PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming Young Hams to the Hobby.

n2ize
01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
How are we supposed to be welcomning new hams into the hobby if a young 12 year old ham can spend 1/2 hour calling in to a prominent repeater and not get acknoledged by anyone listening ?

Such was the case a couple nights ago. I was on the phone and had my radio tuned to a rather popular, prominent, local repeater at prime time. In the backgound I heard a young voice calling in to the repeater over and over again yet not one station acknowleged him. Yeah, i know, it could be that no licensed ham was listening at the time. But somehow, I highly doubt it. Finally after about a half hour I get off the phone and 5 minutes later I again hear the youngster call in. I grab my radio and acknowledge him. Turns out he's 12, recently licensed and he had some questions about VHF/UHF antennas. I answeed them the best I could and finally some other ham chimed in with some suggestions of some specific brands of antennas.

Again, last night the same thing happened. I hears the same young ham calling in with no acknowledgement until I grabbed my radio and acknowledged him. This time we talked about Hf antennas, power levels on HF, antenna tuners and hf stuff. Nobody else joined our QSO. I hope my suggestions were helpful to this youngster. Both times I welcomed him to the hobby and tried to give him encouragement.

Question I have is, we hear the mantra over and over that "we must bring new blood into the hobby". Great idea..,. But how is that going to happen if hams don't acknowledge young hams when they come on the radio ? What kind of encouragement is a young ham going to receive if he can call in on a popular local repeater at prime time and get no response ? I can't be out there all the time. Nor is my advice all the advice this youngster needs. He needs the support and advice of the amateur community to lend their knowledge and expertise.

I generally try and acknowledge young people and try and make them feel welcome as well as try and give them the best technical advice I can, I hope more hams out there do the same.

PA5COR
01-14-2011, 06:30 PM
I personally trained 50 kids/people into their license now, mostly at my costs and time, and in that period of learning, soldering a project, and spend 10 hours here on the radio 160 - 70 cm is part of the training, so they already made a bundle of contacts under my supervision, mostly worldwide.
Even a Novice license here is good for parts of 40/20/and the whole 10 meter band, and 2/70 full.
Added benefit, they actually must recognise components, learn to solder and do some fault searching if the project does not work.
And have "hands on" experience in antena's tuners radio's etc.

n2ize
01-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I personally trained 50 kids/people into their license now, mostly at my costs and time, and in that period of learning, soldering a project, and spend 10 hours here on the radio 160 - 70 cm is part of the training, so they already made a bundle of contacts under my supervision, mostly worldwide.
Even a Novice license here is good for parts of 40/20/and the whole 10 meter band, and 2/70 full.
Added benefit, they actually must recognise components, learn to solder and do some fault searching if the project does not work.
And have "hands on" experience in antena's tuners radio's etc.

That is very nice to hear. The only way to get new people into this hobby is by helping them to develop the skills and curiosity to experiment. I hope more amateur ops are following your path and reaching out and helping new radio operators.

W4GPL
01-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I started out at age 13 -- the vast majority of the older guys in the club & on the air were very welcoming. All you can do is be as supportive as possible in your own way, and remind us from time to time that we should to the same.

PA5COR
01-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Having the new hams making qso's for 10 hours minimum during the lessons frees them of being "scared "of the microphone/digital signals. and get a short CW intro.
Most of our VERON club also get the new calls, and will do their best to take them in.
For the rest it's to them ;)

kd8dey
01-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Typically, A new ham after he/she makes themselves known they are automatically accused of being the one ker-chunking the repeater for the past 6 months regardless of the fact that they have only had their license/first radio for a few days. Happened to me.

I rarely get on except to listen to the antics on 11m, since one of the few Hams I did talk to passed away while I was in a nursing home. The other one moved and the old friend that talked me into getting my ticket got bummed out that he couldn't reach me other than by repeater AND Their local Nazi didn't like the Idea that we were not members talking on it when they have 3 repeaters and that particular repeater was rarely used.

Been thinking about letting my ticket lapse, selling out and using the money for lab equipment.

n2ize
01-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Typically, A new ham after he/she makes themselves known they are automatically accused of being the one ker-chunking the repeater for the past 6 months regardless of the fact that they have only had their license/first radio for a few days. Happened to me.

