PDA

View Full Version : Where To Throw The Party?

W3WN
01-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Superbowl XL: Party held at my in-laws. I had to skip it because I came down with a very bad cold, and my father-in-law was still recovering from open heart surgery, so we couldn't risk it. To be honest, I conked on the couch and missed the bulk of the game.

Super Bowl XLIII: Party again held at my in-laws, but at least I got to go this time!

Last year: That was the weekend of the Monster Snowstorm. Power was out at our house from Friday Night late (about 1 AM) thru early afternoon Sunday. However, the in-laws (who took us in for the night as the house was getting cold) didn't have TV; their cable had come down on the street and been cut for safety reasons. So once we had power back, we invited them over. And just as the 2nd half starts, power dies again, so we listened to the game on the radio. Power came back on just as the post-game show started, go figure.

So, do we host the party again (my in-laws ARE getting up there in years, and it's getting tougher for them to do these things -- even if they won't admit it to anyone), or do we spend another Super Bowl with the folks?

What do you think?

NQ6U
01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Super Bowl IXIII? Someone needs to work on his Roman numerals a bit.

N8YX
01-23-2011, 10:30 PM
If you're rooting for the Steelers?

Don't ask me to answer that. :snicker:

W3WN
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Bowl IXIII? Someone needs to work on his Roman numerals a bit.

That's why I edited the post and switched to Arabic numbers, at least until I could remember what the blasted things are supposed to be. I meant to say XL and XLIII, of course. I think.

W3WN
01-23-2011, 10:32 PM
If you're rooting for the Steelers?

Don't ask me to answer that. :snicker:
Sorry Fred. But it's not my fault that your choices are the Bungles and the Brownies. Or do you root for Modell's Meatballs?

I guess this means that I shouldn't invite you & 'DSG over then. My mother-in-law can be lethal when it comes to people who root for the B&B teams, and at this time of year, I doubt that the could find a jury of her peers in Pittsburgh to convict her!

KG4CGC
01-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Power failure during game, yuck.
Last year during the Super Bowl, the EBS test came on 6 times with practice weather warnings and repeated the names of all the town twice. Like Abbyville Abbyville, Greenville Greenville and on for about 12 towns.
They're a go figure moment. No EBS test interruptions before or after the game.

N2NH
01-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Congratulations. I'll be rooting for the Steelers myself. Good game, although it would've been nice if the Jets had won. They gave it a go and didn't give up though. Good game. WTF was with the cold? Looked like they were playing in Green Bay.

http://www.whatsgoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ny-jets-logo-2.jpg

W3WN
01-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Congratulations. I'll be rooting for the Steelers myself. Good game, although it would've been nice if the Jets had won. They gave it a go and didn't give up though. Good game. WTF was with the cold? Looked like they were playing in Green Bay.
Cold? You call that cold? C'mon. Welcome to January in Pittsburgh.

W3WN
01-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Last year during the Super Bowl, the EBS test came on 6 times with practice weather warnings and repeated the names of all the town twice. Like Abbyville Abbyville, Greenville Greenville and on for about 12 towns.
They're a go figure moment. No EBS test interruptions before or after the game.
Yuck indeed. We had already decided to head back over to their place for the night, we were trying to figure out how to juggle cars etc. so that we could go to work in the morning, the in-laws were actually half-way down the basement steps & we were repacking what we could to be about 20 minutes behind them... and the lights come back on.

W4RLR
01-24-2011, 12:40 AM
They're a go figure moment. No EBS test interruptions before or after the game.There's a cure for that. It's called DirecTV.

KG4CGC
01-24-2011, 12:59 AM
There's a cure for that. It's called DirecTV.
If it rains, I still want to watch the game!

KA5PIU
01-24-2011, 02:21 AM
Hello.

I can lose power for around 30 minutes and might not even notice, EVERYTHING has battery backup.
In Fact, you can find really good deals on battery backups if you look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AT-T-U-Verse-Belkin-BackUp-Battery-BU3DC000-12V-/110625180575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c1c64b9f
That covers the router and VoIP phone.
I have another battery backup for the cordless and 3 real landline phones on a POTS line.
Both TV sets are battery and AC, at least 5 hours on each.
Computers are all laptops, 3 to 8 hours minimum.
Gas as well as electric heat.
The clocks are all battery powered.
So, 30 minutes. perhaps more, might not even be aware of it.
We lost power in the hood a while back and the only way I knew something was wrong was the neighbors milling about in the street.
I had planned on firing up the generator but was too lazy.
Sometime later the power came back on while I was asleep.

KG4CGC
01-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah, that what we do here. Mill around in the street.

W3WN
01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
There's a cure for that. It's called DirecTV.
They have EBS tests as well. And watch your contracts with those buggers. They now have a nasty habit of changing them online, and under the terms of the contract, it's YOUR responsibility to keep up with the latest ones.

I had to use the threat of legal action to get them to finally let us go, and then they still billed us for an extra month's service (which the credit card company put a stop to).

W3WN
01-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Hello.

I can lose power for around 30 minutes and might not even notice, EVERYTHING has battery backup.
In Fact, you can find really good deals on battery backups if you look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AT-T-U-Verse-Belkin-BackUp-Battery-BU3DC000-12V-/110625180575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c1c64b9f
That covers the router and VoIP phone.
I have another battery backup for the cordless and 3 real landline phones on a POTS line.
Both TV sets are battery and AC, at least 5 hours on each.
Computers are all laptops, 3 to 8 hours minimum.
Gas as well as electric heat.
The clocks are all battery powered.
So, 30 minutes. perhaps more, might not even be aware of it.
We lost power in the hood a while back and the only way I knew something was wrong was the neighbors milling about in the street.
I had planned on firing up the generator but was too lazy.
Sometime later the power came back on while I was asleep.

Battery backups have their limits, Bovine Goniff. When power is out for over 36 hours, most batteries will have long since failed.

w3bny
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I'll be rooting for Sam Adams or some swede named Svedka :yum:

W1GUH
01-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Well, the Jets accomplished their most important job this post-season....keep the Pats out of the Super Bowl.

Go Steelers -- if only because they'll be playing the Packers.

I always wanted to see the "Packers" play the "Rams". :bbh:

W3WN
01-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, the Jets accomplished their most important job this post-season....keep the Pats out of the Super Bowl.
< snip >
Funny you should mention that. My boss grew up in the Boston area. He was most unhappy with the Jets this last week. He's much happier now.