PDA

View Full Version : As if we didn't alread have enough to worry about...

W1GUH
01-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’ (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110117/us_yblog_thelookout/scientists-warn-california-could-be-struck-by-winter-superstorm)

Wonder if this is before or after the end of the world?

W5RB
01-17-2011, 07:01 PM
The terror industry is alive and booming . They thrive where there's grant money .

NQ6U
01-17-2011, 07:06 PM
I guess I better get my roof fixed real soon, then.

KG4CGC
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Pontoon the subflooring.

n2ize
01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
The terror industry is alive and booming . They thrive where there's grant money .

What 'terror industry" are you talking about ? I presume you buy into the hogwash that global warming isn't happening.

K7SGJ
01-17-2011, 08:08 PM

Might want to mod one of the HF rigs for MM also.

KG4CGC
01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Glenn Beck's commercial sponsors. Like the emergency food kit in a go pack.

NQ6U

I think I could already do that with my rig.

KG4CGC
Spot on!
lulz

W5RB
01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
What 'terror industry" are you talking about ? I presume you buy into the hogwash that global warming isn't happening.

Climate is a separate issue . I'm talking about the mindset presented by all the major media , and much of government, that tells us we must all be afraid of something , all the time . The attacks in September 2001 were terrible , but we've been done a disservice by those who have allowed the "response" to that become all-consuming , at the top of every newscast every day for nigh on 10 years . There really has become an industry , and it's beyond politics . It's the Mayan calendar , various "pandemics" , EMP , Supervolcanoes , to name only a few . It's giant , and when we buy it , the bad guys win .

KG4CGC
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Climate is a separate issue . I'm talking about the mindset presented by all the major media , and much of government, that tells us we must all be afraid of something , all the time . The attacks in September 2001 were terrible , but we've been done a disservice by those who have allowed the "response" to that become all-consuming , at the top of every newscast every day for nigh on 10 years . There really has become an industry , and it's beyond politics . It's the Mayan calendar , various "pandemics" , EMP , Supervolcanoes , to name only a few . It's giant , and when we buy it , the bad guys win .
well, a Saudi terror funder is part owner of News Corp.

NQ6U
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Climate is a separate issue . I'm talking about the mindset presented by all the major media , and much of government, that tells us we must all be afraid of something , all the time . [...] There really has become an industry

I Agree With You Completely on this one Russ. That might be a first! ;)

W5RB
01-17-2011, 08:48 PM
well, a Saudi terror funder is part owner of News Corp.

That would pale in comparison to the hundreds of billions of US tax dollars we send the terrorists , spending it in their own homelands . And that would be small compared to the complete repurposing of the population of this entire country . There were better ways to have dealt with those who dished up 9/11 . We'd have better honored the dead by rebuilding in Manhattan , and sending some small teams abroad to deal with the few resources they had remaining . Now , it's become more complicated .

W5RB
01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I Agree With You Completely on this one Russ. That might be a first! ;)

When we set the nasty nicknames and the cookie-cutter rhetoric aside , we might find we agree on much .
:)

NQ6U
01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
When we set the nasty nicknames and the cookie-cutter rhetoric aside , we might find we agree on much .
:)

You are probably right.

I downloaded the planning document the article was based on. It's very large and written mostly in Bureaucratese so I haven't read much of it. However, what it seems to be is an emergency preparedness plan for a what-if situation: "This sort of thing has happened in the past. It could happen again some time in the future. What can we do to be ready for it if it does?" You know--a wise bit of foresight. The press has spun it into some sort of doomsday scenario in order to help sell papers/generate Web hits.

W3WN
01-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Why not? You've bought into the hogwash that it has.

KC2UGV
01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
That would pale in comparison to the hundreds of billions of US tax dollars we send the terrorists , spending it in their own homelands . And that would be small compared to the complete repurposing of the population of this entire country . There were better ways to have dealt with those who dished up 9/11 . We'd have better honored the dead by rebuilding in Manhattan , and sending some small teams abroad to deal with the few resources they had remaining . Now , it's become more complicated .

Right, we could have not done anything in Iraq, and go after the group that actually did it; giving them 8 years to arm up, and dig in.

KG4CGC
01-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Better to fight them over there than over here.
-G.W. Bush

Wasn't that what they were telling everyone? And still telling everyone?

n2ize
01-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Why not? You've bought into the hogwash that it has.

Would argue with you if there was an argument. Only problem is that global warming is factual.

W4RLR
01-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Why not? You've bought into the hogwash that it has.Agreed. The South is shoveling, scraping, and watching up to 18 inches of "global warming" melt. Some roads in North Georgia are STILL impassable.

Extrapolating 100 years of data to 1000 years of history is a bit of a stretch in my estimation. But that is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

W3WN
01-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Agreed. The South is shoveling, scraping, and watching up to 18 inches of "global warming" melt. Some roads in North Georgia are STILL impassable.

Extrapolating 100 years of data to 1000 years of history is a bit of a stretch in my estimation. But that is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.
Exactly my point. Oh, there may well be a warming cycle in process... but we don't have enough data to determine if it's natural, man made, or man affected. And I will not be stampeded like fearful cattle because certain politicians deem it Politically Correct to blame it all on Western civilization.

But there's no point in trying to argue with someone who's mind is already made up. I have better things to waste my energy on, like trying to convince the wife to stop using all the hot water in the shower before I take mine in the morning...

