PDA

View Full Version : Spend me some money - SMD solder/desolder station

N8YX
01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
What are your opinions of various brands and models?

I'm looking for something that at a minimum offers a soldering iron, hot-air SMD desoldering unit, vacuum desoldering gun (for through-hole stuff) and possibly a set of SMD tweezers.

While I don't want to spend $5+ K, I'm not adverse to buying a quality, well-made unit.

W5RB
01-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Starting at the low-priced end of the spectrum , you might want to give these guys a look . I haven't had hands on one ,but they get some decent reviews online . This product combines many functions , they offer other products as well .

http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6681/26/51e40b7e4ab5c8245decdb99fdf0fb9d

I was initially amazed to find basic air-soldering stations around $100 , and this combo under $300 . Maybe not for heavy , daily use , but entirely suitable for some of us .

K7SGJ
01-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I used the stuff made by Pace for years. Still have a couple of units. With a two unit vac system, you can have your soldering iron and vac desolder. When needed, you can use thermotweezers in place of one of the other items, or they have the irons you hook up the vac exhaust line to, and can use it for high density smt rework. Works great with solder paste. They make every tip imaginable. You can pick them up used pretty reasonably on ebay or QTH. Some folks don't like the Pace, but I guess it's what your used to. It is very high quality.

NQ6U
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Starting at the low-priced end of the spectrum , you might want to give these guys a look . I haven't had hands on one ,but they get some decent reviews online [...] I was initially amazed to find basic air-soldering stations around $100 , and this combo under $300 . Maybe not for heavy , daily use , but entirely suitable for some of us .

Funny thing--someone posted on the Zed asking about the Aoyue rework station you suggested. There were 27 replies and not a single one of them was from someone who had actual experience with one.

KG4CGC
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I used the stuff made by Pace for years. Still have a couple of units. With a two unit vac system, you can have your soldering iron and vac desolder. When needed, you can use thermotweezers in place of one of the other items, or they have the irons you hook up the vac exhaust line to, and can use it for high density smt rework. Works great with solder paste. They make every tip imaginable. You can pick them up used pretty reasonably on ebay or QTH. Some folks don't like the Pace, but I guess it's what your used to. It is very high quality.The term, "thermotweezers" just gave me an idea that I had not considered before. Thank you :)

K7SGJ
01-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Sure.

NQ6U
01-19-2011, 08:33 PM
The term, "thermotweezers" just gave me an idea that I had not considered before. Thank you :)

Is this idea anything that can be mentioned in polite company?

K7SGJ
01-19-2011, 08:35 PM
It may be a new way to remove nasal hair.

KG4CGC
01-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Making tweezers as a set of soldering tips. Points, flats, etc.

Chris
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
the local repair guys uses only an iron and wick on smt, no solder gulpers for him

W5RB
01-21-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't remember what was on my bench at Motorola , probably Pace or Hakko . I highly recommend 3M's Kapton tape for heat shielding sensitive parts . Not cheap , but I was amazed at the protection offered by what appears to be amber-colored Scotch tape . The Chinese station I listed above is one I was considering before I left the last job , since my use would be minimal . I have yet to talk to anyone who's had hands on any of their gear .An air pencil is much better than wick and iron for SMD work .

Chris
01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
they dont suck hard enough!

w2amr
01-22-2011, 07:26 AM
I use the de soldering braid from radio shack. Does a FBOM job.:agree:

KA5PIU
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Hello.

You may find this useful.
elektronik.googlecode.com/files/SMD_Catalog222.pdf