PDA

View Full Version : Another "New" (to me) Toy

W3WN
01-16-2011, 07:06 PM
K3VX just left a few minutes ago.

He left behind a classic hybrid... Kenwood TS-520. With a spare set of finals, AC & DC power cords, installed CW filter.

I got it all for $100.

Now, I thought when Larry mentioned this the other night at the club meeting that this was from an estate. It's not, it was his... it got displaced by a rig he acquired from an estate.

A little bit of surface rust on the top, but otherwise everything appears intact.

I'm looking forward to firing this old beast up and seeing what it can do. And with the Omni on the Butternut vertical, and the Corsair on the wire, this rig can go on the Solarcon until I get one of the other verticals, or the flagpole, up next spring.

That's assuming I keep it... there is a certain Islander who should have gotten a PM from me, I know he's without rig, and if he wants this, he can have it for cost + shipping -- and Larry's OK with that. Otherwise, it's going to stay a spell.

Hmmm. Wonder what the remote VFO is going for on eBay these days? Or the digital readout?

w2amr
01-17-2011, 04:23 AM
K3VX just left a few minutes ago.

He left behind a classic hybrid... Kenwood TS-520. With a spare set of finals, AC & DC power cords, installed CW filter.

I got it all for $100.

Now, I thought when Larry mentioned this the other night at the club meeting that this was from an estate. It's not, it was his... it got displaced by a rig he acquired from an estate.

A little bit of surface rust on the top, but otherwise everything appears intact.

I'm looking forward to firing this old beast up and seeing what it can do. And with the Omni on the Butternut vertical, and the Corsair on the wire, this rig can go on the Solarcon until I get one of the other verticals, or the flagpole, up next spring.

That's assuming I keep it... there is a certain Islander who should have gotten a PM from me, I know he's without rig, and if he wants this, he can have it for cost + shipping -- and Larry's OK with that. Otherwise, it's going to stay a spell.

Hmmm. Wonder what the remote VFO is going for on eBay these days? Or the digital readout?

Years ago I bought a 520 with the remote VFO and the digital display. I had it hooked up to a transverter and used it on 432. Another one I should have hung on to.

W3WN
01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
I once had the matching Kenwood 6 & 2 meter transverters, back in the mid 80's. Never could get the information, at the time, to interface them with my (then) TS-430S. Ended up selling them off. Of course, now they're at the "hens teeth" level of rarity.

N8YX
01-17-2011, 11:06 AM
I once had the matching Kenwood 6 & 2 meter transverters, back in the mid 80's. Never could get the information, at the time, to interface them with my (then) TS-430S. Ended up selling them off. Of course, now they're at the "hens teeth" level of rarity.
I have 2x 2M and 1x 6M, with all the cables...

W3WN
01-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I have 2x 2M and 1x 6M, with all the cables...

Oh my. Are you interested in parting with any of them?

N8YX
01-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh my. Are you interested in parting with any of them?
But of course.

I also have 2x TS-820S + 2x R-820, 1x VFO-820, 2x AT-200 and 2x SP-820. It's all going up for sale.

W3WN
01-17-2011, 06:42 PM
But of course.

I also have 2x TS-820S + 2x R-820, 1x VFO-820, 2x AT-200 and 2x SP-820. It's all going up for sale.

Why does this always happen to me when I'm getting low on shekels? *sigh*

Send me a PM on the transverters whenever you're ready. Since I just picked up a Ten-Tec 1206 6 meter transverter for the Corsair, one of the 2 Meter ones sounds real attractive... if I've got enough left over.

Now, if you want to have table space for this (or more) at WASHFest, just let me know. I have an "in" with the hamfest administration...

n2ize
01-18-2011, 12:06 AM
years ago a friend of mine had a TS-520. Very nice radio. Too bad he got rid of it. From my vantage point the TS-520 is a modern radio, considering my HF gear doesn't go much past the early 1960's and is mostly 100% tubes and seperate transmit and receivers (Dow key switching). Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind having a TS-520 ... or a FT-101. All this older gear looks kind of neat along with my Tandberg and TEAC reel to reel tape decks. :) One day I'll post a picture if I ever clean up the clutter around here. :)

If I ever see a 520 at a reasonable price I'd buy it. All old radios are new toy's if you have never used them or, haven't used them in a while. :)