I rarely get on except to listen to the antics on 11m, since one of the few Hams I did talk to passed away while I was in a nursing home. The other one moved and the old friend that talked me into getting my ticket got bummed out that he couldn't reach me other than by repeater AND Their local Nazi didn't like the Idea that we were not members talking on it when they have 3 repeaters and that particular repeater was rarely used.

Been thinking about letting my ticket lapse, selling out and using the money for lab equipment.

I generally do more listening than talking, particularly when it comes to VHF and repeaters. I find it best not to become too popular out there for some of the same reasons you mention above.

suddenseer
01-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Been thinking about letting my ticket lapse, selling out and using the money for lab equipment.The last time i used a 2m repeater was when my friend died back in 2001. They used to be very busy in the Dayton area, lots of fun. I need a new mic for my 241 Kenwood, I could probably hit you simplex. 147.585 was where most of us lone wolf misfits would hang out. Often, we would push the envelope. Many of the stuffed shirt repeater control ops would monitor simplex to find out if they were being talked about, yes they were.

n3aiu
01-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Keep newcomers away from repeaters. Cell phones work better and you don't have to put up with jerks.

On VHF, get them interested in Es/tropo on 6 and 2. When they upgrade, get them involved with DX and/or PSK and/or ... . Nothing more thrilling than using the ionosphere instead of cell towers. There's also antenna/electronics/software projects.

n2ize
01-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Keep newcomers away from repeaters. Cell phones work better and you don't have to put up with jerks.

Repeaters are probably the WORST way you can introduce a new comer to this hobby. Repeaters are still way too cliquish and certain people will only acknowledge persons that they know. Most of the time if you put your call letters over a repeater you won't get a response. Many repeater clubs don;t like it if you use their repeater and you're not a dues paying club member despite the fact that they advertise their repeater as "open".

On VHF, get them interested in Es/tropo on 6 and 2. When they upgrade, get them involved with DX and/or PSK and/or ... . Nothing more thrilling than using the ionosphere instead of cell towers. There's also antenna/electronics/software projects.

Agreed. These are much better areas of focus. If I were to comprise a list of activities for a newcomer to get involved with, repeater usage would be at the bottom of the list. It's just not a good starter point for a noob.

KC2UGV
01-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Or packet... VHF rigs are dirt cheap, and everyone has a computer. The interface makes a nice first-time project, one that they can learn the blocks required, and what ones look optional at first, but find out quickly they are not. It's a nice "theory vs. real world" project, and can be done in a single night.

They will also quickly learn whose antenna is doing the most work to make the contact :) In two weeks I learned more about VHF characteristics than in the year and a half prior, and never actually talked to anyone. KC2UGV-8 <--> KC2UGV-9.

n0eq
01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't feel an obligation to answer every "listening" call I hear. Nor do I feel an obligation to answer every CQ I hear on HF. If I walked into a bar, and sat down, I wouldn't expect everyone in the place to suddenly pay attention to me. Doesn't have anything to do with new hams or old hams. I answer stations/hams I think I might want to talk to.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
www.n0eq.com (http://www.n0eq.com)

N9FE
01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
I've brought 6 young folks and three older guys into the hobby. One young man with learning problems we had to read to questions to is a general today. There are alot of bad apples all over the bands.

n0eq
01-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Is a ham a "bad apple" if he doesn't answer someone on a repeater? Maybe we should demand every ham buy a radio capable of operating on repeater frequencies and also demand he scan all the freq's so that if anyone wants to say "listening" they can get their coveted reply.

Answer who you want to talk to. If you don't want to talk don't answer.
Elmer whoever you want to elmer. Or don't if you don't want to. Nobody is
a "bad apple" just because they don't answer someone on a repeater.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

N9FE
01-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Nice attitude.. Now you know why this hobby is dying.

ki4itv
01-28-2011, 07:30 AM
These days, if you look too eager to speak to every young kid on the air, you'll probably get the raised eyebrow and labeled a creep.
Lumpy is making some good points and I hardly think his opinion reflects a bad attitude, mainly because I don't think he was speaking directly to the issue of new hams.
But let's face it, Many hams are just not especially good at speaking to kids. I've noticed that usually the people who are better at it tend to be the ones doing it and that's probably for the best.

