PDA

View Full Version : Haggis

HUGH
01-24-2011, 07:08 AM
I hope you Scots descendants have managed to procure a Haggis as tomorrow is Burns Night. Knowing that the importation of meat products to the USA is strictly controlled and anything containing sheep's lungs is banned, perhaps the nice Canadians have been able to smuggle some in for you. Eating haggis hasn't done the Scots any harm but items with lungs and liver may be distasteful to many Americans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12261123

I hope you can find the link OK, my new thread went tits-up when I entered it,
here's another:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8480795.stm

N9FE
01-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Hugh I've ate Real pig head cheeze, Blood sausage, Real duck blood soup, And many other items that are not on a normal menu. I've allways wanted to try Haggis. Looks good to me.

W3MIV
01-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Ummm... I'll pass, but thanks just the same.

suddenseer
01-24-2011, 07:46 AM
I did not realize until much later how lucky I can be. When I was single my Scottish room mate invited me to a Burn's Supper at the Gaelic Society near Dayton, Ohio. I was an outsider, and did not appreciate the ritual. There was much drinking of single malt scots whiskey before the event. I was mixing counties. The leaders were dressed in kilts, and bow ties. You could smell the food cooking in the kitchen. Then everyone stood up, and the leader carried out the main dish. He was followed by a guy playing (not very good) bagpipes. They read some poetry of Robert Burns, and then the head guy started jabbering in Gaelic ( I assume). I had no idea what they were saying.

I had imbibed in about 6 shots of very good scots whiskey by the time our table was served. I ate the haggis, and whatever the sides where. I was NOT told what was in it. My roomy told me the next day it was sheep lungs, and other parts. I actually liked it. I have to be tricked into eating anything unusual to the American diet. I still do not understand the infatuation with the poetry of Robert Burns is. The ritual seemed like a religious event.

w3bny
01-24-2011, 08:59 AM
You can get a haggis in the U.S. Just not a traditional one made with the traditional sheepie parts (legally anyhow)

HUGH
01-24-2011, 10:48 AM
There are always poor versions of national ceremonies unless you're in the country of origin. I dislike green dye poured into my beer on St Patrick's day for example, it doesn't happen in Ireland.

w3bny
01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
There are always poor versions of national ceremonies unless you're in the country of origin. I dislike green dye poured into my beer on St Patrick's day for example, it doesn't happen in Ireland.

From what I understand....On St. Patrick's day in Ireland, they go to Mass

KC2UGV
01-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I love haggis :) I get to get mine from a Gourmet shop here... I've not told the wife what's in it either :lol:

NQ6U
01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Seems like I read just recently that the U.S. has lifted the previous restrictions on importing haggis.

kc7jty
01-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm 50% Scott (father was born in suburb of Glasgow). Never had haggis, & from what I know of the Scotties (pop included) they have no taste.

W3MIV
01-25-2011, 06:50 AM
I'm 50% Scott (father was born in suburb of Glasgow). Never had haggis, & from what I know of the Scotties (pop included) they have no taste.

Agree. Worse even than Ireland.

W1GUH
01-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Agree. Worse even than Ireland.

But they can't possibly have anything as bad as lutefisk?

W3MIV
01-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Actually, I like salt cod (I have a box in the icebox right now, in fact), but wouldn't touch lutefisk with YOUR ten-foot pole. It is a gelatinous mass with a texture that cannot be described -- only experienced. Anyone who can imagine fish-flavored Jello, and think they might like it, ought to give it a try.

I make a dish of dried cod, boiled onions and boiled potatoes in a béchamel that me ol' Irish mum used to make. My brother hated it.

NQ6U
01-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Actually, I like salt cod (I have a box in the icebox right now, in fact)

Albi, I have fond memories of my maternal grandmother's Christmas Eve dish of pasta with a sauce made with baccala--dried, salted cod. She never refrigerated it, the stuff would last forever at room temperature in San Francisco's cool climate. I also remember seeing it soaking in her bathtub for several days before Christmas as she rinsed out the salt.

W3MIV
01-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Albi, I have fond memories of my maternal grandmother's Christmas Eve dish of pasta with a sauce made with baccala--dried, salted cod. She never refrigerated it, the stuff would last forever at room temperature in San Francisco's cool climate. I also remember seeing it soaking in her bathtub for several days before Christmas as she rinsed out the salt.

I store it in the 'fridge merely for convenience. It is a smallish, wood box inside a sealed plastic bag. The bag is a new idea; box is traditional for as long as I can remember (no, don't go there!).

Gotta soak it overnight at least, and best to change the water two or three times during the process to get the bulk of the salt out and soften the fillets. Once ready, cut the fish into 2" squares and cook with quartered yellow onions and quartered white potatoes until the potatoes are cooked to your degree of doneness. Make up a béchamel and fold the cooked fish, oignons and pommes d'terre carefully into the hot sauce so as not to crumble the fish. Serve -- wonderful over freshly steamed asparagus. Whatever you do, though, don't add salt! ;)