PDA

View Full Version : And yet another thing to worry about...

W1GUH
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
It used to be just comets, meteors, volcanos, earthquakes and stars going super-nova. I wasn't paying much attention, but a show last week said that black holes are wandering around out there. So add those to the list, too. Let's see, that's six low-probility events. What's 6x"low probabiltiy?"

kb2crk
01-24-2011, 02:13 PM
just think about this.
if everyone in china were to pass gas at the same time it could shove the earth into the sun....

N4VGB
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
BUT black holes are thought to be at the center of most spiral galaxies (like the Milky Way we live within). So without the black holes???

In fact the odd shaped galaxies are now thought to be the result of spiral galaxies which collided in the past. The Milky Way and Andromeda are on a collision course that should take place 3-5 billion years from now.

But not to worry, our Sun will have already expanded into it's red giant phase and completely destroyed the Earth long before this collision of galxies takes place.

Now don't you feel better?

W1GUH
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
And it's even been speculated that the solar system was part of another galaxy that collided with the Milky Way. Who know? To paraphrase the words that I heard but paid little attention to, it went something like, "Astronomers used to think that black holes stayed put. Now they've found ones that wander about.

BTW...good to hear from you again, Mack!

Chris
01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
I live on top of one of the most active geologic faults in the US, so I'm not too worried about other things that can potentially whipe us out. Besides, have you seen what it's like to get old? Organs and joints failing, eyes dimming, ears harder to hear. And then there's the bladder issues. So if something comes along and says die with some measure of authority, oh well.

N4VGB
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
And it's even been speculated that the solar system was part of another galaxy that collided with the Milky Way. Who know? To paraphrase the words that I heard but paid little attention to, it went something like, "Astronomers used to think that black holes stayed put. Now they've found ones that wander about.

BTW...good to hear from you again, Mack!

I think most have come to the conclusion that the Milky Way and all other fairly uniform shaped spiral galaxies have not suffered collisions with other galaxies. I see pics on the net of spiral galaxies with obvious deformities and then there are globular galaxies with obvious remnants of spiral galaxies within them.

All the "experts" are having to change their minds on things regularly these days. We're just now starting to have enough space craft out there to actually take accurate enough measurements to know what is moving in which direction and how quickly it's moving.

Of course it's all moot point if you believe in that Mayan calendar thing scheduled for Dec 2012.:lol:

Only time will tell if it's good to be back or not!:ugh::lol:

n2ize
01-24-2011, 03:16 PM
It used to be just comets, meteors, volcanos, earthquakes and stars going super-nova. I wasn't paying much attention, but a show last week said that black holes are wandering around out there. So add those to the list, too. Let's see, that's six low-probility events. What's 6x"low probabiltiy?"

Unlikely to see any of them happen in our lifetimes... and probably for generations to come.

W1GUH
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I live on top of one of the most active geologic faults in the US, so I'm not too worried about other things that can potentially whipe us out. Besides, have you seen what it's like to get old? Organs and joints failing, eyes dimming, ears harder to hear. And then there's the bladder issues. So if something comes along and says die with some measure of authority, oh well.

Guess you at least listen a lot on 75?

W1GUH
01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Unlikely to see any of them happen in our lifetimes... and probably for generations to come.

True...true...but I'm thinking a hell of a lot more probable than actually electing a good president!

N4VGB
01-24-2011, 03:42 PM
True...true...but I'm thinking a hell of a lot more probable than actually electing a good president!

Wrong part of the board.

W1GUH
01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
How many Hail Marys and Our Fathers?

N4VGB
01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
How many Hail Marys and Our Fathers?

20 should be fine, but don't forget the cash contribution required also.

N4VGB
01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Two more worries. Both the Sun and Earth are in the process of magnetic pole reversal of their magnetospheres.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast15feb_1/

http://www.polereversal.com/index.php?Itemid=1&id=22&option=com_content&task=view

It's rock and roll time baby!

KA5PIU
01-24-2011, 04:14 PM
20 should be fine, but don't forget the cash contribution required also.

Hello.

The cash part is what is the important part.

NQ6U
01-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Nothing unusual about the sun's magnetic field reversing, it does that during every solar cycle.

As far as the Earth's magnetic field goes, it's reversed in the past and may do so again in the future but there's no hard evidence to suggest it's likely to happen any time soon. It might flip tomorrow, it might not flip for another 1000 years or more.

N4VGB
01-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Nothing unusual about the sun's magnetic field reversing, it does that during every solar cycle.

As far as the Earth's magnetic field goes, it's reversed in the past and may do so again in the future but there's no hard evidence to suggest it's likely to happen any time soon. It might flip tomorrow, it might not flip for another 1000 years or more.

It's moving now and being tracked. The South Atlantic Anomaly would seem to suggest we're seeing an acceleration of the Earth's pole shift. I have high hopes of living long enough to see the pole shift complete, but I'll be satisfied to just see the results of something like ???, oh say 30-90 degrees.

It's always seemed to me like the most natural progression of the Earth would be to shake itself into a balanced globe, resulting in a water world scenario. All the solid highs and lows leveled out with water covering all the solid matter.

There's one thing for sure, a dramatic shift in the earth's magnetosphere is gonna be exciting!!!

NQ6U
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
That's all speculation. The magnetic poles have never been stable or stationary, they've always been a moving target. The South Atlantic Anomaly is due to the Earth being oblate rather than a perfect sphere. It's existence has nothing to do with the movement of the magnetic poles, although it's location does shift as the poles move around.

N4VGB
01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
That's all speculation. The magnetic poles have never been stable or stationary, they've always been a moving target. The South Atlantic Anomaly is due to the Earth being oblate rather than a perfect sphere. It's existence has nothing to do with the movement of the magnetic poles, although it's location does shift as the poles move around.

Youre really trying to mess up my much hoped for and dreamed of polar shift! Stop it now!:lol:

NQ6U
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
:neener::neener::evil: