PDA

View Full Version : This week's rant against banks.

W1GUH
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
I HATE THEIR FREQUIN' ARRGANCE, ATTITUDE, AND POWER!!!!!!

OK, that's off my chest. Just wanted to express that. Here's what happened.

There's a bank down the block that has a public coin-counting machine. You drop your coins in it, it count's 'em, and you get a slip that you take to a teller for the $$$. For years and years (maybe even close to 10) it's been free. Just last Friday, I got it for free. So Monday night I do it again, and when I get to the teller, she charged me 6% because I didn't have an account. I said, "Since when? I just got it for free last Friday." She said since 11/1, there's a sign over there. I missed it entirely (obviously, I wouldn't have done it if I had). Probably hidden or in tiny print. Anyway, I HAD to pay 6% (frequin' crooks!).

On the way out I asked the floor manage if I was properly charged, and he said I was.

One more way the banks have been charging US for THEIR greedy FU's, stating from the S&L scandal in ronnie's day.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Just wished I'd been quick enough on my feet to ask for my coins back. (Probably wouldn't have helped, though.)

WØTKX
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm used to that, and my bank has a great coin counter, at various branches.

W4RLR
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
My credit union has one of those coin counters. They charge account holders 2 percent. If you don't have an account, 4 percent is charged. Someone has to pay for the machine, they don't give them away.

W1GUH
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
My credit union has one of those coin counters. They charge account holders 2 percent. If you don't have an account, 4 percent is charged. Someone has to pay for the machine, they don't give them away.

Don't kid yourself. They're recouping their losses from stupid business practices these last 30 years. Why do you think they pay less than 1% interest on savings?

NA4BH
01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Coinstar (we have them at Wal-Mart & Winn Dixie's) charges 8%. You got a deal. But were still robbed. I have a coin rolling machine and take the rolls to the bank. No surcharge.

W1GUH
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
That's the alternative. It's a trade-off. How much is the time it takes to count, roll, and wait in line to deposit worth? I'll probably just eat the shit they throw at me and pay 'em for the convenience. And they, of course, know that!

NA4BH
01-19-2011, 06:40 PM
That's the alternative. It's a trade-off. How much is the time it takes to count, roll, and wait in line to deposit worth? I'll probably just eat the shit they throw at me and pay 'em for the convenience. And they, of course, know that!

I have a little plastic thing called "Money Miser". Got it at Wal Mart (go figure). All I do is by the pre rolled tubes turn it on, it separates the coins and when the tube is filled you just remove it and put in a new one.

Here is a LINK (http://www.factory-express.com/MagNif_MoneyMiser_Coin_Sorter-7440.htm) to what I am talking about. This is for description only, I do not know about this site.

WØTKX
01-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I forgot, my bank still does it for free. True Story.

K7SGJ
01-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I have a little plastic thing called "Money Miser". Got it at Wal Mart (go figure). All I do is by the pre rolled tubes turn it on, it separates the coins and when the tube is filled you just remove it and put in a new one.

Here is a LINK (http://www.factory-express.com/MagNif_MoneyMiser_Coin_Sorter-7440.htm) to what I am talking about. This is for description only, I do not know about this site.

Probably roll one hell of a doobie with that thing.

n2ize
01-19-2011, 08:13 PM
With the Coinstar machines you just dump them coins right in. Don't even have to sort them. the drawback ? They charge 8%.

KC2UGV
01-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I take my change, count it, put it in a cloth deposit bag, and make my deposit... 0% fee.

KA5PIU
01-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Probably roll one hell of a doobie with that thing.

Hello.

The trick is to NOT roll a doobie.
You use something like this and roll what looks just like a regular cigarette, or 20 to a pack.
http://www.arbroinc.com/
You chop the weed into the correct sized strands and place a touch of on the one end and ALWAYS a filter on the other.
f you do not like filter cigarettes you cut the filter down to 1/5th the norm, you have 5 short filter stubs.
This adds to the effect and makes everything look "right".
To sniff the cigarette is to smell tobacco, unless you have been smoking it of course.
Drug dogs are still going to freak, but the average cop will not notice anything.

kc7jty
01-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Why should you NOT be charged? We Americans are obsessed with those fucking pennies, and nickels are another pain in the ass. I NEVER let change accrue in my pocket, nor do I dump it somewhere when I get home.
And when some ASS gives me an annoyed look because I'm making sure to unload all coins below the value of $1 during a transaction I very loudly and sarcastically say, "WHERE WOULD WE BE WITHOUT THESE GOD DAMNED PENNIES!"

n6hcm
01-20-2011, 06:16 AM
With the Coinstar machines you just dump them coins right in. Don't even have to sort them. the drawback ? They charge 8%.

they charge less if you take your payoff as an amazon or starbux card.

still, i have one of those machines that counts and rolls the coins on my nightstand. when i get about $30 i take it to the bank when i'm doing other chores on market st.

W3MIV
01-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Quitcher bitchin.' Youse guys can always count them youselfs.

ki4itv
01-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Or use Coinstar, hit the donate button and do something good for somebody else.
Then you don't have to worry about them charging you, they'll just be ripping off the disadvantaged like usual.

