PDA

View Full Version : Roast Chicky

kc7jty
01-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Making a roast chicky in the convection oven with lemon juice, EV olive oil, rosemary, salt & pepper, & chopped fresh onion.
To pair with Pinot Noir from Chile, steamed broccoli, & some whole grain crusty bread.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/bigcomps/FDC/FDC010/975191.jpghttp://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/0432-0812-1410-5938_whole_grain_bread.jpghttp://www.cheapwineratings.com/images/pepperwood.pinotnoir.jpg

NQ6U
01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Sounds great, but a tip from my grandmother, who ran restaurants in Italy: save the EV olive oil for salads and such. It's wasted in anything else.

W5GA
01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Sounds great, but a tip from my grandmother, who ran restaurants in Italy: save the EV olive oil for salads and such. It's wasted in anything else.
Is that olive oil generally, or just the EV?

NQ6U
01-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Is that olive oil generally, or just the EV?

Just the EV. She used a lower grade of olive oil for most things and saved the extra virgin for salads. She said that on something like a roast chicken, you can't really pick up the subtleties of flavor in the oil so using the pricey stuff is a waste.

W3MIV
01-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Just the EV. She used a lower grade of olive oil for most things and saved the extra virgin for salads. She said that on something like a roast chicken, you can't really pick up the subtleties of flavor in the oil so using the pricey stuff is a waste.

Nonna was correct (as usual). Save the EVOO for use where the quality of the oil can be tasted. I like to use an EVOO that a friend's brother harvests and presses in Spoleto as a dip. Mince or crush some fresh herbs (basil or rosemary) and just a tad of fresh garlic in the oil and dip crusty wop bread in it. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt on a slice of tomato and add it or a slice of cold Bosc pear and a thin slice of Gorgonzola as toppers. Fat man's delight!

kc7jty
01-15-2011, 02:52 AM
wop
WHAT!?

I buy the EV in the LARGE container & use it for everything including my fried egg sandwich in the morning. Used some bacon grease a couple months back not to waste it and thought eeeww.

kc7jty
01-15-2011, 02:56 AM
Actually had too much rosemary & lemon juice without enough salt but sure beat the hell outta the store rotisserie bombs. Pinot is wonderful with roast chicken.

W3MIV
01-15-2011, 07:02 AM
WHAT!?

I buy the EV in the LARGE container & use it for everything including my fried egg sandwich in the morning. Used some bacon grease a couple months back not to waste it and thought eeeww.

I was raised on EVERYTHING being fried in bacon fat. Hell, the old lady even fried pancakes in it (no joke!). Some time in the late fifties she started to switch to Crisco, which I hate to this day. I still use BF for my eggs (which I only rarely eat anymore), but for nothing else. Had the virtue of being free, which appealed more strongly to the old Mick than anything else. If she caught anyone frying with butter it was a capital offense.

One problem I find with buying large containers of any oil is that it can go rancid so damned fast. I can't stand the smell or taste of rancid oil. Also olive oil smokes when used for frying and other high-heat uses. I like to stir-fry in a wok, and peanut is better.

Actually had too much rosemary & lemon juice without enough salt but sure beat the hell outta the store rotisserie bombs. Pinot is wonderful with roast chicken.

Rosemary is very powerful stuff, the more so when fresh. Too powerful. A nice big sprig or two looks great in a photo, so we always used the sprigs when shooting studio setups of food, but the stuff's way too powerful on the palate. Few chopped leaves work much better, IMO.

Try tarragon with chicken next time.

W1GUH
01-15-2011, 07:37 AM
WHAT!?

The term "wop" started out with no negative connotations. It was coined on Ellis Island in its heyday. If an immigrant had no papers, he was described as "without papers", or w.o.p.

W1GUH
01-15-2011, 07:38 AM
I was raised on EVERYTHING being fried in bacon fat. Hell, the old lady even fried pancakes in it (no joke!). Some time in the late fifties she started to switch to Crisco, which I hate to this day. I still use BF for my eggs (which I only rarely eat anymore), but for nothing else. Had the virtue of being free, which appealed more strongly to the old Mick than anything else. If she caught anyone frying with butter it was a capital offense.

One problem I find with buying large containers of any oil is that it can go rancid so damned fast. I can't stand the smell or taste of rancid oil. Also olive oil smokes when used for frying and other high-heat uses. I like to stir-fry in a wok, and peanut is better.

Rosemary is very powerful stuff, the more so when fresh. Too powerful. A nice big sprig or two looks great in a photo, so we always used the sprigs when shooting studio setups of food, but the stuff's way too powerful on the palate. Few chopped leaves work much better, IMO.

My preference (and I'm a complete traditionalist when it comes to roasts) for fowl is Bell's and Thyme.

W3MIV
01-15-2011, 08:16 AM
...I'm a complete traditionalist when it comes to roasts...

But one man's tradition is another man's sacrilege. I sense that Billhelm is a gastronome, an experimenter with foods of various sorts, and that he likes to stretch the margins. It's a good thing to innovate, even when the result is less than satisfying. There is an old adage that a man cannot appreciate the heights unless he has spent some time in the valleys. Alas, today's markets are filled to overflowing with valleys to sample, and this makes innovation all the more desirable and important.

kc7jty
01-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Been using tarragon & onions with chicken for decades. Rosemary is nice, just used a bit too much.

kc7jty
01-15-2011, 07:19 PM
It's a good thing to innovate, even when the result is less than satisfying. There is an old adage that a man cannot appreciate the heights unless he has spent some time in the valleys. Alas, today's markets are filled to overflowing with valleys to sample, and this makes innovation all the more desirable and important.

another succinct masterpiece