. My kids also all got grades in at least the 90's this semester again (my son in 7th grade has a 95.5 average, my daughter in 6th grade has a 96.6 average and my daughter in 4th grade had mostly A's), so we celebrated new job, good grades and V-Day by going out to dinner.

NA4BH
02-14-2011, 10:15 PM
EXCELLENT !!!!!

NQ6U
02-14-2011, 10:19 PM
w00t!

KG4CGC
02-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Kick one for the Gipper!

n6hcm
02-15-2011, 04:06 AM
so fucking awesome to hear some good news this year ... yay!

N2CHX
02-15-2011, 04:37 AM
so fucking awesome to hear some good news this year ... yay!

I'm happy! More good stuff on the horizon too. A $13,000 loan will be paid off in May, giving us another $300+ a month to work with. Another loan for $7k will be paid off a few months after that, freeing up another $130+ a month, and I will only have to deal with my ex for another year and I am done with THAT shit for the rest of my life. 2011/12 is looking to be the best years of my life so far lol.

W3WN
02-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Just an update....

The company came through with an offer today. It's not as much as I would have liked, but I'm taking it. The benefits are really good though, even though I won't be using the health insurance. I'm pretty psyched. It was a nice Valentines Day present. My kids also all got grades in at least the 90's this semester again (my son in 7th grade has a 95.5 average, my daughter in 6th grade has a 96.6 average and my daughter in 4th grade had mostly A's), so we celebrated new job, good grades and V-Day by going out to dinner.Congrats!

Who's the company? You can tell us now.

WØTKX
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
2011/12 is looking to be the best years of my life so far lol.

A sure sign of the end times. I kid, I kid! :mrgreen:

N2CHX
02-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Congrats!

Who's the company? You can tell us now.

Oh heck no. I trust you guys, it's the idiot lurkers from a certain other site I don't trust. One person in particular already said outright that they would fuck up my real estate career when I got my license. Not going to risk my livelihood to no-life asshats who sit on their ass all day and have nothing better to do than fuck with people.

A sure sign of the end times. I kid, I kid! :mrgreen:

LOL!

PA5COR
02-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Congrats Girl.
Keep it quiet for the spoilsports.

;)

n2ize
02-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Well, I work for the Illuminati. Good pay, good benefits, steady work, clean work environment, plenty of vacation time, and you get to meet some of the most influential people in this world...and other worlds.

W3WN
02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, I work for the Illuminati. Good pay, good benefits, steady work, clean work environment, plenty of vacation time, and you get to meet some of the most influential people in this world...and other worlds.
That explains a lot. I should have known.

Say "hi" to Elvis & L.Ron for us!

WV6Z
02-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Oh heck no. I trust you guys, it's the idiot lurkers from a certain other site I don't trust. One person in particular already said outright that they would fuck up my real estate career when I got my license. Not going to risk my livelihood to no-life asshats who sit on their ass all day and have nothing better to do than fuck with people.

I have, and now I am enjoying, a new gig, in the town that I live. Over the past six months I managed to cut my my commute down from 128 miles to 68 and now down to a 14 miles round trip. I am tickled so poopless that we have officially cut back 33% on toilet paper in a three person household. I may never shit again! No time for coffee, listening to a whole song on the radio and by the time I get home tomorrow, I just might manage to get down to 3/4 of a 12.5 gallon tank of fuel, when I started the week with a full one.

Life's good! :)

Glad you are enjoying the new gig Kelli........ I am really tickled with mine!