W1GUH
01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Again, it's a trade-off, isn't it? Even if one has a fancy-schmancy counter and roller at home...it's still time down the toilet.

What I really, really hated was they made the change with no notice whatsoever. On my way out I briefly tried to find the sign the teller alleged was there and couldn't see it. Like I said, the arrogant attitude towards a customer who was obviously tricked really sucked. But then, it's a bank.

N2CHX
01-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I throw all my change in my purse. Pennies end up in the little "give a penny take a penny" trays at stores. Quarters lay in the bottom of my purse until one of my kids needs money for some school thing or I need to put air in my tires. Speaking of a rip-off -- most gas stations are now charging $1 or more for 3 minutes at the air compressor. Anyway, change typically stays in my purse for a LONG time. I still have Japanese, Chinese and Thai coins in my purse from my trip a year and a half ago.

What I love loathe about banks these days is their refusal to cash a check unless you have an account with them. I got paid $250 for some gig awhile back, took the check to the bank it was written on and they refused to cash it unless I had an account. WTF is that?

KC2UGV
01-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Again, it's a trade-off, isn't it? Even if one has a fancy-schmancy counter and roller at home...it's still time down the toilet.

What I really, really hated was they made the change with no notice whatsoever. On my way out I briefly tried to find the sign the teller alleged was there and couldn't see it. Like I said, the arrogant attitude towards a customer who was obviously tricked really sucked. But then, it's a bank.

You just need a coin counter. They cost about $5-$10. Put it in a deposit bag, and make your deposit. No fees involved, and a one-time investment that costs about the same as a meal at a restaurant.

KC2UGV
01-20-2011, 08:51 AM
I throw all my change in my purse. Pennies end up in the little "give a penny take a penny" trays at stores. Quarters lay in the bottom of my purse until one of my kids needs money for some school thing or I need to put air in my tires. Speaking of a rip-off -- most gas stations are now charging $1 or more for 3 minutes at the air compressor. Anyway, change typically stays in my purse for a LONG time. I still have Japanese, Chinese and Thai coins in my purse from my trip a year and a half ago.

One reason I gave in and bought a netbook case: So I can have a "purse" that isn't a purse :) "It's not a purse! It's a laptop bag!"

What I love loathe about banks these days is their refusal to cash a check unless you have an account with them. I got paid $250 for some gig awhile back, took the check to the bank it was written on and they refused to cash it unless I had an account. WTF is that?

If it's written on a local bank (Or a bank with a local branch), just take it there to cash it. They'll cash it no problems. Or, just sign up with M&T's free checking account :)

N2CHX
01-20-2011, 08:56 AM
One reason I gave in and bought a netbook case: So I can have a "purse" that isn't a purse :) "It's not a purse! It's a laptop bag!"

It's a man-bag. Just ask Tinky Winky.

If it's written on a local bank (Or a bank with a local branch), just take it there to cash it. They'll cash it no problems. Or, just sign up with M&T's free checking account :)

That's exactly what I did, Corey. Ironically, it was M&T. The branch on Grand Island to be exact. They flat-out wouldn't cash it. Normally I would deposit into my account but I remember that I was a bit desperate for cash that day because I had laid out money for parts or something and I didn't want to wait the two days my bank would take to release all the funds.

KC2UGV
01-20-2011, 09:04 AM
It's a man-bag. Just ask Tinky Winky.

Well, that's what I said! Then I asked the authority on the subject (Nathan), and he declared it not a purse :)

That's exactly what I did, Corey. Ironically, it was M&T. The branch on Grand Island to be exact. They flat-out wouldn't cash it. Normally I would deposit into my account but I remember that I was a bit desperate for cash that day because I had laid out money for parts or something and I didn't want to wait the two days my bank would take to release all the funds.

Really? They've never done that to me, but then again, I've never used the GI branch... Alway the Ontario St one, or the Transit/Main St one...

W1GUH
01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
'KKM said:'

Just another way to recoup their losses from their bad decisions and business practices.

w3bny
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM

You eat shit people throw at you?!?!? :wtf::irked:

W1GUH
01-20-2011, 02:21 PM
You eat shit people throw at you?!?!? :wtf::irked:

When there's no alternative, ya gotta. "It is what is."

W1GUH
01-20-2011, 02:23 PM
'KKM said:

Personal, Business, or payroll check? I think it makes a difference if it's a payroll check or not.

kc7jty
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Summary: If coins were discontinued many people's lives would fall to pieces.

Chris
01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
thats nothing

when you deposit in the bank the bank can loan out your deposit 10x or whatever the fractional banking create money out of thin air law is today

do you ever wish you could do that?

kc7jty
01-20-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't pay lobbyists & politicians million$ so it won't be happening to me in the near future.

ki4itv
01-20-2011, 05:53 PM
thats nothing

when you deposit in the bank the bank can loan out your deposit 10x or whatever the fractional banking create money out of thin air law is today

do you ever wish you could do that?

Some do...and for everything else there's Mastercard.

BTW- welcome to IOMH Chris. :agree: