PDA

View Full Version : The insane weekend got even more insane

N2CHX
01-24-2011, 07:48 AM
So I dropped my son's friend off and stayed and chatted with his Dad for a while. Came home, made dinner, we sat at the breakfast nook and watched some relatively clean stand-up on CS, then went upstairs to our room and watched another show with the kids on Netflix.

Put the kids to bed and then we went to bed around 11:30. It was about -15F last night so I made sure all the sinks had a little drip going. D woke up at about 2 and yelled "What the HELL is THAT?"

From the nursery room off our bedroom, we heard a rushing sound. FUCK! Room is flooded. Pipe burst. The bathroom next to it is closed because it's being renovated. I thought I had shut off all the water to it but apparently I hadn't.

Came downstairs to find Niagara Falls in the kitchen. Went to the basement to shut off the water and found Niagara Falls in the basement. I frantically started shutting off water. Got it shut off, then noticed as I was cleaning up the mess that it was getting damn cold in the house. The furnace stopped working. The BRAND NEW $10,000 furnace! Water had run into one of the floor vents so I was sure the furnace had been damaged by the water at that point.

D came down to the basement while I was trying to figure the furnace out and I just leaned on him and cried my eyes out. Then I had a realization. In my half-awake, frantic state, I might have shut off a gas valve by accident. Sure enough, I had. Cranked one valve back on and the furnace came back to life. Was VERY thankful for that anyway.

Mopped up as much as I could, turned the oven on 500 degrees and closed the kitchen doors so it would dry out from the oven heat. Then D and I went up to the 3rd floor and smoked two HUGE doobs and went back to bed.

The cats knew something was amiss so they started going apeshit about 4 AM and wouldn't stop. Came down this morning to assess the damage and it's minimal. Everything is almost dried already and there are some mineral stains on the wood and that's it. The brunt of the damage was to D's stuff stored in the nursery room.

But what a fucking night..... :ugh:

PA5COR
01-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Sh*t happens, hope you are insured?
Watermains here come in the house 3 1/2 feet deep underground, and everything under the floor is isolated, very well i may say...
No water faucets out of the house, just indoors, double brick wall 2 feet thick with 7 inches isolation in between, double glazed windows all through the house, isolated attic and temperatures in the house never go lower as + 10 Celcius even if we don't heat the house.

Natural gas use about 1000 cubic meters to heat, shower and cook a year.
All 3 floors, ground, 1st and attic usable floorspace 33 x 25 feet all heated.

Temperatures here go from + 35 degrees C to - 23 degrees C summer/winter...

w3bny
01-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Holy crap. Hopefully it will work out and you get the burst fixed.

N2CHX
01-24-2011, 09:06 AM
It's a small split in the hot water pipe just before it goes into the tub faucet. The whole bathroom is getting gutted anyway so no big deal as far as that goes. This is the second time this same pipe burst. The first time I ever saw the inside of this house the kitchen was flooded way worse than this. Thankfully it's made of excellent wood so it didn't really do any damage.

ki4itv
01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Fans. Get some fans in there and make sure the flooring is completely dry. MOVING air is your best friend when it comes to water damage like that.

BTW, you and D handled it the same way I would have. Mellow out and wait for first light to do a better survey. :lol:

KC2UGV
01-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Well, it's a good thing you had the materials for the calm afterwards :) Sorry to hear... But, at least you had the sense to wait for the calm after the storm to take survey.

N8YX
01-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Had that same scenario occur years ago in our upstairs bathroom. Took the morning off work to repair the damage. It got down to -20, IIRC.

w3bny
01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Fans. Get some fans in there and make sure the flooring is completely dry. MOVING air is your best friend when it comes to water damage like that.

BTW, you and D handled it the same way I would have. Mellow out and wait for first light to do a better survey. :lol:

I agree fans and a de-humidifier iffin you got one.

N2CHX
01-24-2011, 10:43 AM
No dehumidifier but since it's January and about -10 degrees out it's already as dry as 90 year old vag anyway. I do have fans. And with the oven on I can get the kitchen to about 90 degrees. That's with the oven door closed, of course.

w3bny
01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
it's already as dry as 90 year old vag anyway...

I...I...uhh...I wouldnt know...p.s. TMI :lol:

N8YX
01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I...I...uhh...I wouldnt know...p.s. TMI :lol:
Duo Glide.
Electra Glide.
Super Glide.
Tour Glide.
Road Glide.
Sport Glide.
Astroglide.

It's a veritable Harley-Davidson world!

KC9ECI
01-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Duo Glide.
Tour Glide.
It's a veritable Harley-Davidson world!

Took my road test on a 1980 with expired plates after the examiner had refused to let me take it on my Sporty with no baffles.

NQ6U
01-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Something similar happened to me once. The house we were living in at the time had one of those old-fashioned pedestal lavatory sinks with separate faucets for hot and cold water and our bedroom was downstairs directly beneath it. One night (while the father-in-law was visiting of course) we heard a bang and the sound of rushing water. Seconds later, water came dripping down from the ceiling onto our bed. I ran upstairs and saw that one of the taps had blown right off the sink. I tried to turn the water at the angle stop but I couldn't get it to turn! Luckily, it was the hot water tap that had blown off so I ran into the kitchen where the water heater was and turned it off there. I turned around and my father in law was standing right behind me. "Nice job," he said, making no mention of the fact that I was bare-ass naked...

KA5PIU
01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Hello.

The old man who built this house was really into valves, now I know why.
There is a valve right after the city valve.
There is another right as the main comes into the basement.
Another set that goes to the floors, in the basement, one for each floor.
At each floor is a shutoff as well as a shutoff on everything.
The water heater has 3 valves, 2 shutoff and one bypass, why I have no idea.

Chris
01-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Something similar happened to me once. The house we were living in at the time had one of those old-fashioned pedestal lavatory sinks with separate faucets for hot and cold water and our bedroom was downstairs directly beneath it. One night (while the father-in-law was visiting of course) we heard a bang and the sound of rushing water. Seconds later, water came dripping down from the ceiling onto our bed. I ran upstairs and saw that one of the taps had blown right off the sink. I tried to turn the water at the angle stop but I couldn't get it to turn! Luckily, it was the hot water tap that had blown off so I ran into the kitchen where the water heater was and turned it off there. I turned around and my father in law was standing right behind me. "Nice job," he said, making no mention of the fact that I was bare-ass naked...

what? not even the wet towel slap??