PDA

View Full Version : Low salt Canned Soups

n2ize
01-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Okay, I know that there is nothing like homemade soups and canned soup is a far cry from good home made stuff. . But sometimes at this time of year you just get a hankering for soup and you don't have time to make a homemade pot and that is where canned soup comes in. The thing is I tried some of these "low salt" canned soups and they just don't cut it unless I doctor them up with some salt, cheese, spices, etc. From now on I stick to regular canned soups. No low salt versions for me.

KG4CGC
01-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Reminds me of pizza doctor.
Not anymore though. Short of making fresh dough, I get crescent dough in a tube and lay it out and start topping.

NA4BH
01-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I get crescent dough in a tube and lay it out and start topping.

DUDE !!!!!!!?? :lol: :lol:

ab1ga
01-18-2011, 07:29 PM
The thing is I tried some of these "low salt" canned soups and they just don't cut it unless I doctor them up with some salt, cheese, spices, etc. From now on I stick to regular canned soups. No low salt versions for me.

I'll agree that the low salt foods aren't as good as homemade, but you can get used to less salt in your food, and after a while, you start tasting the excess salt in processed foods and get turned off by them.

I've had to go on a low-carb, low-protein, low-fat, low-sodium diet (yes, all that's left is grass), and when I started looking at labels I realized that limiting the salt pretty much took care of the other restrictions. Lemon juice, or fresh ground pepper, and some good seasonings work wonders with the bland stuff.

Or, you could just have a stock pot going all the time and have real soup!

KG4CGC
01-18-2011, 07:38 PM
DUDE !!!!!!!?? :lol: :lol:
I didn't say, "mounting."

kd8dey
01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I didn't say, "mounting."

Mounting pizza? Eheewe

N9FE
01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Search around a bit, You'll find them. Progresso is suppose to good.

ab1ga
01-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Search around a bit, You'll find them. Progresso is suppose to good.

But be careful comparing sodium levels. The Progresso cans are slightly larger, and the label says two servings per can.
When you do the math the ugly truth emerges.

KA5PIU
01-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Hello.

Soup in a can?!
For a Mexican that means Chili!
Just try and find that in healthy!
But, when asked, I point out that I do take care of my sodium intake, and outlet, and gas production, all at once! ;)

n6hcm
01-19-2011, 04:00 AM
The thing is I tried some of these "low salt" canned soups and they just don't cut it unless I doctor them up with some salt, cheese, spices, etc.

yeah, they're pretty meh.

the way many of these "low-" foods work is that while they're low in one component (salt, sugar, fat, carb), they're often higher in other components. it ends up being a wash if you eat moderately. there are exceptions, but this has been true for me more often than not.

W3MIV
01-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Good soup is too easy to make and put up in mason jars to futz around with cans -- with the solitary exception of tomato soup, of course, which being the de rigueur accompaniment of a grilled cheese (I make mine with Swiss) is a pantry must-have.

NQ6U
01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Hello.

Soup in a can?!
For a Mexican that means Chili!

Yeah? Then explain all the cans of menudo I see at the local Mexican supermarket... (http://www.northgatemarkets.com/).

w3bny
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I agree. the low salt soups are pretty darn good when you add salt to them.

Yeah? Then explain all the cans of menudo I see at the local Mexican supermarket... (http://www.northgatemarkets.com/).

Hey, Juanitas isnt that bad.

W3WN
01-19-2011, 12:24 PM
A lot of the "low sodium" soups are replacing table salt with sea salt. Offhand, I don't know what is different about sea salt than NaCl, but that might explain the different taste.

It could be nothing more than your taste buds are so conditioned to high-salt foods that you haven't adjusted yet to lower salts, and as a result, everything seems bland. I get that complaint from the boss all the time, because I keep salt during cooking to a minimum. I've adjusted to it, she hasn't. And yes, I can taste the differences when we go out to eat.

Personally, I can make a chicken soup (with vegetables) that will knock the socks off anything you can buy in the store. I just need the time to get the ingredients, prepare them, and simmer it. Slow cookers and crock pots are great for this... do the prep work the night before, leave in the fridge overnight, then let it cook during the day. House smells a lot better that way too (sure beats the usual house smell of "dog in need of a bath who's been sleeping on all the couches all day")

ab1ga
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
A lot of the "low sodium" soups are replacing table salt with sea salt. Offhand, I don't know what is different about sea salt than NaCl, but that might explain the different taste.

Not much difference between the two. Both are sodium chloride, one kind from evaporated seawater, the other from salt mines formed by the evaporation of really old seawater.
Sea salt may have more trace minerals in it than table salt, if the table salt has been purified after mining. Table salt also has iodine added to help prevent goiter, which may also account for the different taste.

If you haven't heard enough yet, check out the book "Salt" by Mark Kurlansky, which gives a detailed but still fascinating history of salt production, use, and taxation. There's also another book "The Great Hedge of India", which describes just how far an imperial power will go to ensure a market for its goods.