PDA

View Full Version : Reader's Digest

W3WN
01-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Since we've been beating up XM Radio in the other thread...

I've been getting Reader's Digest on & off for years. Was going to drop my subscription a few months back, but I got a "3rd & Final" notice from them demanding my renewal payment, figured I must have renewed & forgot, so I paid it. That was then.

New issue came yesterday. Opened it up this morning, took a look at the "insert" that has the actual mailing information... it had a note that the envelope enclosed had to do with a "renewal discount." Glad I opened it...

Seems that RD has switched all of the subscriptions to auto-renew. So you have to tell them that you want to stop. Didn't know that? Well, they claim that you agreed to it on your last renewal (Bullshnitz, I say, bullshnitz) so that they're well within their rights.

And if you're like most people (myself included) and ignore those little inserts (which used to just be advertising crap), you're going to get burned.

It's not the $18, it's the principle of the thing.

So, the bill goes back marked "CANCEL" in big red letters. Should they call or write me to ask why, I'll tell them. Their short term stunt to get me for one year has cost them a subscriber for good. (That they're now giving you issues every other month instead of monthly for the same price is also a factor).

If you get RD -- make sure you read that insert, not just throw it away!

N7RJD
01-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I grew up in a house with the proverbial stack of RD on the back of the tank or on the floor next to.
Basically having grown up with them being around I tried out a subscription for a year at one point.
I quickly found that they really didn't offer anything I wanted. That and they took every opportunity
to try and sell me whatever they could. It was like paying to have a constant infomercial delivered.

w3bny
01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Readers digest....a good sign that you have gotten old or are in a doctors office.

W3WN
01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Readers digest....a good sign that you have gotten old or are in a doctors office.
It's just something to read on the commute home and back. QST and CQ are just not convenient to carry, and WorldRadio no longer exists in a physical form.

Frankly, the current issue (which announces a "revamp") is dull. I'm probably going to call them and cancel the rest of the subscription. Who knows, I might get a buck or two back (hah!)

KA5PIU
01-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Hello.

Remember the Infomercial machines in doctors offices?
They changed formats or something so they installed a new one.
The doc got to keep the TV inside and I got the cabinet and all the goodies inside.
What is inside is a satellite receiver and a surge protector, nothing more.
The satellite receiver is a FTA unit.
http://www.ftalist.com/master.php
The Arabs will send you pretty much the same thing for just the cost of shipping, look on the web for Arab TV.
Sometimes a store will move that had satellite audio, and sometimes video also.
Usually this is also a satellite FTA receiver.
Ask management if you can have it before they throw it away, explain that you are a ham.
Most will roll eyes and tell you go for it.
I have an entire IP telephone panel I got for free this way also.
Remember, we are hams, we are cheap as they come, and I still want a TACO!

W3WN
01-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Hello.

Remember the Infomercial machines in doctors offices?
They changed formats or something so they installed a new one.
The doc got to keep the TV inside and I got the cabinet and all the goodies inside.
What is inside is a satellite receiver and a surge protector, nothing more.
The satellite receiver is a FTA unit.
http://www.ftalist.com/master.php
The Arabs will send you pretty much the same thing for just the cost of shipping, look on the web for Arab TV.
Sometimes a store will move that had satellite audio, and sometimes video also.
Usually this is also a satellite FTA receiver.
Ask management if you can have it before they throw it away, explain that you are a ham.
Most will roll eyes and tell you go for it.
I have an entire IP telephone panel I got for free this way also.
Remember, we are hams, we are cheap as they come, and I still want a TACO!
What does this have to do with a subscription to Readers Digest?

W3MIV
01-25-2011, 09:37 AM
It's just something to read on the commute home and back. QST and CQ are just not convenient to carry, and WorldRadio no longer exists in a physical form.

Buy a Kindle. Download lots of free books, especially lots of classics. Gutenberg Project, among others. Lots of stuff available for a buck or less. Thing will hold over a thousand books and is about the same size as that POS RD.

W1GUH
01-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Buy a Kindle. Download lots of free books, especially lots of classics. Gutenberg Project, among others. Lots of stuff available for a buck or less. Thing will hold over a thousand books and is about the same size as that POS RD.