Should more of us jump in because we know what it's like? Yea, probably so.

n2ize
01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
I find that the best way to speak with kids on the air is to speak with them much the same as you speak to older hams (of course avoiding any off-colour humor or comments). They seem to appreciate being spoken to normally as opposed to being spoken to in "kid talk". They also don;t always like the redundant questions that many adults always ask... "what school do you go to ?", "what video games do you like ?" etc. At the same time there is no need to be overly friendly. Just be normal.

Generally I find young people are inquisitive. They like to ask questions. They want to learn. Best approach is to give them honest answers to the best of your ability. And, don't be afraid to tell a youngster... "I don't know". Young people have a way of knowing when you're throwing them a line of bull.

Speaking of younger hams I just got a QSL card from a 12 year old ham who I spoke to on VHF. I had a nice chat with him the other night about radio controlled planes, cars, helicopters. he asked me a lot of questions about planes and helicopters and I gave him the best and most honest answers that I could. Likewise, he told me he has had some experience with RC cars and I asked him a few questions about cars... i,.e what type of cars, engines, etc. he recommends.

I also don't entirely agree with Lumpy. Of course you don;t have to answer every "KCXABC Listening" call you hear. I sure don't. But, I do think it is worthwhile every so often to try to go out of your way to answer a call from a youngster who is just starting out. It;'s very disheartening to a youngster who just got his license to find that nobody wants to respond. Plus, it is less awkward if more hams speak to the person as opposed to just one. Problems is I think that a lot of older hams might feel intimidated speaking with young operators. Perhaps that kid might ask a question that they can't answer ?

The bottom line is, ham radio is a social hobby. Unlike RC where you're radio is "talking" to an inanimate object, ham radio is social and is about people be they male, female, young or very old. How can we expect young people to take an interest and the hobby to continue if we don't speak to them and encourage them ??

n2ize
01-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice attitude.. Now you know why this hobby is dying.

Agreed.

n0eq
01-28-2011, 08:12 PM
The hobby is dying because I choose not to answer everyone who breaks squelch on a repeater?

Jeez.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

KG4CGC
01-28-2011, 08:16 PM
The hobby is dying because I choose not to answer everyone who breaks squelch on a repeater?

Jeez.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
The hobby is stagnated a bit due to competing interests. Perhaps this is why the ARRL has latched on to Emcommwack like a school girl on her first date with her crush.

ki4itv
01-28-2011, 08:31 PM
I think the hobby isn't dying. It just isn't growing fast enough for the commercially, emotionally, or organizationally invested interest.
This hobby isn't for everyone and was never intended to be.
Our problem is that some think it should be for everyone and our national organization is trying to make it so by diluting its true value.
The amateur radio allocations are like a international park for radio enthusiast... nothing more, nothing less.

Whackity whack...please talk back. rgr.

n2ize
01-28-2011, 08:40 PM

Jeez.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

That's not what is being discussed here. I don't acknowledge everyone who passes through my squelch. The discussion is about how to encourage young blood into the hobby. Obviously ignoring them when they do finally get licensed and get on the air won't encourage them. perhaps the best solution is to encourage them to get on HF instead of VHF. It's not even a matter of the hobby dying or living. It's about getting young people interested and encouraging the ones who already have the interest to continue and learn.

NQ6U
01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
If I'm not doing something else, I'll generally answer whenever I hear someone with a call sign I'm not familiar with on a local repeater. That's because I remember how I felt when I first got my ticket and it took a month or more before someone finally answered me.

