PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Check out my neighborhood!

W1GUH
01-18-2011, 07:13 PM
If you go to the slide show at this url (http://www.dnainfo.com/20110118/upper-east-side/police-tow-taco-truck-upon-upper-east-side-homecoming), image #3 is the building that forced me out of my old building (it was demolished) and into the building right next to that glass monstrosity in that pic. If you could see through that building and my walls, you could see me typing this! Well...not that you would want to...;)

About the content of the article (Rudy..you been trying to sell Tacos next door?), I can't tell if this is unwarranted harassment or not. Sure would look like it on the surface. But if the guy comes back I'll try one of his tacos. They might be purely yuppie chow.

n2ize
01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Thats a shame. But thats rudy and mikey fucking up the city and making it a shithole just for yuppie scum

NQ6U
01-18-2011, 08:00 PM
86th and Lex! That's the neighborhood I stayed in during my little sojourn to NYC back in the late Seventies. I loved it so much that I wanted to move there but my YL at the time wasn't interested. Considering how things worked out with her, I should have just dumped her and stayed.

W1GUH
01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
86th and Lex! That's the neighborhood I stayed in during my little sojourn to NYC back in the late Seventies. I loved it so much that I wanted to move there but my YL at the time wasn't interested. Considering how things worked out with her, I should have just dumped her and stayed.

Aw...nice talk about your beloved...but...yea, this IS a great place. Where, exactly did you live or stay?

'ize...right on!!!!! I'll post a review when I've tried one of his tacos.

NQ6U
01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
It was 33 years ago and I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure it was on 86th a couple of blocks east of Lexington.

W1GUH
01-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Lucky you...here well before rudy and mike trashed the city. Remember any bars?

NQ6U
01-18-2011, 08:16 PM
No, sorry. It was a long time ago--I barely remember being there beyond the fact that I had a good time and have "hearted" NYC ever since.

W1GUH
01-18-2011, 08:31 PM
When we got that place, we were a "we" and it was our city place, actually lived in Jersey. We didn't even know much about the neighborhood, just that we could afford it (rent stabilized, two incomes, soft market in '91) and in what looked like a nice neighborhood. As soon as we semi-moved in we were madly in love with the area -- obviously, more than with each other at that time. I expect to live here what's left of my life. Now....if only I could invent an antenna that'll pull HF signals in. Sigh. The steel and concrete and the noise level says I can only here one or two signals on 75, and only once in a while. I've never heard anything at all on 40 and above. Thank gopod for mobile!

KA5PIU
01-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Hello.

TACOS?
Mexicans?
I love the place already!

KG4CGC
01-19-2011, 01:05 AM
I like all the local pictures. We should have another, "Your local pics" thread.

kd8dey
01-19-2011, 01:59 AM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee58/bubbathegimp/NY_1.jpg

n6hcm
01-19-2011, 03:47 AM
i used to work (with my grandma) at a church in that neighborhood.

ki4itv
01-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Man, y'all are packed in up there. I couldn't do it.
Even the pictures elicit slight pangs of claustrophobia.

But, I do enjoy the views into everyone's whereabouts.

n2ize
01-19-2011, 08:31 AM
When we got that place, we were a "we" and it was our city place, actually lived in Jersey. We didn't even know much about the neighborhood, just that we could afford it (rent stabilized, two incomes, soft market in '91) and in what looked like a nice neighborhood. As soon as we semi-moved in we were madly in love with the area -- obviously, more than with each other at that time. I expect to live here what's left of my life. Now....if only I could invent an antenna that'll pull HF signals in. Sigh. The steel and concrete and the noise level says I can only here one or two signals on 75, and only once in a while. I've never heard anything at all on 40 and above. Thank gopod for mobile!

That is one drawback to living in mid Manhattan. It's virtually impossible to do anything but an indoor antenna for HF and then you are still clobbered with noise and if you transmit you cause all sorts of rfi, although might not be as bad nowadays with cable and fibre optics.

When I lived in the Lower East Side, it was possible to sneak a wire antenna here and there, particularly if you lived in an old building with a rear yard. Sometimes iif you had a fire escape you could work something out. Of course the Bronx , Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island is usually okay with HF antennas. I have talked to several Manhattan stations on 10 meter ground wave. Yes, in years gone by we actually had local groups that would chat on 10 meters. These days I hear no such activity on 10.

W1GUH
01-19-2011, 01:10 PM
That is one drawback to living in mid Manhattan. It's virtually impossible to do anything but an indoor antenna for HF and then you are still clobbered with noise and if you transmit you cause all sorts of rfi, although might not be as bad nowadays with cable and fibre optics.

When I lived in the Lower East Side, it was possible to sneak a wire antenna here and there, particularly if you lived in an old building with a rear yard. Sometimes iif you had a fire escape you could work something out. Of course the Bronx , Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island is usually okay with HF antennas. I have talked to several Manhattan stations on 10 meter ground wave. Yes, in years gone by we actually had local groups that would chat on 10 meters. These days I hear no such activity on 10.

You bring back fond memories of local nets and rag chews on 10m back in the early 60's. And sometime short skip was happening. Guess it all moved to 2m.

Before they built that monstrosity and I lived in a walk-up there, I'd usually hear signals on 75m. But that all ended with the new POS those asshats put up. What's frustrating is I know I'd get out, and probably without RFI hassles (long's I stayed off AM!). There's a ham up on 96th street by the park and he does just fine with a random wire to a tree across the street.

AND...one night before the signals disappeared,I was using the shield on the cable as a receiving antenna on my '817. I thought I was on a different antenna and tried breaking a QSO -- more for lulz than anything -- and a guy in CT answered! Then I noticed my mistake and was sure glad it wasn't the '857. Coulda had a huge bill from Time Warner for amps and things! But...it showed I COULD get out. Guess I could be an alligator...put up an antenna, and call forever with a big mouth and tiny ears.

'dey: That's the place! Glad I wasn't hanging out my window naked that day. Come to thing of it, so's everyone else!

Yep...that's the place.

W1GUH
01-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Man, y'all are packed in up there. I couldn't do it.
Even the pictures elicit slight pangs of claustrophobia.

But, I do enjoy the views into everyone's whereabouts.

Yea, but packed in with us are those that are nice to be packed in with!!! Well, long's the keep their mouths shut.

kd8dey
01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
dey: That's the place! Glad I wasn't hanging out my window naked that day. Come to thing of it, so's everyone else!

Yep...that's the place.
They make it a habit of hanging out their windows nekkid along 85th street ?? :)

W1GUH
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
No, they're glad I don't! :)