Those things are next year's thrown out hi-tech toys. Maybe if they folded and I could stick one in my jacket or jeans pocket, like a paper back, but the way they are they just won't ever replace a paperback or a rolled-up magazine. And if I'm into a hard cover...that'd be a book that's worth carrying. How do you make marginal notes on a Kindle?

w3bny
01-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Until Amazon decides you dont need that book anymore then..POOF.. Kinda like you having a room full of books then someone coming over and taking them back after you paid for them.

W3MIV
01-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Until Amazon decides you dont need that book anymore then..POOF.. Kinda like you having a room full of books then someone coming over and taking them back after you paid for them.

There is a lot of material available outside of Amazon, and you can download the books you obtain from any of the source, including Amazon, to a PC, swapping them to and from the device as you choose. If you turn the WiFi in the Kindle off, not only does the battery last for weeks without recharging, but the Kindle is detached from their system. The eBook wars that are now being fought out among Amazon, B&N and Borders over competitive formats has lead Amazon to now permit "lending" of books among Kindle owners. I am not sure how that will work out over time -- I do not buy many books from Amazon (or other vendors); there is enough free stuff out there, and enough innovative writing that is priced way "under market."

The price of Kindle has dropped to $139 for the base model -- which is about the sam as a half-dozen hardbacks from BJs or Costco. If you need textbooks or reference non-fiction, by all means invest in the forest; for most purposes, though, photons are one hell of a lot cheaper.

w3bny
01-25-2011, 10:15 AM
And Mrs bunneh really wanted one till the whole "you own the book as long as we say so" thing came up. Then nah. She just does the good old fashioned paper thing.

W3WN
01-25-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm looking into a Kindle (a co-worker has one) and similar devices. But that's not the point.

W3MIV
01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
And Mrs bunneh really wanted one till the whole "you own the book as long as we say so" thing came up. Then nah. She just does the good old fashioned paper thing.

So long as you use the public library system, the paper thing works superbly for most people who read for pleasure or escapism.

W1GUH
01-25-2011, 10:50 AM
So long as you use the public library system, the paper thing works superbly for most people who read for pleasure or escapism.

Not to mention enrichment and enlightenment.

W3MIV
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Not to mention enrichment and enlightenment.

I take your point, but many library systems have foresaken high culture for low entertainment. It is easier by far in many to find Danielle Steele than Sam Clemons.

KA5PIU
01-25-2011, 11:10 AM

Hello.

Readers Digest ran the service.
Between them and Muzak it covers 90% of this type of thing.

W3WN
01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Hello.

Readers Digest ran the service.
Between them and Muzak it covers 90% of this type of thing.
Which still has nothing to do with them trying to rip you off with a hard-to-cancel subscription to the magazine.

Focus, bovine goniff, focus!

W3MIV
01-25-2011, 01:57 PM
You have to open his eyes first.

KA5PIU
01-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Which still has nothing to do with them trying to rip you off with a hard-to-cancel subscription to the magazine.

Focus, bovine goniff, focus!

Hello.

I do focus.
To me, readers digest is like any other company, out to make money.
If I can somehow benefit from what they are doing I will go for it.
Now, with that said, what if you simply "move"?
Mark on the magazine 'No longer at this address'.
Drop this in the blue mailbox and not in your mailbox so the postman does not see it.
Most domestic addresses are one number but can be a range of numbers.
Lets say your house is in the 100 block and is the first corner house.
Even will be one side and odd will be the other.
Your next door neighbor has the address of 111 and your address is 105 A street.
Your cross street is B street and the next house on B street is 810.
You could use 101, 103, 105, 107 and 109 A street as an address.
You could also use 801, 803, 805, 807 and 809 B street.
But, just to be easy, 105 A street and 805 B street would be the same house.
Use 105 A street for the important stuff, but for the other mail, "move" to 805 B street.
Again, differing addresses for the same physical location.
For the people who do not live on a corner the other solution would need to work.

W3WN
01-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh, ku goniff, that would never work. For one thing, you forgot to eliminate the bar code which the Postal Service uses to encode your state, city, postal carrier route, and which side of the street you're on.

Actually, I went on RD's site earlier today, lodged a complaint, and told them I wanted to cancel. 2 hours later, an email informs me that my subscription is cancelled, and if I get any further issues (since the labels are printed in advance), keep them with their compliments. Oh, and just ignore future bills.

