PDA

View Full Version : Want to get rid of a land line?

KC2UGV
01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Well, I do. If I stripped out my Long Distance plan from Verizon, and just got basic phone + DSL, I would save a grand total of $5.

I pay $60 for DSL + Local + LD. If I broke them up, DSL would be $45, and local would be 15.

Well, I'm a fricking penny pincher. So, this is what I found: pbxes.org + Google Voice.

PBXes gives you 2000 minutes and a PBX with 5 extensions for no charge. You can configure an outbound and inbound trunk as your Google Voice account. Google voice gives you unlimited calling for free, anywhere in the United States.

Coupled with SIPDroid and Linphone, you can have an extension on you cell phone, your PC, and toss in a Linksys PTA, you can even use your old telephone equipment.

Their Soho plan is 2.95 Euro a month, and you get 5000 minutes and 10 extensions.

By using SIPDroid, you avoid using your cell minutes (Nice if you have WiFi or an unlimited data plan), and Linphone just uses your broadband connection.

Give it a try! It works great. And you get the power of an Asterix PBX. You can avoid the 2000 minute limit if you are handy with Asterix. Asterix supports GVoice trunking. Enjoy :)

W1GUH
01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Why even have a land line? Completely redundant these days.

"And you get the power of an Asterix..."

That's some awesome power!

http://marksarvas.blogs.com/.a/6a00d834515c2769e20120a68f898d970c-800wi

N2CHX
01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I have a MagicJack for the kids.

KC2UGV
01-25-2011, 02:37 PM

"And you get the power of an Asterix..."

That's some awesome power!

My Commander-In-Chief wants a home phone number. Don't ask me why.

I have a MagicJack for the kids.

I looked at MagickJack, but didn't like the fact that I couldn't use my own hardware. Had to use their dongle, had to use Winderz, and had to leave their app running.

W1GUH
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
My Commander-In-Chief wants a home phone number. Don't ask me why.

Unimpeachable reason to have one!

KA5PIU
01-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Hello.

Have AT&T service here, landline + DSL.
The landline is a physical pair, powered by the CO.
With the DSL I can clone the landline for no extra, just had to get their box, $140 one time charge.
With sipgate I get a VoIP line for free.
http://www.sipgate.com/one
With google I get another line for free.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice
I am Always open to new ideas and love to experiment!

n2ize
01-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Why need a phone at all when we've got 75 meter AM ??

ka8ncr
02-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I bought a used TA for $25 and subscribed to VOIP.ms. Ported the landline over to that and pay about $4 a month for the number being active and E911. Then I pay 1.5 cents per minute for all calls, billed by the second.

It's prepay, so I chuck $75 in my account at the start of the year.

All of these call origination and termination services now have great call filtering for lowly TA's. During the elections, I set all 800, 888, and 866 numbers to simply hang-up. I'm not billed any minutes, and I never hear the robos.

KC2UGV
02-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I bought a used TA for $25 and subscribed to VOIP.ms. Ported the landline over to that and pay about $4 a month for the number being active and E911. Then I pay 1.5 cents per minute for all calls, billed by the second.

It's prepay, so I chuck $75 in my account at the start of the year.

All of these call origination and termination services now have great call filtering for lowly TA's. During the elections, I set all 800, 888, and 866 numbers to simply hang-up. I'm not billed any minutes, and I never hear the robos.

How long have you been with voip.ms? What's their reliability like?

ka8ncr
02-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Been with them for a couple years, first for softphone service and then primary VOIP provider and they've been solid. I had a problem with my TA last summer where it would quit registering. Logs on my end didn't show a loss of connectivity, so I asked if I could have any logs of my TA on their end. They sent them, and then sent the fix which was a firmware update with my TA (InterEdge IETA-200).

KA5PIU
02-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Hello.

Sipgate is 100% free on inbound, nothing.
Google Voice, same but I can also use it in other ways as an outbound number, free.
Physical land line comes with a monthly fee but no extra.
My Cricket phone is unlimited calling in the US and Canada plus 100 minutes to Mexico, I use that to call people to the internet.

w6tmi
02-05-2011, 02:11 AM

I've been with them for several months, but can't attest to reliability, as I dont use it enough.

Would offer to check my connection log, but my daughter is always rebooting the router so.. yeah that wont be so accurate.

n6hcm
02-05-2011, 04:08 AM

they've been rock solid for me. i have a handful of numbers parked there for a few years now.

KA5PIU
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I've been with them for several months, but can't attest to reliability, as I dont use it enough.

Would offer to check my connection log, but my daughter is always rebooting the router so.. yeah that wont be so accurate.

Hello.

Why is she rebooting the router?
Remember that getting a new IP address for the purpose of qualifying in a contest generally backfires, you have to change BOTH the IP AND the MAC to make it count.
The best trick is to have one machine with several NICs at the ready and several spoof addresses.
In this manner it really does look like several machines. ;)

n6hcm
02-06-2011, 06:11 AM
new IP address for the purpose of qualifying in a contest generally backfires, you have to change BOTH the IP AND the MAC to make it count.

umm, your host's MAC address never leaves your LAN.

KC2UGV
02-06-2011, 10:20 AM
umm, your host's MAC address never leaves your LAN.

Never leaves the switch domain...

n6hcm
02-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Never leaves the switch domain...

sshhh! don't confuse things with facts ...

(how many of us have more than one switch for their home network? i have two, i think ... it all needs cleaning up and reorganizing.)

KC2UGV
02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
sshhh! don't confuse things with facts ...

(how many of us have more than one switch for their home network? i have two, i think ... it all needs cleaning up and reorganizing.)

I have 4, just so I can play with spanning tree :)