N9FE
01-29-2011, 05:27 AM

Jeez.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke
www.n0eq.com (http://www.n0eq.com) It's all about YOU Lumpy. As stated ... Nice Attitude.

suddenseer
01-29-2011, 10:54 AM
That's not what is being discussed here. I don't acknowledge everyone who passes through my squelch. The discussion is about how to encourage young blood into the hobby. Obviously ignoring them when they do finally get licensed and get on the air won't encourage them. perhaps the best solution is to encourage them to get on HF instead of VHF. It's not even a matter of the hobby dying or living. It's about getting young people interested and encouraging the ones who already have the interest to continue and learn.I hate to sound like an old koot, but when I entered the hobby the Novice ticket was the entry level ticket. Usually, the Elmer conducted the exam mine did. So VE's were around a long time ago. Back then, I did not even know any Technician class hams. I did not tx on vhf until I had the General ticket. That was then, today with all of the compact digital devices ham radio might seem like restoring old tractors to a young person. A very old hobby that does not interest most. Back in the 70's the repeaters were just as cliquish. I went to the local electronics store to order crystals for the local 2m repeater, and the store owner gave me hell about it because I had not joined the club that ran it. He would not order them until I joined.

When I was 8, I wanted to be a ham so I could talk to Herman Munster.
http://www.smartrepeater.info/images/HermanCQs.jpg

N9FE
01-29-2011, 11:32 AM
. It's not even a matter of the hobby dying or living. It's about getting young people interested and encouraging the ones who already have the interest to continue and learn. + 100 In a nut shell!!!!

suddenseer
01-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I always try to work a newbie, or a younger sounding voice on a repeater. When I used the local repeaters, I almost always would call them. I had a 30 minute QSO last summer with a new ham on one of the NYC machines via the 10 meter link. He had some sort of walkie talkie and was transmitting on 2m. There were some West African 10 meter stations coming in. There were about 20, or so other hams from all over specifically calling him. I could detect the thrill in his voice. He was having a blast, and I was having fun just listening to him. The experience brought back familiar feelings.

n0eq
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
It's all about YOU Lumpy. As stated ... Nice Attitude.

Why yes...it IS all about me.

It's all about what I want to get out of the hobby. That's pretty much the definition
of a hobby, I'd say. I don't know anyone that takes up bowling or RC planes or
RR foaming for the purpose of what they can contribute to the world.

Some guy answering every squelch break on a repeator who wants
to consider himself the savior of mankind. I guess that's what you think
will encourage youngsters to join the hobby.

Here's a trout slap to the mandible...Kids have a thousand BETTER ways
to communicate with others already. They can communicate faster, cheaper,
with more flash and gadgets and WITH THEIR OWN PEERS than anything ham
radio can offer. "Hey kid, for an investment of just several hundred to several
thousand dollars, you can have a one way simplex communication with a guy
the age of your grandfather about topics that neither one of you understand
about each other". Wow, that sounds exciting.

I say, LOOK for the kids that will be excited about the technical aspect of ham.
Look for the geeks that want to mess with electronics. THAT is an aspect of ham
radio that beats SOME other hobbies. Yet they still might pursue computers, robots
or some other electronics related hobby. And they could do that without having to
deal with a bunch of OFs.

My guess is that most current hams of any age aren't particularly electronics oriented.
Ask any ham on the air "What kind of antenna"
and you'll nearly always get "A Binford XYZ-2000". They can't even tell you if it's a dipole
or a ground plane or a collinear or anything else. It's simply an appliance. "I BOUGHT a
G5RV because I heard it was supposed to be the best".

So I'm not buying it about how you think YOU are saving the world's youth and
that I'M doing a disservice to them. If YOU have something to offer kids, then by
all means offer it to them. I'll do whatever in the world I want to do with my
involvement in the hobby. If that means I don't answer every squelch break,
then by-frackie, that's exactly what I'll do.

Because...It's all about me.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

N8YX
02-03-2011, 11:53 AM
You get modern-day kids involved with amateur radio by first teaching them basic electricity...then basic electronics...then advanced applied electronics. Somewhere along the way, those with a genuine interest in the practical application side of things will realize that all of those parts which they've been learning about can be arranged in configurations which enable them to explore the airwaves. And they'll want to take the next step - doing just that.

Somewhat analogous to the 'better ways to communicate' talking point is a comparison of the automobile to an HPV. It's true that many young people hang their pedal bikes up for good when they acquire their first car, but something is keeping the likes of Cannondale, Trek, Giant and all the other high-end bike makers in business. Simply stated: There are times where the bicycle is the logical choice. Teaching kids to differentiate then appreciate the value of each technology type is key to recruiting young(er) people to the ranks.