I get any more bills, they get returned with a copy of the email and a note to leave me alone or my attorney will deal with them.

Don't get mad. Get even.

KA5PIU
01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Hello.

I have forgotten nothing. ;)
http://ribbs.usps.gov/onecodesolution/Barcode_Decoder.Aspx
Not only can I decode the barcode, I know how to generate an address that the USPS will consider valid.
This is normally provided by the city or county taxing authority but can be provided by anyone.
It is actually the census that validates addresses.
There is nothing wrong with having more than one address per location.
http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/

W3WN
01-26-2011, 02:24 PM
So your solution to a billing issue is to redirect your mail out to a non-existant address. A lot of good that will do you when they sue you in small claims court, and you lose by default because you never got the mail.

Tell me, ku goniff, do you also chase mosquitos with sledgehammers?

KA5PIU
01-26-2011, 02:49 PM
So your solution to a billing issue is to redirect your mail out to a non-existant address. A lot of good that will do you when they sue you in small claims court, and you lose by default because you never got the mail.

Tell me, ku goniff, do you also chase mosquitos with sledgehammers?

Hello.

But the address does exist.
Never seen a mailbox for 2 or more addresses?
How about a house with 2 or more mailboxes at the front door?
Normally this is done for a garage apartment or somebody running a business out of their home or garage but it is not all that uncommon.
In fact, you can do a change of address with this.
Simply put up another mailbox or mark the one already there with ALL addresses and you have it.
I have also used transmitter sites as a valid address, just put the mailbox where the mailman can easily get to it from his route, works well with American Tower sites, have them log you in as a tech to a site once and you will be given the address of whatever tower you need access to.
I do this as freight carriers want a correct address to deliver to and I have no way of transporting a transmitter hut. ;)
But, as long as you are not trying any form of fraud you can do this.
Remember, the goal is to stop them from sending stuff to you, not fail to pay a bill.

W3WN
01-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Wrong. The goal was to stop them from trying to rip me off with a perpetual self-renewing subscription.

Goal achieved.

N2NH
01-27-2011, 02:57 AM

Rhetorical right? :lol:

W3WN
01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Rhetorical right? :lol:If you have to ask, you already know the answer.

w6tmi
01-28-2011, 02:05 AM
On the topic of e-readers, if you have a smartphone (Androod or eyePhone) typically you can get a B&N or Amazon reader which can also download their material.

Assuming of course you can handle reading of a phone screen. I can short term, but for serious, bed wine and smarties time it's the nook or the book.

KA5PIU
01-28-2011, 03:27 AM
Hello.

Think about this for just one minute.
You may have heard of this scheme before.
It is used by people who want to disappear for a while or people who need a "drop" address.
The hint of working out of a garage should have been clear enough.
http://www.weedsthatplease.com/growtips.htm
I simple solution is to use something like Mail Boxes Etc, that does not work.
Find a storage center that also does offices and rent a small storage unit.
Use that as your address.
Everyone, including UPS have new rules.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-07/ups-expands-photo-id-rule-for-retail-shipping-as-bombs-spur-security-steps.html
The solution is to pre-print a label and drop it off at a UPS drop box.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/locations/dropboxes/
The weed must go through!
For a person who does not smoke weed,,,,,,.;););)

W3WN
01-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Hello.

Think about this for just one minute.
You may have heard of this scheme before.
It is used by people who want to disappear for a while or people who need a "drop" address.
< snip > But what does any of that have to do with a subscription renewal issue?

NQ6U
01-28-2011, 06:03 PM
When reading RD, just keep one thing in mind: What is the end-product of digestion?

kf0rt
01-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Kindle is really pretty cool... Bought my wife one several months ago and it pretty much just works: she loves it. It does a few games, too.

I don't think we'll get over the paper vs. electron debate anytime soon. Pick yer poison and just run with it. If it doesn't work for you, don't buy it. Really is that simple.

What's hilarious about the Kindle: Every time she orders a book, I get an email from Amazon to remind me of the order, and it takes about three tenths of a second.

We may own two of these soon.

KE7DKN
01-28-2011, 09:55 PM
When reading RD, just keep one thing in mind: What is the end-product of digestion?

Is that RD, or Ru-D?

w2amr
01-29-2011, 04:31 AM
But what does any of that have to do with a subscription renewal issue?Are you having fun yet?:whistle: