PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to N Idaho.

kc7jty
01-16-2011, 06:03 PM
http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/4328/lahti.png

put your best face forward (the Lahti couple)

NA4BH
01-16-2011, 06:07 PM
Looks like they've had "An Ass Whuppin Good Time".

W5RB
01-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Are those the lottery winners ?

KG4CGC
01-16-2011, 06:22 PM
$190 million ... anyone still want to, sidle up to that?
ETA: Oh now I see she's being painted as an angel. OK.

NA4BH
01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
They ought to just go ahead and give everything they own away and start living out of a box under a bridge. They ain't gonna be a rags to riches story.

ki4itv
01-16-2011, 06:35 PM
:lol:
I ain't gotta gud feelin' about this one.
190 million is enough to buy all the trouble you can handle, and then some.

W5RB
01-16-2011, 06:40 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/mega-millions-winner-holly-lahti-mugshot-battery-case/story?id=12617108

There's more story than the pics tell .

NQ6U
01-16-2011, 06:42 PM
I take back what I said about $190 million making up for a lot of things.

KG4CGC
01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
This will be a real dramatic situation. Hubby should just take his share and move as far away from her as possible, if he was smart.
Ah well, what do I know.

kc7jty
01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/16/mega-millions-lottery-winner-holly-lahtis-story-marred-by-jarri/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%7C195666

ki4itv
01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Allow me the pleasure of eating my words for a minute.
Mrs. will probably do fine. But, this probably won't be the last time we hear about estranged husband.

W3WN
01-16-2011, 08:16 PM
For all the joking we were doing in the other thread the other day... this is going to end up ugly.

For the sake of her and her kids, I hope the hubby is willing to accept a big chunk, walk away, and never darken her door again. Even after taxes, there'll be more than enough.

But I have a hunch it won't go down so easy.

kc7jty
01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
He hasn't paid any child support for years. Whatever he gets is going to be garnished by the state big time.

W3WN
01-16-2011, 11:19 PM
He hasn't paid any child support for years. Whatever he gets is going to be garnished by the state big time.

...and then given right back to her. If they each get a pair of smart lawyers, this will all be negotiated.

Yeah, I know. IF.

W5RB
01-17-2011, 04:13 AM
...and then given right back to her. If they each get a pair of smart lawyers, this will all be negotiated endlessly , until the entire prize is consumed in legal expenses .

Fixed that for ya . She might've been better off if she'd held back on her claim , pressed to complete the pending divorce , then claimed the prize . Set up a trust for the 2 kids , and let him sue for anything he thinks he could get . Hopefully this will work out for the best , and not turn into a reality show .

W3WN
01-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Fixed that for ya . She might've been better off if she'd held back on her claim , pressed to complete the pending divorce , then claimed the prize . Set up a trust for the 2 kids , and let him sue for anything he thinks he could get . Hopefully this will work out for the best , and not turn into a reality show .
Well, that's why I said "smart" lawyers -- as in lawyers who actually do what's best for their clients, not their own pockets.

Lawyer jokes aside... there are a few like that. Mike K3AIR for one. Of course, he was a human being for a good many years before he finished law school and became a lawyer 4 years ago. That may make a difference.

Ahem.

Anyway, if either or both of the two start bickering, yes, the lawyers will end up with more of the $$$ than they should. And I don't think it would have mattered if she filed for divorce before she applied for the state -- you would think that his lawyer would argue in court (and probably win the argument) that since they were technically married at the time she won the prize...

This is why the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (they are NOT a State, as they keep reminding us, but that's another story) requires that for any major prize (I think over $500, which has to be paid by the State Lottery folks in Harrisburg, not by the ticket agent... which means they know who you are for tax purposes, natch), both spouses MUST sign the ticket, even if they are separated, until they are legally divorced.

W5RB
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Yep , the eventual outcome might well be the same , it'd just have put her in the power seat to make him come ask for it . And comparisons to buzzards or catfish aside , I've benefited twice in my life from dealing with attorneys . Positive dealings with two of them finally broke me of the habit I'd acquired just after the divorce , of always prefacing the word "lawyer" with "f###ing" .

ab1ga
01-17-2011, 12:22 PM
... And I don't think it would have mattered if she filed for divorce before she applied for the state -- you would think that his lawyer would argue in court (and probably win the argument) that since they were technically married at the time she won the prize...

We had a similar situation here in Massachusetts with a Megabucks winner, so I asked a lawyer friend of mine about it. He basically said "Nice try, no dice." The winnings are an asset subject to division just like any other, and that asset comes into existence the second the winning numbers are drawn. He even said that failure to declare the existence of the winning ticket would constitute a fraud upon the court, with a readily anticipated unfavorable outcome.

Laws are written by packs of lawyers. Trying to skirt the law is trying to bamboozle a pack of lawyers. You need major mojo to pull that off, and most regular folks can't afford it.