PA5COR
01-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Global warming is a fact, 8 billion people each causing his/her footprint in Co2 is enough proof.
Registered measurements daily of temperature are done since 400 years.
The results is what we see daily in the news, disasters in rain/snow/drought/ fires that mock the once in 100 years events, because they now happen about every year.
Last year ( again) was the warmest global year on record, local snow and cold is weather, not climate.

But then, we here where 1/2 the country is below the surface of the sea keep a keen eye on the changes out of necessity.

N2CHX
01-18-2011, 08:23 AM

+100000

W1GUH
01-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Would argue with you if there was an argument. Only problem is that global warming is factual.

Yea, but John...if the warming that's happening is natural, there's no worries. It's only the warming caused by us people that will flood the cities. But natural warming? No worries...the cities won't flood!

KA5PIU
01-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Exactly my point. Oh, there may well be a warming cycle in process... but we don't have enough data to determine if it's natural, man made, or man affected. And I will not be stampeded like fearful cattle because certain politicians deem it Politically Correct to blame it all on Western civilization.

But there's no point in trying to argue with someone who's mind is already made up. I have better things to waste my energy on, like trying to convince the wife to stop using all the hot water in the shower before I take mine in the morning...

Hello.

Bypass valves on the water heater! (diverter valves)

KC2UGV
01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Agreed. The South is shoveling, scraping, and watching up to 18 inches of "global warming" melt. Some roads in North Georgia are STILL impassable.

We are not extrapolating 100 years of data to 1000 years of history. We have tree ring sampling as well as ice cores measuring the temps +/- 5 degrees or so back to when dinosaurs roamed.

Add to that, weather =/= climate. The south is getting snow, however this year is the warmest on record GLOBALLY. Did you know India is no longer a dry land? It's flush with rivers now. And this came from a native of India. He remembers his city being essentially an arid climate, now it's temperate, bordering on tropical.

So, you are saying, that it's inconclusive, that mankind releasing carbon in 200 years that took the planet billions to sequester has an effect?

W3WN
01-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I've said what I had to say many times before Corey, and you dismiss what I've had to say each time. I'm not starting that tired argument up again, since you have a predisposition to ignore or dismiss what I have to say anyway.

Like I said a few posts ago... I'm not going to waste any more time trying to discuss the matter with someone who's mind is already made up.

KC2UGV
01-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I've said what I had to say many times before Corey, and you dismiss what I've had to say each time. I'm not starting that tired argument up again, since you have a predisposition to ignore or dismiss what I have to say anyway.

Like I said a few posts ago... I'm not going to waste any more time trying to discuss the matter with someone who's mind is already made up.

Yes, my mind is made up. Carbon is a huge contributing green house gas. And we have released in the timespan of 200 years what Natural Cycles(TM) took billions to sequester.

So, to say we have not had an adverse effect on climate is ludicrous.

W1GUH
01-18-2011, 12:55 PM
(Record skipping...or maybe I'm under stress?)

Wish as much energy/hot air/BS was going into planning on warming if it's actually real than debating if it's real or not. I've said a million times....I can see people debating the fact or myth of global warming when they're knee-deep in water in the middle of Times Square.

NQ6U
01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
The whole "debate" about climate change is BS. All the things we need to do to combat anthropogenic climate change are things we should be doing for the good of the nation in any case.

W5GA
01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Does this happen before or after the San Andreas knocks the state flat?

W3WN
01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
The whole "debate" about climate change is BS. All the things we need to do to combat anthropogenic climate change are things we should be doing for the good of the nation in any case.

I don't have a problem with that. You tell me that we shouldn't emit waste into the atmosphere (be it CO2 or whatever) because it's pollution in one form or another, fine. No problem. It's the politcally-correct chicken-little scare tactics that I don't agree with.

W3WN
01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Does this happen before or after the San Andreas knocks the state flat?
Depends on whether or not Superman can repair the rift in the fault in time, considering that Lex Luthor arranged for the Navy missle to hit it.

k0ews
01-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Whether we agree with the climate change theories or not, we should all conserve just on general principal. That's the way I've always looked at it. I don't care why people recycle, reuse, conserve electricity, fuel, etc. I just care that they do. Period.

KG4CGC
01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Whether we agree with the climate change theories or not, we should all conserve just on general principal. That's the way I've always looked at it. I don't care why people recycle, reuse, conserve electricity, fuel, etc. I just care that they do. Period.
Yer tresspissin on mah raghts!

k0ews
01-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Yer tresspissin on mah raghts!
Yeah, probably. But none of the important ones... ;) Plus, it's just good economic sense. The less we use, the less it costs! Hell, after going to the gas station last night, I'm already starting to think about driving less. Wanna see a double dip recession? If gas spikes to the level it did in 2008, we just might.

W3MIV
01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Yeah, probably. But none of the important ones... ;) Plus, it's just good economic sense. The less we use, the less it costs! Hell, after going to the gas station last night, I'm already starting to think about driving less. Wanna see a double dip recession? If gas spikes to the level it did in 2008, we just might.

Wudderyew, sumkinda commonist? Um sennden ur name tew Joe Barton.

k0ews
01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Wudderyew, sumkinda commonist? Um sennden ur name tew Joe Barton.

I gotchyer Joe Barton right here pal.

n2ize
01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Exactly my point. Oh, there may well be a warming cycle in process... but we don't have enough data to determine if it's natural, man made, or man affected.

Actually we have huge amounts of factual scientific data to determine that there is a very high probablility that it is man made and it is very unlikely that it is just a natural bike.